Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for the older Tiger fans.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Question for the older Tiger fans.

Jul 16, 2016, 8:28 PM

Were any of you as anxious as you are now during our 25 years of being mediocre for the new season to get started back up. Honestly, I think that I was, but with a constant worry of if we would suck during the season!!! And now my concerns are going undefeated and playing for the NC....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ive been attending since the Hootie Ingram days

Jul 16, 2016, 8:31 PM

I never recall this much anxiety in my chest. Never.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not the least bit anxious. This year will be another fun

Jul 16, 2016, 8:33 PM

hard to get to the top but we have a shot and should finish at least top 10 with no more than 2 losses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not the least bit anxious. This year will be another fun

Jul 16, 2016, 8:37 PM

^^^I agree. No way we are going to suck. This is going to be fun.

In the 70's and 80's there was virtually no

Jul 16, 2016, 8:40 PM

Such thing as following recruiting, finding out who's going to what camp, when's joe blow gonna commit, etc.
There were Iptay meetings, but anxious...... Nothing of the sort.

it's a good feeling

Jul 16, 2016, 8:46 PM

To know your team comes prepared every week!

Been waiting a long time for this!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree that it was different. There was excitement and

Jul 16, 2016, 10:04 PM [ in reply to In the 70's and 80's there was virtually no ]

anticipation as the season got closer, but nothing like now, thanks largely to the internet. Over the last 15-20 years, at least since I've been on T-Net, it seems like that anticipation builds through the long days of DT, until it is almost unbearable. The constant reports, chatter, and available information gets everybody stoked. Used to be you had to wait until you got the Iptay letter or The Orange And White, or something big broke in the news. Now we know everytime a player or prospect sneezes.

One thing that has changed for me over the years that affects my anticipation for Clemson (and college) football, is my waning interest in MLB. I was an avid Braves fan growing up, and as a kid, baseball was my favorite sport, and until about 10-15 years ago it carried me through until football really got cranked up. This is the first year probably in my entire life that I haven't watched a single Major League game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Agree that it was different. There was excitement and

Jul 17, 2016, 12:36 AM

Same for me with the baseball. Now I focus on Clemson and tnet. I will watch the playoffs in baseball but rarely a game.

To the op, I don't remember being so anxiousness prior to a season more than now. I will say that even in the mediocre days (i.e. West and Bowden- bowden Had like 2 or 3 years that got me excited only to be squashed). I'll never forget NC giving us a beat down on the road to open the year. Ruff start to that year. Can't remember exact year... Tnet Yelp me out with that.

As a kid all I knew was Ford and consistent top 10 teams. We are blessed with good and YOUNG coaches that have us back to what I grew up with.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

brutal and it was 96. combined back to back

Jul 17, 2016, 7:59 AM

Shutouts to them and cuse(95 bowl) of 96-0. Had a decent yr aside but so glad those efforts are a thing of the past

yeah, UNC had Leon Johnson at running back

Jul 17, 2016, 8:24 AM

and he must've rushed for a thousand yards that game. I remember that because he ran it so much that the "s" fell off of the back of his jersey and his name by the third quarter was Leon John on. Bad day for Clemson football, was my brother's freshman year, the dark days.

Re: Agree that it was different. There was excitement and

Jul 17, 2016, 2:49 AM [ in reply to Agree that it was different. There was excitement and ]

I have the same attitude which began at about the same time, October is MLB time.

This^^^^ +2????????

Jul 17, 2016, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Agree that it was different. There was excitement and ]

We must be brothers from another mother ....

.....you can be Dan Fogleberg. I'll be Tim Weisberg ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Yeah, I've pretty much dumped the Braves too***

Jul 17, 2016, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Agree that it was different. There was excitement and ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for the older Tiger fans.

Jul 16, 2016, 8:46 PM

Class of '66 and 72 years old, so I guess I qualify.

In all of those years and a few before, with the possible exception of 1980/'81, we have never had the assembled talent that we do now. While I had more anxiety in past years, it has been replaced by confidence...... in players and coaches. I am not in the least bit concerned with this year's team or season prospects. We have the tools..... they will be sharp and they will be used. I can't expect a National Championship, but I can expect that we will be in the hunt.... and that's all I can ask. So, I'll sit back and enjoy it. These are the the good old days and the best of times.

You got me by a little

Jul 16, 2016, 9:06 PM

I remember being this anxious in '81 but in a different way......playing Nebraska, come on we just a little school in SC, they are football royalty. Been a long time coming but the last 5 years have and next decade is gonna be great

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jul 18, 2016, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for the older Tiger fans. ]

"These are the best of times..."

Jul 16, 2016, 9:00 PM

Never this excited before, started attending games in the 60s and it has always been fun, but even in 1981 I don't remember our having this much anticipation about the upcoming year.
For one thing, the internet allows us to follow the recruiting, in the past you had to read the sports page each day but I don't think we got nearly the level of info.
Even last year I wasn't nearly this excited, I thought we'd have a good year but they exceeded my expectations.

Jul 16, 2016, 9:00 PM

I BECAME AN IPTAY MEMBER SINCE 1965, AND HAVE MISSED ONLY SIX OR SEVEN GAMES UNTIL LAST YEAR HOME AND AWAY.LAST YEAR I MISSED THE LOUISVILLE,SYRACUSE,AND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.THE NATTY WAS DUE TO SICKNESS.I DID SEE THE ORANGE BOWL THOUGH.I GOT THE CAN'T WAIT FEELING WHILE FORD WAS COACH, UNTIL HE WAS FIRED IN 1988 OR 1989.I DID NOT GET THAT FEELING UNTIL ABOUT MID-SEASON LAST YEAR.I STILL HAVE IT,AND HOPE I CAN BE THERE WHEN WE WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR.

Jul 17, 2016, 12:06 AM

My late father, class of 1944, took me to Clemson in 1959 at age six. Not until the Ford tenure did any Tiger fan have anxious feelings before a season. Dabo, the staff and to some extent the media, have brought a degree of excitement to the program not experienced since the early 1990s before the Hatfield decline and the rise of FSU.

Enjoy this era! Dabo is one of a kind and he knows how to build a complete program. As he has said, "the best is yet to come." Go Tigers!

Jul 16, 2016, 10:04 PM

I think it's a combo of anxiety to see what Dabo & Co. put on the field for us, and the enjoyment of not hearing all the ignorant coots running their mouths about their stupid-azz team. That is a great combo IMO. Spot the ball & letz play.

Every year.

Jul 16, 2016, 10:11 PM

It's wonderful to win and win big as we have over the past few season but I've always bee anxious waiting for Clemson footall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. As a student from fall 85 thru 88 season

Jul 16, 2016, 11:30 PM

we expected to be a major factor every year. Even when we lost one game, we would plot out how each team ahead of us could lose and set us up.

I became a season ticket holder the first year of Hatfield. The expectations cooled but each season brought renewed hope.

It is very sweet to be nationally relevant again. Enjoy every minute of it and never - and I mean NEVER - take it for granted.

For me, I've always been excited with the prospect of

Jul 16, 2016, 10:37 PM

a new season and all of the posibilities, what with new players and coaches and such. As we have witnessed the steady build-up of talent over recent years, I'm usually foaming at the mouth by this point; I'd say that was even true in the Bowden era. I always saw possibilities and had hopes that we's put it all together. Now that we are so close and hopes are so freaking high, I have to admit, while I am foaming at the mouth, there is a little aprehension. Not for the team, mind you, but with regards to the fan base. I will certainly be disappointed with any loss or poor performance, but I can envision that resulting in bitching, moaning, and lashing out the likes of which we haven't seen around here. Having said that, I really, truly think we have the talent, depth, experience and coaching to go all the way; and I'm ready for OJ's "Hill Watch" to reach "0" and BuzzPaw to begin The Process!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes. In the years immediately following the 1981 NC,

Jul 17, 2016, 1:17 AM

we had some very good teams and high expectations. From 1981-1991, there were only two seasons with more than two losses. After Danny's recruits were gone...you know the story.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 17, 2016, 7:27 AM

I still get excited and love Clemson/college football. I was a lot younger in the 80s and I was probably more excited. Things were bigger for me then. The streak we are on now has brought a lot of enthusiasm and joy back to me with Clemson. We all owe Dabo and his teams lot.

However, college football is on TV just about all year. That does take some of the excitement out of it. In the 80s, once it was over, it was over till next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2016, 7:59 AM

The short answer is that any excitement about FB was very difficult to sustain from year to year. The extent of media coverage of college FB between then and now is light years apart. Following the Tigers from Frank Howard to Dabo has been one hell of a journey. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Expectations are different, but excitement is the same

Jul 17, 2016, 8:29 AM

...I'd use excitement rather than anxious. Every summer, about early August, I still get the same feeling of looking forward to the season. Now, of course the expectations are higher. Back in the early 70s, you'd hope for an ACC title to lord over the Capons since they were still in the league. It also virtually assured a spot in the Tangerine Bowl or even the Gator ... tall cotton for us back then.

But the levels of internal energy, whether anxiety or excitement remain thankfully the same.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's it, Rev.

Jul 17, 2016, 9:28 AM

People forget that in 1980 we went 6-5. That magical season was unexpected. Then came the 90's and then came Tommy and the annual (or sometimes multi-annual) letdown game.

Back then there was hope. Now there are expectations. Spot the ball!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: That's it, Rev.

Jul 17, 2016, 10:05 AM

my first ever Clemson game was Duke in 1980. Clemson lost. I was twelve then and really fell in love with Clemson football. Then 1981 came and after the uga. game I was listening every Saturday with my dad on the mail route. We pulled over on a dirt road and listened to the unc game that year. Fun memories I had with my dad. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Expectations are different, but excitement is the same

Jul 17, 2016, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Expectations are different, but excitement is the same ]

I have been to games since 1972 and I always expect the Tigers to win every game every year. Did we have a chance to do that... Well some years we did, most we didn't. This year and last year we did. We are very capable to go on a run with the talent we have. Dabo is right in that the best years are ahead. As long as we keep our coaches and the players keep their focus, anything can happen. Excitement is in the air in the hills and the sky is the limit. Just play one game at a time and focus on the play you are playing. Every black counts on offense and do your job on defense Kicking teams to be seen.... something has to get better there. Excited yes!!! Go Tigers!

Started watching Clemson football in 1978

Jul 17, 2016, 9:38 AM

So I remember growing up with the Tigers being as good as any team in the country.
When we went through the Hatfield/T.West hires, I remembering thinking immediately.
This was going set the program back for years, and it did. I saw the worse times of
Clemson football ( in my life time) during the 90s.
But when Bowden was hired, I felt the University finally got it right. And he did
improve Clemson football a lot during his time, and left it better than when he arrived.

But the last few years, the program has been as good as I've seen in my life time. And
I never thought I would ever compare anyone else to the GREAT DANNY FORD, but Swinney is
right on his door step, and I am very very excited. And can't wait for what's to come.

Define old...

Jul 17, 2016, 10:10 AM

I would describe how I'm feeling as "nervous energy"

Only because of how close we got last year , combined with the thought of can we do it again...

Can't wait to find out!

Fan since the Mid 60s.

Jul 17, 2016, 6:36 PM

These are the salad days. Anticipation has never been higher.

Only other time, for me, was after we beat West Va in Gator

Jul 18, 2016, 8:14 AM

Bowl in 89, I felt we were about to join the Miamis and Oklahomas of the time and start reeling off some 11 and/or 12 win-like seasons. Then about two weeks later Ford was fired.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic