Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
while erybody asking about religious stuff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

while erybody asking about religious stuff

Nov 18, 2020, 10:51 PM

For you believers....

I'm curious what you think about these TV Evangelists, as well as the ones not on TV but seem to have the biggest house(s) and fanciest cars, while preaching the word of God/Christ

I can't recall the exact passage, but I'm sure you know it. The one in the bible that talks a rich man not getting into heaven

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

not a believer,

Nov 18, 2020, 11:10 PM

but my understanding is that they rationalize it as if they are blessed by God and deserving of their riches. And when you are that blessed, and ask god for a 3rd jet, he will set up a go fund me page if you are deserving.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not a believer,

Nov 19, 2020, 7:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Try this again

Nov 19, 2020, 7:56 AM [ in reply to not a believer, ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: not a believer,

Nov 20, 2020, 8:56 AM [ in reply to not a believer, ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s bad. But just as bad as me

Nov 19, 2020, 12:13 AM

Saying I am a believer and then committing sin but getting hammer and then cursing and slapping liberals around on this site.

A sin is a sin. I no longer judge. I just try to do my best these days. I don’t care if they make a bajillion. I just want to believe in something better than myself and my kids be fed and happy.

Honest truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only real sin you commit on this board...

Nov 19, 2020, 7:54 AM

Is your use of really faulty logic. And really absurd "But Obamas".

Re: It’s bad. But just as bad as me

Nov 19, 2020, 8:32 AM [ in reply to It’s bad. But just as bad as me ]

if you quit drinking you will be a much happier person after about 3 weeks, that I can promise. Detox is a beeatch tho, and I would see a professional because not drinking is he easy part, reconciling all the harm you did to others because of your addiction is the hard part. But that will make you feel better too.

I believe in you.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimmy Swaggart killin’ here:

Nov 19, 2020, 12:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLHQVGL8F58

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not think anything about them. They, and we all,

Nov 19, 2020, 1:27 AM

will answer to Someone whose name is not mine. What I do think about is the very passage you mention, a very relevant and well chosen one.

The point of that comment (by Jesus, as you know) is that the primary barrier to a person recognizing his actual condition and relationship with God is one's pride and management of self image. A wealthy person can and does insulate himself from having to face those realities honestly. It is therefore a well known phenomenon that the wealthier a culture is, the fewer of that culture will identify as Christian. Balm stated this very clearly above.

In the US, everyone is rich, a thing that should cause internal reflection by anyone familiar with that passage. But it typically doesn't, causing instead finger pointing. I suppose this comes from the desire to be graded on a curve, relative to everyone else. If Jesus said anything, it is that this is not the case.

We are all equally lost. Rich men dont have to believe that. We are all rich.

Re: I do not think anything about them. They, and we all,

Nov 19, 2020, 1:46 AM

ummmm, you seem to leave very wordy replies when you could make it simple. perhaps my simple lil brain isn't smart enough to make sense of most of what you wrote tho.

so you saying its all good, or its bad, or that we all bad, so it doesn't matter?

Re: I do not think anything about them. They, and we all,

Nov 19, 2020, 5:46 AM

Tony if you want an answer to your original question read Mathew 7:21-23. It will clearly answer your question about the tv preachers, etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see you understood me perfectly.

Nov 19, 2020, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I do not think anything about them. They, and we all, ]

What you proposed was about someone else is about you and me both. Not a pleasant thought.

Re: while erybody asking about religious stuff

Nov 19, 2020, 7:14 AM

Not much difference between tv evangelists and politicians. They get rich by telling lies to the poor and stupid.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bible does not teach rich people will not get into heaven

Nov 19, 2020, 7:50 AM

It does teach, very clearly, that no one will enter heaven without the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Neither rich nor poor.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

I think it says a few things about con men...

Nov 19, 2020, 7:53 AM

And false prophets and those who will abuse the word of God to fool others.

Yes, it does

Nov 19, 2020, 7:56 AM

and they can be poor couch potatoes,or professionals in society at many levels, whom belittle the true teachings of God, as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bible does not teach rich people will not get into heaven

Nov 19, 2020, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Bible does not teach rich people will not get into heaven ]

Are you suggesting it's either a really tiny camel or humongous needle?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at all

Nov 19, 2020, 1:40 PM

And, in friendly words, i would suggest that reading the passage in context teaches there is a "reason" why it is "harder" (not impossible) for a rich man to enter into heaven.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

Re: Not at all

Nov 20, 2020, 8:34 AM

OK, but we agree that getting a camel through the eye of a needle is very hard? I mean, you could liquify the camel, I suppose, but that would make a silly point out of the saying. So, what position are you actually taking on this?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What we can learn from them and this outgoing administration

Nov 19, 2020, 7:51 AM

Is that our nation sadly has many, many people who are easily conned and duped because they crave a messiah so badly that they'll follow a man who pretends to be godly and who speaks to them with a silver tongue.

But, you know, as a good man once said, the arc of the moral universe is long...

Are you really differentiating the outgoing administration

Nov 19, 2020, 8:04 AM

from the long line of politicians that came before, promising much, delivering little, and getting wealthy and powerful in the process?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at all, sir.

Nov 19, 2020, 9:58 AM

But I am pointing out that the unhealthy, blind, and weak-minded hero worship of Pres. Trump is eerily similar to that of filthy rich evangelist mega preachers, and it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that those three parties appear to go hand-in-hand.

Here's what I'm sayin......

Nov 19, 2020, 10:01 AM

You're not wrong, but those two categories aren't some niche subset.

The people who thought Obama, Kennedy, Nixon, FDR, the 1996 "Contract with America" pubs, or the 2004 Blue Wavers etc etc etc were going to solve all their problems are in the same boat.

Politicians of all stripes have shown time and time again they do not deserve our faith or trust.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's what I'm sayin......

Nov 19, 2020, 10:06 AM

Yeah, that's a valid point. I agree.

Where we see a different animal in Trump attracts that blind religious love that the evangelists do. I haven't seen a president in my lifetime who gets that "he's the good vs. the evil," sent-by-God worship the same way the evangelical conmen get.

Re: What we can learn from them and this outgoing administration

Nov 19, 2020, 8:35 AM [ in reply to What we can learn from them and this outgoing administration ]

You did not just describe Trump as having a silver tongue

Re: What we can learn from them and this outgoing administration

Nov 19, 2020, 9:59 AM

I mean, I think he maybe spray paints it like those dudes in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Re: while erybody asking about religious stuff

Nov 19, 2020, 9:53 AM

I’ve always thought the idea of a preacher of any sort, making a living (a very good living in most cases) is odd. Monetizing the word of god (allegedly). Even the most noble of them I am sure JC would not approve

For anyone saying the Bible doesn’t say what it clearly says is doing that “interpretation” thing ... that likely came from one of these person that I’m talking about.

The reason for your frustration with some of the answers,

Nov 20, 2020, 1:20 AM

one of those being mine, is probably due to matching that verse with the tv preacher situation,

Your comment here that perhaps no pastor should be paid is an interesting one that I would likely agree with in a modified form. That is another subject, and would love to discuss it, but we likely agree more than disagree on that point. We would certainly share the same reasons.

The verse you referenced, however, refers to all wealthy men, everywhere. All of us in the US are wealthy - almost all, at least, certainly anyone reading this forum - so that verse is referring to any of us.

Each of those points is a good discussion. Dealing with them separately, as I did above and now, is not hiding behind a personal interpretation, but is instead dealing with what the quote plainly says and who it is clearly about. There was no intent on my part to frustrate you or question the validity of the issues. I did, however, intend to say that referring to that verse puts oneself in question, not the tv preachers.

Re: The reason for your frustration with some of the answers,

Nov 22, 2020, 7:45 AM

Good points. The verse in question is very simple to me. Salvation in Christ requires our humble submission. As we accumulate wealth it can be more difficult to place our dependence on Christ rather than ourselves. It was mentioned that all in America are wealthy. By worldly standards I agree completely. Simply compare the lower economic class to lower classes in other countries and it becomes clear that we are wealthy in America. As a result it becomes more difficult as a nation to submit to Christ.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic