Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has any coach fallen further, faster than Babers?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Has any coach fallen further, faster than Babers?

Oct 19, 2020, 11:25 AM

He was a hot name when he went to Cuse. Lotta folks expected him to get a bigger job that year. When he went to Cuse it was supposed to be a stepping stone to a "top 10 job." Then he goes out and wins 10 games. Folks were saying Cuse can't hang on to him more than another year or two. Now, he's not on anybody's long list, much less short list.

(Maybe he'll replace Muschamp?)

4-8; 4-8; 10-3; 5-7; 1-4

And, it looks like he'll be lucky to win another game this year.

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should have left while he had the chance.

Oct 19, 2020, 11:26 AM

Muscoot is gonna be at USC for a while.

I'm glad for it too.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has any coach fallen furhter, faster than Babers?

Oct 19, 2020, 11:34 AM

He's gone after this year. 2018 was a fluke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of Jim Grobe.

Oct 19, 2020, 11:44 AM

He had a couple decent years and one very good year at Wake from 2006-2008. During that time he had major universities coming after him hard but decided to stay, take a nice raise and try for an ELITE coaching position. But for the next 6 years he had losing records till he was fired.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Oct 19, 2020, 11:44 AM

Dave Doeren?

He went 9-4 to 4-9 in a hurry, 1-7 in ACC

Oct 19, 2020, 12:00 PM

Remember Tom O'Brian at Boston College? He had a pretty good QB named Matt Ryan and used that to get hired at NC State where he flamed out. Babers had Eric Dungey which got him a lot of talk about being a good coach.

The moral of the story is one great player doesn't make you a good coach.

Oct 19, 2020, 12:07 PM

He did not flame out. He just became NC State. He held an near identical record to both Amato and O'Cain.... and Doeren... wait, is there a pattern here?

TOB had two NFL QBs while at NCSU***

Oct 19, 2020, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Has any coach fallen furhter, faster than Babers? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2020, 12:04 PM

On balance a win over Clemson and playing us close is about his only claim to fame. Very little else accomplished there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This guy says hello......

Oct 19, 2020, 12:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 19, 2020, 12:14 PM

Good one. I remember Vawl fans were practically begging him to come back, even after he left them in the middle of the night like a $8 prostitute the last time.

Oct 19, 2020, 1:07 PM

And USC kinda screwed him too as the fall guy for their previous Carroll infractions. USC got rid of Kiffin and Orgeron while on probation. Not saying that Kiffin didn't line himself up for being tossed under the bus but shesh, that USC was acting like the uOFsc

Oct 19, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: This guy says hello...... ]

Isn't that some kind of white supremacy sign? Coincidence that Ole Miss hired him?...jk

Oct 19, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: This guy says hello...... ]

I can’t stand Kiffin. I just can’t understand why He keeps getting chances. Sure, he is no dummy on the offensive side of the ball, but he has no integrity, loyalty or character. Guess that’s why he makes a living in the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2020, 4:46 PM

I can’t stand Kiffin. I just can’t understand why He keeps getting chances. Sure, he is no dummy on the offensive side of the ball, but he has no integrity, loyalty or character. Guess that’s why he makes a living in the SEC.

Good Point! The:
Sorry
Excuse
Committee

has taken coaches who haven't worked out over and over. Wasn't Muschamp at Florida before? With top 1 or 2 classes and barely finishing .500.
Chad Morris as a HC was a miserable failure - re-hired by a SEC power. Honorable mention for Kevin Steele who is a good DC - but sometimes isn't flexible.
Lane Kiffin. Jimbo Fisher. Stoops at Kentucky is about as stable a situation as you will find outside of Athens and Tuscaloosa in the SEC. Mullens had some decent teams at Miss St but they ended up under performing! So far in his UF tenure - same case.
Missouri was so desperate they hired Eli Drinkwitz who only was App St. for one season. Prior to that was the OC at NCSU.
Arkansas will be good as they probably got the most important piece that helped Georgia become so good at rushing the ball. The OL coach being hired away from Kirby and Georgia was huge for them. Bad for Georgia.

But, I would give Clay Helton an honorable mention as well. Southern Cal is not on probation still. They still get the pick of the litter on the west coast; though Oregon is cutting in some. But, what have they done with it all?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Willie Taggert says hello***

Oct 19, 2020, 12:30 PM

multiple times

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Price at Bama

Oct 19, 2020, 1:59 PM

We hardly knew ye.He met Destiny in a strip club in Pensacola and then his destiny was sealed.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Willie Taggert says hello***

Oct 19, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Willie Taggert says hello*** ]

Good answer!

Not many. But not many have risen as fast as he did either.

Oct 19, 2020, 12:58 PM

Wonder why...

Re: Not many. But not many have risen as fast as he did either.

Oct 19, 2020, 2:19 PM

Row86® said:

Wonder why...

Lol. Why wonder about it? Put your thoughts out there instead of being a cowardly racist punk about it.

Oct 19, 2020, 2:03 PM

I'll see your Charlie Strong at Texas, and raise Steve Spurrier at the Washington nameless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Price

Oct 19, 2020, 2:09 PM

went from head coach at Bama to unemployed and untouchable (except to strippers) IN ONE NIGHT.

Without even coaching a single game.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL; Alabama Fires Coach For Off-Field Indiscretions
By Jere Longman
May 4, 2003

Mike Price's career at the University of Alabama ended today before he ever coached a football game for the Crimson Tide, self-destructing upon a date with Destiny, a stripper, and ruined by an acutely extravagant order of room service.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/sports/college-football-alabama-fires-coach-for-off-field-indiscretions.html

Ahhh Jimbo Fisher!

Oct 19, 2020, 2:14 PM

His last two years at FSU Bret.

I think you guys had to beat UL Monroe one year in a make up game to become bowl eligible. Unlike Babers he did win a title though; so there is that. And, the OL being bad a Nationally known issue was just extra.

But, your question was about the fall, so I can't put Willie Taggert in that mix. He never won! Hard to fall when you aren't off the ground.

Hugh Freeze - from ranked #1 in the country and pulling in top 5 recruiting classes and the "land shark defense" to now coaching Liberty!

What about Les Miles - Kansas! The same Kansas that has a 2 game losing streak to Coastal Carolina. Les won a National Championship at LSU. I would call that a pretty big fall.

Babers is not alone! And some of the these other coaches at "resources" at their fingertips. How many kids want to go to upstate N.Y. to play football? Unless they get them from up there - not many! Syracuse during a time where if you can find really big OL and a fast RB you are in business - if that was the game now - they would probably be okay. That isn't though.

A little surprised no one mentioned George O'Leary

Oct 19, 2020, 2:25 PM

Went from top dog and riding high at GT to ND to be the next Knute Rockne and never coached a game there due to "inaccuracies" on his application.

Long fall and no net, either....ouch.

Re: A little surprised no one mentioned George O'Leary

Oct 19, 2020, 2:28 PM

hokieone said:

Went from top dog and riding high at GT to ND to be the next Knute Rockne and never coached a game there due to "inaccuracies" on his application.

Long fall and no net, either....ouch.

Yep! Another candidate! A candidate who had options(good options). GT is right in the middle of Atlanta.

Just this one.

Oct 19, 2020, 4:04 PM

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/13/san-jose-tennis-coach-presumed-dead-in-new-zealand-skydiving-accident/

Can we include quitting after six games?***

Oct 19, 2020, 4:20 PM

Re: Has any coach fallen further, faster than Babers?

Oct 19, 2020, 5:42 PM

Terry Bowden went undefeated his first year at Auburn and went about 20 games straight without losing. He quit a few years later in the middle of the season to keep from being fired.

He blew it on the timing thang...he was the talk of the town

Oct 19, 2020, 7:09 PM

when they won 10 games and played us tough in 2018. Damm near impossible to do at Syracuse. Maybe he was unlucky and nobody came calling that year, or he was holding out for something better. I dunno. But striking while the iron is hot is crucial in this business...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Gene Chizik and soon-to-be Ed Orgeron

Oct 19, 2020, 9:56 PM

Chalk 'em up ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Petrino says hi

Oct 19, 2020, 10:10 PM

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic