Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any meteorologists in the house?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Any meteorologists in the house?

Oct 8, 2020, 8:34 PM

Based on latest hurricane path, it doesn’t seem like it’ll go anywhere close to Clemson. Why does weather forecast keep saying 90% rain for Saturday?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just a weather nerd

Oct 8, 2020, 8:57 PM

In a nutshell, Hurricanes usually "unwind" when they hit land which tends to spread the participation out much wider than what the track of the Eye may indicate. This is particularly true if you are on the East side of the storm, which Clemson is far to the east of the eye, that's for sure. I tend to think that the rainfall estimates look a little high but I fully expect a healthy dose of on and off showers, particularly Sat PM.

Re: Just a weather nerd

Oct 8, 2020, 9:09 PM

Spreads "participation"? Does it spread precipitation, as well?

Re: Just a weather nerd

Oct 9, 2020, 7:13 AM

I caught the “participation” as well. I’m sure it was autocorrect. But when you read it he’s talking about the hurricane unwinding and spreading over more areas. So, actually it does increase the participation as more people are in the path. That dang autocorrect is smarter than we think.

Wrong!@@@@@ Hurricanes always start off

Oct 9, 2020, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Just a weather nerd ]

The week off rip roaring about how dangerous they are. Come Sunday the world figures out they are just a bunch of hot air.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Any meteorologists in the house?

Oct 8, 2020, 9:04 PM

Not a meteorologist but had plenty of hurricane experience. Outter bands. Famously known as the spin off of rain on the outskirts of the circulating storm. Given the magnitude of these storms, outter bands can be hundreds of miles away and frequently are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 9:07 PM

Ditto. Gets me is that they're forecasting about an inch of rain for Clemson Saturday but winds of only 5-10 MPH.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pushing something else through in front of it.

Oct 8, 2020, 9:07 PM

And yes, I did spend last night at holiday inn express

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 9:12 PM

As the hippy-dippy weatherman said, the forecast for Saturday night will be dark with a chance of light the following morning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 9:23 PM

Sounds like the weatherman George Carlin... a great one, for sure!

Oct 8, 2020, 9:16 PM

I saw a meteor a couple of weeks ago. How can I help?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 9:50 PM

I am not a meteorologist but play one on TV. When a low pressure is near I can tell by my athirst in my bones. I am not in a lot of pain yet but stay tuned.

Oct 8, 2020, 9:52 PM

Per Jim Carlen the forecast for tonight is dark followed by widely scattered light in the morning.

Your bones have athirst? Maybe you

Oct 8, 2020, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Any meteorologists in the house? ]

get enough rain to correct that.

Re: Your bones have athirst? Maybe you

Oct 8, 2020, 10:09 PM

Retired NWS here - our rainfall will be indirect, although we could get a way distant outer band or two. But, mainly, it will be from the prolonged upslope around the broad circulation associated with Delta. Heaviest rainfall in the Upstate should be right along the Blue Ridge escarpment. It should not be anything like 2015.

TU for 10th post in 15 years

Oct 8, 2020, 10:27 PM

Keep 'em coming!

Meteorologists and Climatologists

Oct 8, 2020, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Your bones have athirst? Maybe you ]

John Purvis was NWS and the SC State Climatologist. After he retired in 1991, even though he contributed part time until 2001,the forecasts weren't as accurate. Before that you could bank on his forecast.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Meteorologists and Climatologists

Oct 8, 2020, 11:17 PM

You're going to 100% wet.

Nice AFD!

Oct 9, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Your bones have athirst? Maybe you ]

Congrats on the retirement

Oct 9, 2020, 12:20 AM

They still get paid when they're wrong, so there is no telling what they will say as long as they're saying something even when it's wrong!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2020, 12:24 AM

Try planning your vacation by what the weather men/women say, you will stay at home never going anywhere more than a few miles from home!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hurricanes spin counter-clockwise. A storm

Oct 9, 2020, 7:49 AM

NW of us pulls Gulf warm moist air SW of us into the cool air NE of us.

Result: rain.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:38 AM

Ok so you have a hurricane as you all know hurricanes weaken as they move inland. But the flow around the area of low pressure even though it’s well west of us will pull up gulf and Atlantic moisture. Plus add the upslope against the mountains and you have rain. I’m thinking 1-2 inches of rain widespread and some localized isolated areas relieving 2-4 inches especially closer to the mountains! Heaviest rain probably comes after the game and especially on Sunday where the drive to church looks wet. If we see some sun Sunday that could add instability and a isolated strong storm could pop and spun a quick weak tornado but that chance is looking very low!

Give me a meteor, and I will ologist it.

Oct 9, 2020, 10:57 AM

Just one of the many things my vintage Ronco kitchen appliance can do better than a full size $900 oven. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic