Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago -Vietnam - Veterans Day confession
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

50 years ago -Vietnam - Veterans Day confession

Nov 11, 2020, 10:09 PM

After posting the two pictures of me and my machine gunner and his assistant gunner late last night, I have felt more feelings of sadness than anytime in the past few years. Digging out those photos brought back memories that had been suppressed for some time. These 2 guys were more than comrades in arms - they were the Bubbas to my Forest Gump. My first two friends after arriving overseas - never apart for over three months until that day near the end of May. They were also the first serious casualties of many to come and their loss just hours apart, even though one did survive, affected me in so many ways. The most lasting effect it had was that I never developed real relationships with other soldiers and, to a large degree, to people I met after returning home- in some way, it seemed that if you make no friends, you never lose any friends. Thanks for supporting veterans - sometimes they just need a little boost.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clover, thank you for sharing your heart. I am so sorry for

Nov 11, 2020, 10:31 PM

your loss.

Thank you for being a part of this crazy message board. I am thankful for your posts. God Bless!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: Thank You Clover65 for Your service...

Nov 11, 2020, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the stories and pics. You and all veterans and those serving and military families are in my prayers daily.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for your service, and for sharing your pics and

Nov 11, 2020, 10:53 PM

stories with us. Anybody who went through what you did is a hero in my book.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Veterans Day confession

Nov 11, 2020, 10:56 PM

Our overwhelming thanks to you and to all those who picked up a weapon and stood the post! God Bless you ALL, and may God bless your families, too. Thanks again, and again, and again for your service to this great nation! "All gave some; some gave all", but I love and appreciate all who have helped make us the nation we really are, and not the one of the losers and cowards who live to appease. In the Bible it says, " to whom much is given, much is required". I am so ashamed of those who enjoy the freedoms brave men and women have provided, only to give it away to those who think they are entitled to receive and who offer nothing in return.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2020, 7:34 AM

Our overwhelming thanks to you and to all those who picked up a weapon and stood the post! God Bless you ALL, and may God bless your families, too. Thanks again, and again, and again for your service to this great nation! "All gave some; some gave all", but I love and appreciate all who have helped make us the nation we really are, and not the one of the losers and cowards who live to appease. In the Bible it says, " to whom much is given, much is required". I am so ashamed of those who enjoy the freedoms brave men and women have provided, only to give it away to those who think they are entitled to receive and who offer nothing in return.

POST OF THE DAY!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2020, 7:43 AM

Thanks! I am so thankful for our service men and women! I wish, and my fervent prayer, is that our nation never forgets what has made us great and the envy of the world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 11:10 PM

Thank you and all the other vets on the board for your service.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:15 PM

Prayers for you sir, and thank you for your service

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2020, 1:55 AM

When you wear a military uniform and share daily experiences with others, you form bonds that can't be explained, but they are real and strong, and those bonds last forever.

I have a photo of 6 of us young Air Force officers that was taken in 1969, and I titled that picture "Good Friends." The photo still sets on our mantle. A senior member of our unit once commented that he had never seen such a close knit group of officers during his 30 years of AF service.

We served together every day and had so many great times, both on duty and off. We were as close as brothers for almost 4 years, and then we scattered, but most of us stayed in touch and visited when possible.

I lost contact with one of the group and can't locate him. I don't know if he is still alive. Over the years, the other 4 have passed away from natural causes, but they had good, although short, lives and raised good families.

I remember those wonderful guys almost every day and will never forget them. Sometimes, I feel guilty that my life has been so much longer, and I am still enjoying good health.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2020, 7:31 AM

Clover, thank you for opening up about your friends. Losing a close friend is tough in any situation, but it must be especially so in the horrific conditions of battle, and at such a young age.

You do have many unseen friends here who respect, appreciate, and support you. We may not take the place of traditional face-to-face friends, but we care and are here for you!

This is why is disturbs me so much...

Nov 12, 2020, 7:48 AM

...when I see stories of people trying to tear this country apart, disrespecting our flag, and who have no concept of what a great country we have and the sacrifices that have been made to build it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2020, 8:40 AM

Think Garth Brooks wrote a song speaking to that sentiment. The Dance or something like that.

Sorry for what y’all had to go through at such a young age so far from home.

Nov 12, 2020, 10:57 AM

I don't post much, but Veteran's Day this year hit me pretty hard and I have felt the need to share. My dad, a WWII vet passed away Oct. 20 last year at the age of 94. As part of the 2nd Armored Division his tank rolled onto Omaha Beach with the the D-Day invasion, and he earned his Purple Heart at the Battle of the Bulge. We owe so much in thanks to the "greatest generation" and to all soldiers regardless of the many conflicts fought to keep us free. My dad was 93 when the photo was taken with the VA representative. His uniform is on display at the American Legion Museum in Gaffney, SC. His Clemson uniform was on display at the funeral. Thanks again to all who served. God bless you!

Nov 12, 2020, 1:09 PM

I know you are proud ...... certainly should be!

Nov 12, 2020, 9:59 PM

Last night I Googled "205th Signal Repair Company" and read the obits for four of my company mates. They were killed on Dec. 1, 1950, at the Chosen Reservoir. Our team left Pyongyang on Dec. 1 and it was about three weeks before we heard about their deaths when the remainder of those on Team E joined us.. I did not know these men.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Pop....

Nov 13, 2020, 12:39 PM

....enlisted in the national guard in 1939, served throughout WWII in Europe, served in the army of occupation in Germany and Japan, served in wartime Korea, and spent some time at Redstone Arsenal before being transferred to Turkey. Pop retired as a Lt.Colonel in 1963 shortly after his tour and that of a some Jupiter missiles in Turkey ended. In his career Pop was awarded a Silver Star,a Bronze Star with a V, was wounded twice and was prouder of his Combat Infantry Badge with a star than anything else on his uniform including that long strip of hash marks on his sleeve. He's buried in the national cemetery in Beaufort. Pop was not sentimental and almost never said a word about his service. Still, I know he'd be happy knowing his final resting place is in a National Cemetery surrounded by other veterans, his comrades in arms. Pop died young and I've missed talking to him now for 50+ years.

Thanks for your service Pop. Thanks for everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic