Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Demonte Capehart/Lavonta Bentley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Demonte Capehart/Lavonta Bentley

Nov 17, 2020, 9:41 PM

I saw the Lavonta Bentley/Regan Upshaw thread and thought about the following.

Going back to the ND game. Anyone who has been to practice or has heard something - what's the scoop on Capehart and Bentley?

Capehart at 315 65 is Dexter Lawrence size almost. The kid is really good off the ball. Yes, he's a true freshman! So is Murphy and Bresee. What is holding him(Capehart back)? All he did in his limited playing time this year was make the TV announcers go ga-ga over him! He was dominant! 2 TFL and 1 sack.

In an area where we are short it. Plus, no RS worries. My thing is why not give him a shot in Davis's absence?

Same thing with Bentley? He has the tools to be a next level(NFL) LB. In certain games, I understand not playing guys you don't trust. But, in others where it's clear what the opponent wants to exploit(where you are short help) why not give these youngsters a chance? Anyone who has noticed my post in the past knows I am the biggest BV fan in the world. This isn't criticism - which is why I am asking for some people in the know to give some insight. Has to be a reason they aren't getting more burn when we are down as many people as we have been.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Demonte Capehart/Lavonta Bentley

Nov 17, 2020, 9:43 PM

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/football/roster/demonte-capehart/

Stats from Citadel game.

And Bentley; "entered 2020 credited with 6 tackles in 10 snaps"! < - - - efficient production.

https://clemsontigers.com/sports/football/roster/lavonta-bentley/

Nov 17, 2020, 11:55 PM

Bentley is an absolute heat seeking missile, but it is taking him time to get the defense down. That's why he's been so solid on special teams but used so sparingly on defense. He definitely has plenty to bring to the table and hopefully he will turn the corner sooner than later.

Capehart has always been a freakish athlete who is very, very raw. The coaches have been clear early and consistently that he has as high a ceiling as anyone but that it will take him a little while before he truly gets it. When he does, he will be an automatic first rounder. Thankfully we get Tyler Davis back this week and hopefully he will stay healthy. Bresee avoiding serious injury against ND was huge. Those 2 with Nyles and Jordan give us plenty inside. Hopefully we can get Capehart some snaps the rest of the way and he can give us quality depth at the end of the season.

Skalski is just on another level than the rest of our LB's. Even when he comes back there's no guarantee we see him playing at the level he was at the beginning of the season. We need someone to step up, but I really don't think we have an answer this year at MLB. Keeping Jones healthy is a huge key with any mobile QB's we face and Trenton Simpson seems to be growing by leaps and bounds each week although he still has a long way to go. Venables will figure something out, but the Skalski loss really hurts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 2:03 AM

Good Answers! Appreciate the points.

When you look at defense and offense getting valuble reps this year w/o losing eligibility it's unreal how good we have the potential to be next year! This year as well as we get people healthy!

The future is bright for the Tigers!

Nov 18, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Demonte Capehart/Lavonta Bentley ]

We saw against LSU how important Skalski is to the defense.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Nov 18, 2020, 11:28 AM

Skalski is no doubt important! I am not saying that. Just stating "MY" importance list. Also, he was ejected in the 3rd qtr of the LSU game so literally no adjustment time for a back up player! Knowing weeks in advance is something totally different at a Clemson. You have talented - though less experienced players who should be able to step up and "make plays"!

I can't wait to get Skalski back to be clear as he is the QB of the defense and has played a lot of football and knows the defense which allows him to play fast. But, having someone disrupt the line of scrimmage and influence if an OL or OC even tries to get to your Linebackers is more important to me! Those guys if they can keep those big OL from the LB's the LB group can make plays! But, it all starts up front!
I love our guys - they are just inexperienced. If they get to the point I believe they will be this season the loss of Skalski won't be as bad. As it stands now - yeah, we need J. Skalski bad.

Let this sink in: We're gonna have to wait on Capehart

Nov 18, 2020, 12:34 AM

He's going to be an impact player, just not this year. His raw talent and physicality are incredible but most guys can't master things as freshman. Consider also how much COVID set back offseason and summer work.

Comparing Capehart to Bresee and Murphy isn't fair to him. Don't try to hold him to that standard. That said, before his Clemson career is over, I believe he'll be considered one of our legends.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Capehart, Bresee and Murphy...

Nov 18, 2020, 7:06 AM

are all highly-touted true freshmen; why isn’t it “fair” to compare Capehart’s progress to the other two? They’re all at the same practices, under the same coaching.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Capehart, Bresee and Murphy...

Nov 18, 2020, 10:05 AM

are all highly-touted true freshmen; why isn’t it “fair” to compare Capehart’s progress to the other two? They’re all at the same practices, under the same coaching.

I was thinking that; but since you did. Capehart spent his last season at IMG Academy instead of Hartsville. In that season, "he was dominant going against the so called best"! With his raw ability on certain downs and with our depth issues it's hard to see how he could hurt the situation.
Particularly talking about the ND game. Williams and Pinckney are solid hold the line guys. They aren't push the line of scrimmage to the opposing teams backfield guys. We need the latter!

Which is why I was asking if anyone knew if it was just the play book that was holding him back or something else? He is supposedly at 315 - 318 range and 6'5 with enough agility to play basketball(C. Wilkins). Hope he gets it all together soon as I feel we need penetraters along the Dline and not just hold the line guys. Because if you are holding the line - you are basically not getting off blocks! And are no trouble to double team. And place no worry in the OL minds about what games you will play up front.
I've really though Williams would be doing better inside as a former DE who should have enough quickness to disrupt blocking schemes! So far, not really happening! He is solid - can't say he isn't just not disruptive!
Pinckney has been hampered with injuries so hard to really say with him.

Bentley's speed and quickness and willingness to "pop you" is needed on that defense in Skalski's absence. Tone and mood setters who everyone else can feed off! One is injured and the other is too young right now! But, the future is so bright for our Tigers man!

Re: Capehart, Bresee and Murphy...

Sep 18, 2016, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Capehart, Bresee and Murphy... ]

See my comment below for my belief on why it's not fair.

Nov 18, 2020, 10:41 AM

I will reply to the OP instead of some of the lower comments to make it easier.

Bentley had trouble learning the concepts that Venables puts into the defense. The ability may be there, but not knowing what to do can make a player play much slower.

At the end of games, the pressure is off and he can run freely, but I believe if he went in without knowing what he was doing against a quality team they would expose him.

Capehart is Albert Huggins 2.0. His HS coaching was nonexistent which is why he left for IMG. He tried to get a year of better coaching down there and it seemed to pay off.

Then COVID hits and he loses the developmental time in the offseason. I think he could have overcome that BUT he has been on the not available list a few times this season. I'm guessing either an injury or missing time for something COVID related has hurt his ability to show his skills.

Also comparing Capehart to Bresee and Murphy is not even close to being fair. Forget what they were ranked coming in, but true freshmen that our coaches put on the field as starters or co-starters for a #1 ranked team in the country in game #1 are a different breed.

Not even Trevor Lawrence or Dexter Lawrence got that nod in the first game of their first season. I just checked and Dexter Lawrence was even listed as an "or" for 2nd team so he hadn't even clearly beaten Albert Huggins for #2 snaps leading up to the first game.

What Bresee and Murphy have done is ridiculous, and the reason Capehart isn't comparable is because almost nobody is.

Nov 18, 2020, 10:48 AM

TigersO said:

I will reply to the OP instead of some of the lower comments to make it easier.

Bentley had trouble learning the concepts that Venables puts into the defense. The ability may be there, but not knowing what to do can make a player play much slower.

At the end of games, the pressure is off and he can run freely, but I believe if he went in without knowing what he was doing against a quality team they would expose him.

Capehart is Albert Huggins 2.0. His HS coaching was nonexistent which is why he left for IMG. He tried to get a year of better coaching down there and it seemed to pay off.

Then COVID hits and he loses the developmental time in the offseason. I think he could have overcome that BUT he has been on the not available list a few times this season. I'm guessing either an injury or missing time for something COVID related has hurt his ability to show his skills.

Also comparing Capehart to Bresee and Murphy is not even close to being fair. Forget what they were ranked coming in, but true freshmen that our coaches put on the field as starters or co-starters for a #1 ranked team in the country in game #1 are a different breed.

Not even Trevor Lawrence or Dexter Lawrence got that nod in the first game of their first season. I just checked and Dexter Lawrence was even listed as an "or" for 2nd team so he hadn't even clearly beaten Albert Huggins for #2 snaps leading up to the first game.

What Bresee and Murphy have done is ridiculous, and the reason Capehart isn't comparable is because almost nobody is.

Thank You TigersO That was perfect! Makes sense and I understand all of it.
In fact, thanks to all! It's good to enjoy the distraction that is football right now. Much more serious and important things for sure. But, this distraction does a lot for the "mental health"!

Raised glass of purified water to you TigersO! Be willing to talk football with you anytime fellow Tigers fan!

Nov 18, 2020, 10:54 AM

I love posts similar to your OP!

Make TNET more fun and informing when you get to see everyone's responses.

Nov 18, 2020, 11:03 AM

TigersO said:

I love posts similar to your OP!

Make TNET more fun and informing when you get to see everyone's responses.

I agree 100%

Nov 18, 2020, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Demonte Capehart/Lavonta Bentley ]

Thank you for explaining it better than I did.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:36 PM

I actually didn't read yours until after I posted mine.

Your explanation is an excellent summary of mine for those who will place mine in their TLDR pile.

You analysis is spot on IMO!

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic