Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3rd Quarter, LSU 3rd and long, we're down by 3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

3rd Quarter, LSU 3rd and long, we're down by 3

Jan 28, 2020, 9:01 AM

Last night the Natty was playing again, so I watched it until Skalski was ejected for targeting.

We had some momentum and down by 3. We held Joe to short or no gains. 3rd and I think 11(?).

Why did we send the house? They ran a perfect screen for major yardage. I think it was the turning point, or at least sucked the mo out of us. Skalski was ejected right after that, and that sucked some more.

I wonder if this was a mistake by Coach V to send almost everyone. We had been harassing him all night with one or two blitzing. Was it a miscommunication by our D where no one stayed at home?

Oh well, I turned it off right after that. Normally, I DVR every game, and I deleted this as soon as it was over.

The best is still to come!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP..a bummer

Jan 28, 2020, 9:14 AM

that and another 3rd & long won the night for those set of Tigers.

Congrats to them..

and many many thanks for our guys giving it 110% even when the O & D weren’t clicking on all 8 cylinders, overall.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree..a bummer. But spring is close, I can't wait!***

Jan 28, 2020, 9:29 AM

Ironically, 3rd down is what helped us beat Bama last time.

Jan 28, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to YeP..a bummer ]

3rd down success is thing in big-time college football.

Cool thing is Clemson is 110% BIG TIME college football these days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, this. Almost every single time Bama had us in a 3rd & long

Jan 28, 2020, 10:13 AM

and were about to get the ball back... we converted. And in a lot of cases, made incredible plays to do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: 3rd Quarter, LSU 3rd and long, we're down by 3

Jan 28, 2020, 9:19 AM

Just wasnt our night. Defense gave us a great start to the game but offense could only get 17 out of it and just never found a rhythm the rest of the night (credit to LSUs def)
Then once their defense kept getting Burrow the ball back, it was just a matter of time until that offense scored.
Wasnt our night... but we will have more nights... #Roaring20s

There were two 3rd and longs that I think turned the game,

Jan 28, 2020, 9:22 AM

the one you just mentioned and one on a previous drive on which they scored. Get the ball back in those two situations, who knows.

I am not revising the game. Any game can turn on a few plays, and they made them and we didn't, and that is what football is. And even if we make those plays we know that the offense was in some sort of alternate world both on the field and on the phone (give LSU credit for that, but OSU's defense was tougher than theirs), so the effect of changing those two plays is not guaranteed at all. But yes, I would love to see what would have happened.

But when we're third and long and we make a great play to Tee or Ross, we talk about how great we are. Because we are. Works both ways.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There were two 3rd and longs that I think turned the game,

Jan 28, 2020, 9:32 AM

Yep, the last 3 quarters of the season we scored 40 plus points on everybody we played. We enter the playoffs and our Offense bogs down, 29 points against OSU. and 25 points against LSU. IMO, those two DC's exposed our offense and was ready for what Tony called, and IMO, they had learned how Tony patterned his calls, and they had somebody in TL's face on about every pass play!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2020, 2:50 AM [ in reply to There were two 3rd and longs that I think turned the game, ]

"give LSU credit for that, but OSU's defense was tougher than theirs"

Not sure which metric you are using to make this observation.

Clemson offensive yards in the two games are almost the same, with the difference being that ETN had slightly more yards against LSU. Two of your major offensive plays were gimmick plays(yes they count) but smack of desperation & told our defense that Dabo knew he wasn't going to have lots of success against our D. Which he didn't.

Clemson had 16 possessions against LSU; 14 against OSU (14% more to gain yards and score) we scored more and kicked off. Two additional possessions yet the Clemson offensive output was 5% LESS against LSU than against OSU. 30 yards/possession against OSU vs 25 yds/poss against LSU(17% less).

Clemson punted 9 times against LSU (season high); punted 7 times against OSU.

Then there were the scoring plays, both numbering 4. But 4 TDs against OSU and 3 TDs against LSU. Again, Clemson scored TDs 29% of possessions against OSU and only 19% against LSU.

And Trevor, who is very good, had a subpar passing game because he was moved off his mark by LSU's defense and had to throw on the run consistently. His QBR of 65 (LSU) vs 92 in the OSU game shows that LSU's D was doing things to confuse and harass him most of the night.

Not sure how you can continue to disrespect the LSU defense when you actually look at the numbers.

Feb 2, 2020, 12:15 PM

Yes, OSU defense was better than LSU’s. Sorry. LSU still the overall better team though

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2020, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: There were two 3rd and longs that I think turned the game, ]

Have not rewatched the second half, but in the first half TL was not sharp. He made some errors that would have resulted in yards with his arm and with his feet... there was a play where he and ETN got all screwed up and instead of going where the play was supposed to go; where the hole was open, they ran to the right and lost yards. The o-line had a hell of a good game, on run plays they were moving guys off the ball-2-5 yards, linebackers and d backs coming and making tackles. Dixon missing a block by diving at a d lineman feet results in TL under more pressure than he would have if he just gets in the way of the guy.. perfect call on an off tackle play, receivers don't block anybody, instead of a big gain, it's 5 yards.. and on and on... All in all they didn't do the little things well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2020, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: There were two 3rd and longs that I think turned the game, ]

Uh oh. Corn dog alert! Looking at longtimetiger

Message was edited by: Boat Drinks®

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2020, 2:59 AM [ in reply to There were two 3rd and longs that I think turned the game, ]

One other thing. Trevor had a season QBR of 87.3 which was ranked 4th in the nation.

His 65.6 QBR against LSU would rank him outside the top 50 in the nation.

It wasn't just a bad game. Check out Jalen Hurts and Kellen Mond's stats.

You clearly have comprehension issues

Feb 2, 2020, 8:43 AM

longtimetiger . You harp on disrespect and any other nugget you find offensive...and there are none in this thread. No one has taken a thing away from LSU's performance...and yet, you apparently love to feel your but t in a knot over Lowered who knows what. LSU were the better team...that's the reality. Why don't you suck on the luscious juice of that reality, but do it elsewhere. In other words, take a hike.

Enjoy this season...you won't be feeling the euphoria of a Natty for a while. Mark. That. Down.

Ciao!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You clearly have comprehension issues

Feb 3, 2020, 5:01 AM

No disrespect?
How about what I was answering: OSU D better than LSU.

But the real disrespect started as soon as I made it to NO and encountered Clemson fans. It's always fun to go back and forth with opposing fans before the game of this magnitude. **Remember we have done this in 2003, 2007, 2011, and 2019 seasons. SO we have a little experience before everyone even started getting on the Dabo train.

But immediately we were PATRONIZED by Clemson fans. "We were here last year" "Look what we did to Alabama" (YEAH!) "Well, we are 29-0" "Dabo knows . . . " "Brent Venable is the best DC in the nation"

It was unending and obnoxious. But we just drank our small batch bourbons and chuckled, hoping that the guys playing in orange were taking the P&G Tigers as lightly as were the fans.
They didn't but it didn't matter. Once we figured out what BV's defense was doing, we were running a track meet (600+ yds offense) until 10 left 4Q when we took the foot off the gas.

SO there shouldn't be any disrepect but we still get it. One hit wonder. Lightening in a bottle. You won't be back. It just continues to roll in orange and purple.

ANd it may be a few years before we get back, because our path is difficult every year. Oh that we just had to win 1-2 reasonably competitive games to get an invitation.

BTW, much respect to the CLemson program for recent successes and especially to Dabo for his GOd centered, family approach to the team. Like to see people glorify GOd on the big stages of like, but you have to say GOd is good even when you lose too.

Feb 3, 2020, 6:41 PM

No disrespect?

But immediately we were PATRONIZED by Clemson fans. "We were here last year" "Look what we did to Alabama" (YEAH!) "Well, we are 29-0" "Dabo knows . . . " "Brent Venable is the best DC in the nation"

This is how it's easy to tell you're a Gamecock fan and FOS. Clemson fans don't talk like this lol. People, in general, don't talk like that. Those quotes sounds like what people with no social skills imagine what other people say in common discourse. Why did you just make all that up?

Feb 3, 2020, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: You clearly have comprehension issues ]

Why does it bother lsu fans so much what other fans say? On the other fans boards? Just stay on tigerpoopings and all will be well.

The drive before, we sent the house and it worked.

Jan 28, 2020, 9:24 AM

Those guys were just impossible to defend any better than we did. Just inexplicably bogged down on offense.

If our offense had just put together a couple of more drives, the defense could've probably held them to 1 less TD. No reason for them to have had 2 TDs like they did to the end the 1st half.

We just kept putting our defense back on the field over and over again.

Nolan Turner drops a pick 6. TL throws slightly high to Tee

Jan 28, 2020, 9:29 AM

and Tee still could've caught it on that 3rd down, down 28-25. Tee would've had a chance to score on a huge run after catch.

Justyn Ross misses a block on the 2nd down play before to ETN where that 1 guy caught ETN from behind.

The Kendrick PI where we had their defense gassed before half. May have been a 14 point swing right there, but it would have at least kept the game 21-17 at halftime worst case scenario.

TL throws slightly high to Amari in the 2nd quarter when we were up 17-14. That would've got a big first down and put us in the redzone. Just a lot of little things.

It’s the little things that add up against a great team.***

Jan 28, 2020, 10:11 AM

Jan 28, 2020, 10:08 AM

The 3rd and 19 just before halftime was a killer. We took an unnecessary pi penalty and LSU took advantage, to their credit. Too many blunders and a curious offensive game plan, especially in the second half. But, LSU was the main problem. They were excellent.

^^ Well said, LSU was The Main Problem

Jan 28, 2020, 12:15 PM

and They were Excellent.

as Clemson was the year b/4 vs Bammer.

What goes around comes around, so others can enjoy the fruits of Life, too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2020, 1:32 AM [ in reply to Re: 3rd Quarter, LSU 3rd and long, we're down by 3 ]

And our offense wasn't nothing different than it's always been, and they were prepared to stop it or at least slow it down, and slow it down is what they done. They knew or believed that if they kept us below 30-35 points, that even against BV, they would out score us if they could do what they done, and that was stay in TL's face enough to hinder the ability of our QB that believed was as good or maybe even better than Burrow, and they were right!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They didn't stop us.. we moreso stopped ourselves with poor

Feb 3, 2020, 7:52 PM

passes and not grinding it out on the ground. I especially hate that we tried to beat LSU at their game. ETN should have had 25 carries minimum. This is the mystery.

Feb 2, 2020, 6:41 AM

They also got a first down after 3rd and 18 due to a pass interference.

Skalski gonna be a beast for us this year.***

Feb 2, 2020, 8:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Feb 2, 2020, 11:44 AM

I thought that you were going to say something about not blitzing on the 3rd and 19 (I think) where we were called for interference. Make him get it out quick and count on making the tackle before they get the yardage.

Hindsight is 20/20, so my answer to, "Why did he send the house?" is that he wasn't expecting a screen. During a game, you make some guesses and sometimes you guess wrong.

Feb 3, 2020, 10:34 AM

The screen was past the line of scrimmage and there were at least two lineman down field. Not saying the refs cost us the game.....but the close call we got last year ......we didn’t get any in this years game.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic