Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaching philosophy with timeouts, etc....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 685

Coaching philosophy with timeouts, etc....

Jan 2, 2021, 9:07 AM

First of all, congrats to Ohio State and particularly their QB. And congrats to our Tigers for a really good season, another ACC championship and plenty of fun along the way.

Ok...got to get a coaching complaint in....
Near the end of the 1st half...we get Fields for a loss. 1:46 on the clock, about to be 3rd & 9...Clemson calls timeout. Next play they run Sermon on 3rd and 9, get the first down, then go on to score.
Now I know that we were trying to get the ball back ...and in other games that has led to us having time to score, but that’s the 2nd time this year that we instead gave a team more time to score before the half (the other was UVA).
Had we let the clock go....they likely would have run it down some more. And after having lost yardage the previous play, maybe they would have been less likely to do what they did out of the timeout. And we still would have had a TO on 4th down and over a minute for TL. Or maybe just gone into half down by 14 instead of 21.

Another moment was us frantically getting the snap off with 1 second left in the 3rd quarter on a huge 3rd & 1 and running the option down by 21. Let the quarter end. Do the 3rd & 1 to start the 4th quarter. Instead...we get the false start on 4th & 1. Then we punt, they score.

These are coaching/time management things that just irked me. In other games, I get it....but considering the situation and the way the defense was playing...why would you give them more time? And why were we insistent on running those QB run plays at the point of the game when TL was in a rhythm throwing it?
These two situations weren’t necessarily going to get us a win....but they were huge swings in the game. Our coaches are great and do the right thing most of the time. But it seemed like we didn’t understand the moment (and momentum) a few times.
Oh well...on to next season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 685
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic