Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Asking for a Friend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,056

Asking for a Friend

Jun 12, 2020, 11:56 AM

Why would a student knowingly come to Clemson or enroll in Calhoun Honors (Very Smart Kids) and then at some point later decide to protest to change the name of the place they allegedly researched and carefully chose?

There are only a few reasons why, all are bad.

1) They have the stupid
2) They have the lazy
3) They are troublemakers

If you are smart enough to get in Clemson and you conducted an orientation wherein Tillman, Calhoun and Clemson's names are presented at least 20 times then you should have no issue now with these names. It's not like archaeologists and historians just unearthed new evidence on these men's backgrounds and affiliations.

Yes, shame on the behavior of these men in the past, they were products of their time so I give them some latitude. But I have no pity at all for supposedly smart kids who chose to come to Clemson and then get all high, mighty and righteous. I think it is time for a change of these names, it seems like the right time to do it, but please let's not act like this is new data and these people just found out that Tillman had some negative traits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody cares who the buildings are named after when they

Jun 12, 2020, 11:57 AM

choose a school. HTH

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does make you wonder why..

Jun 12, 2020, 12:00 PM

but humans are fickle & fragile and wishy-washy too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Normally am entertained by your posts but #### this is tiring. You know good and well this is not

Jun 12, 2020, 12:01 PM

Football related, take it where it belongs. Can we please bring back the football forum?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FFS....There is NO FOOTBALL to talk about.....Did Crump Make

Jun 12, 2020, 12:31 PM

You the effin hall monitor or something?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you get your feelings hurt?***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:37 PM

Apparantly he did. BeMeist sent me a pretty nasty TMail

Jun 12, 2020, 12:39 PM

a few years ago for posting in the wrong forum. Time they start doing it again.

Where's GWPTiger® and his "WRONG BOARD MORAN" when you need him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No but what he is saying is you are welcome to post an

Jun 12, 2020, 12:37 PM [ in reply to FFS....There is NO FOOTBALL to talk about.....Did Crump Make ]

"asking for a friend" post (which we know you are asking for yourself) in the right forum and not the football forum. Is that not to much to ask?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"stupid...lazy...troublemakers."

Jun 12, 2020, 12:06 PM

Wow! You and those who give you a thumbs up are dog whistling dixie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well... I guess I has the stupid

Jun 12, 2020, 12:07 PM

I grew up in SC and took the textbook version of state history and came to Clemson not knowing much about the most terrible things Tillman did or said. Didn't even know Tillman Hall was renamed until recent years or the reason for the change. So I have no problem with these changes], but there comes a point where reason must intervene. Don't know when Calhoun Honors program started but I certainly would not have been eligible if it was there in 1965.

If you studied the Mary Simms Oliphant "History of South

Jun 12, 2020, 12:15 PM

Carolina" you would not be aware of those parts of SC history. She gave the impression that African Americans enjoyed slavery.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Asking for a Friend

Jun 12, 2020, 12:08 PM

Many supposedly intelligent young'uns become a product of "group think".

People are reacting instead of thinking things through. Not

Jun 12, 2020, 12:19 PM

saying renaming is the right or wrong thing to do, I'm just saying.

Perhaps these intelligent students employed

Jun 12, 2020, 12:28 PM

reason and self-awareness in their thinking and decided that these men, for whom the honors college and building were named, possessed some heinous ideas regarding slavery and segregation. That those ideas, as acceptable as they were in in the 1800s, had become a present-day malignancy and the association, of such, with their beloved alma mater unacceptable today.

Just spit-ballin' as to why some smart kids might change their minds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come On.....If You Couldn't Figure Out These People Had

Jun 12, 2020, 12:33 PM

histories that don't foot with today's ethos in the 1+ year college evaluation process, then don't gripe about it now.

Hang on to your heritage,

Jun 12, 2020, 12:53 PM

I know it ain't hate. Lulz.

I'll ask you something for a friend

Jun 12, 2020, 12:35 PM

Did you get more educated and tolerant after being in college for 4 or more years? Or did you maintain your same levels of education and tolerance you learned in the first 17 years of your life?

Did you learn more about history while in college?

Did your eyes open to anything regarding current events, social behaviors, or the like while in college?

Did you explore different ways of thinking beyond what was taught to you for your first 17 years while in college? You know, like thinking for yourself any?

Have you been this obtuse your whole life or has that changed over the years?

Obtuse...What You Been Watchin Shawshank Redeption?

Jun 12, 2020, 6:32 PM

Use some common effin sense, there are 18 and 19 year olds making better decisions in Afghanistan with far less education than College kids. No hall pass for this in my book. Are you trying to tell me John C. Calhoun is some obscure historical figure and nobody knew his past? By the time a modern 18 year old gets to college with the resources they have to get in, now a top tier, state school they should know this. It's not like there haven't been other protests on Tillman and Calhoun in the last 10 years either.

Stop making excuses for young adults.

Re: Obtuse...What You Been Watchin Shawshank Redeption?

Jun 12, 2020, 6:42 PM

Your original question was why would a smart kid choose Clemson only to be offended much later? It’s actually very simple. They become offended and protest when the left tells them they are offended and need to protest.

Re: Asking for a Friendno

Jun 12, 2020, 6:47 PM

Because Clemson it is a good school. Also, most people dont know the history of Tillman or even Calhoun when they get to Clemson. Those names are just on buildings and opportunity comes first. Its a pretty simple concept. What's even weirder is that you asked such a question. I mean that your friend would.

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,056
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic