Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
271 More Yards Travis!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 3,102

271 More Yards Travis!

Dec 1, 2020, 1:10 PM

Officially Travis Etienne is ahead of Ted Brown. But, they didn't include Brown's 399 bowl season yards. Travis would have the official and unofficial record if he gets 271 more yards including bowl games.
I haven't seen the carries for each - but one would think Brown had at least double the opportunities! Remember offenses back then were heavy run. Then run more. Which in my "possibly biased mind" means Travis is still head and shoulders the best all time rusher in ACC history!

Think he gets it?

I do. I could see him going off on VT for over 150 yards or more. We'll see - i'm pulling for it to happen. That way they can take their little asterisk off.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/leaders/rush-yds-player-career.html

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And make sure it doesn't require rescheduling Florida State!

Dec 1, 2020, 1:13 PM

Just go ahead and get all 271 this week!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Clemson has to reschedule FSU...

Dec 1, 2020, 1:30 PM

Dabo will beat the brakes off of them as payback for all the BS trouble and expense they caused.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: 271 More Yards Travis!

Dec 1, 2020, 1:45 PM

Ted Brown's records:

860 Carries, 4602 yds, 5.4 avg, 49 tds,82 receptions, 760 yds, 2 tds.

Travis already has him beat, in everything except what you point out (total yards, including bowls).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 1:46 PM

ETN has shared the rock a lot over his career. If Dabo used personell like most coaches, ETN would have many many more yards.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 1:55 PM

Brown: 860 carries for 4602 yards. 5.6 ypc, 49 tds

ETN: 650 carries for 4730 yards. 7.3 ypc, 68 tds

Not sure either what Brown's carries were for the postseason, but I can't imagine it was that far off of his regular season averages.

It makes no sense to me why they don't just go back and include his postseason stats as they have them all anyway. They should do this across the board for anyone who's stats are confirmed/not in question.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 3:27 PM

Ted Brown was an exceptional RB. By all measures, I think Travis is a better RB, but I fail to understand how Brown's post season yards don't count towards his total yards while ETN's do? I heard Brown in an interview. He was very complimentary of Travis and Travis setting the record, but to me if we are fair, Ted Brown still holds the all time total yards record. I agree, go get 271 and end the discussion.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 5:21 PM

Don't quote me on the year, but up until a certain point (I believe it was around 2001-2002 range), they didn't count postseason stats. Back in the day there weren't all that many bowls, so it wasn't fair to players whose teams didn't make the bowl games.

They made the change as there are now so many bowl games that it leveled the playing field a bit, but didn't make the change retroactive. It would've been difficult to find accurate bowl stats for many players prior to say, 1970 or even earlier, so they just didn't bother to count anyone's stats retroactively.

It's really getting more unfair again than it even was back when there were few bowls, as guys that play for Clemson/Bama/etc often get an extra 3 games per season than a guy who's team doesn't make a bowl. (Conference Championship, Playoff, Natty)

Seems to me they should count the stats for the players that they can verify (actual video footage, or some other verification method), and then maybe add an asterisk to any earlier players who they are not able to verify postseason statistics for, stating that they may have additional yardage during bowl games.

Edit... found this archived article talking about the change: http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/news/2002/0828/1423821.html#:~:text=It%20was%20silly%20not%20to,sport%20they%20include%20the%20postseason.%20%E2%80%9D&text=When%20the%20NCAA%20started%20keeping,that%20many%20teams%2C%20Johnson%20said.

Message was edited by: CU13®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Re: 271 More Yards Travis! ]

CU13® said:

Brown: 860 carries for 4602 yards. 5.6 ypc, 49 tds

ETN: 650 carries for 4730 yards. 7.3 ypc, 68 tds

Not sure either what Brown's carries were for the postseason, but I can't imagine it was that far off of his regular season averages.

It makes no sense to me why they don't just go back and include his postseason stats as they have them all anyway. They should do this across the board for anyone who's stats are confirmed/not in question.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for posting this.

Wow, it's a no contest! Give Travis the Carries Brown had and it's a landslide! It was case closed before. But to me whether he gets 271 or not - "it's closed and sealed"!

Thank You all who commented. I enjoyed reading them all. Good stuff!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 2:52 PM

Just come back next year and set a record that will NEVER be broken or at least until the next pandemic hits, hopefully way long after we are all dead.
But, if some have it their way, one day you may see that people will get credit for the yards that they tried to get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2020, 2:54 PM

Travis has become a generational talent at RB. He didn't start out that way but Clemson coaching has developed his talent to a level that will not be seen for awhile. Trevor might have come to Clemson as a Generational talent at QB but Travis has worked to become the same thing at RB!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Per WickerPedia,

Dec 1, 2020, 4:11 PM

Ted Brown rushed 860 times for 4602 yards, including bowl games.

That same reference right now has Travis at 650 carries for 4730 yards.

So, if you excrapolate Travis out to the same number of carries at his same yards per carry, you would get:

860 rushes for 6258 yards.

That is some sirius power and speed on the hoof right there, like Secretariat!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 3,102
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic