Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did Brent do something significantly different in this game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,357

Did Brent do something significantly different in this game

Dec 20, 2020, 9:22 AM

or did the players just execute it significantly better ??

I haven't gone back and watched it again, yet. But it looked like our regular defense. Am I missing something ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did Brent do something significantly different in this game

Dec 20, 2020, 9:28 AM

Tyler Davis

Dec 20, 2020, 9:29 AM

Yes. The Dline and LBs plan was to keep Book in the pocket and they executed that well. I think we rushed one more guy most plays last night than we did the first time but it was a very controlled rush. Made sure no one ran past book and got too far up the field.

Dec 20, 2020, 9:29 AM

Whatever he did and whatever our players did, let’s keep that type of play up. They seemed to play with an edge and a never let down attitude. They played confident, fast but under control, tackled well.

In BV we trust, what he is able to do to put the defense in best position to win games is fantastic. Clemson would do well to sign him to lifetime contract, like right now lol ???

I wouldn't LOL at signing BV to a lifetime contract. I

Dec 20, 2020, 9:36 AM

think it is a great idea. And while they are at it, Dabo too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Did Brent do something significantly different in this game ]

Yep, been pushing for that for awhile. 23 different starters this year and was without XT, without Foster... Two that I'm sure he was planning on, and counting on to anchor our D. No doubt he's a genius and we should honor him with a lifetime contract.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 9:32 AM

Yes. Key difference in this game was not being so aggressive on the pass rush. He trained the D line to not push so far upfield which would allow book to scramble like he did in the first game.

Multiple times last night Book attempted to scramble and failed. He got out a few times but not nearly like he did in the first game. That was the difference maker. Having Davis and Skalski back was huge too. They really take our defense to the next level

Dec 20, 2020, 9:38 AM

Yep Skalski coming up the middle on a blitz is a little different than Jake or Baylon coming. He is like another defensive lineman with a head of steam. I think somebody had mentioned earlier in the week don’t let Book go to his right and that also worked pretty well yesterday. The coverage must have been tighter earlier in routes from the second quarter on.

We contained Ian Book

Dec 20, 2020, 9:33 AM

Consistently and completely

Dec 20, 2020, 9:35 AM

We just played more disciplined last night and made it a point not to get too far upfield on our pass rush. having Skalski and Jones back to clean up plays was the difference.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 9:37 AM

Last night we saw a lot of more the blitz with containment..Similar what we saw vs Miami...Tyler Davis being back opened the defensive playbook 1000 times over. Ends crashes the edges and the pocket evaporated quick by Bresee or Davis with Simpson or Spector always in the hip pocket of Ian Book. Last game lack of push in the interior of the DL left lanes for Book to bail in to once trouble came about. That was few far and between this game.

Secondary wise we did what we should be doing all year..Match DK up on their best WR and let him play man-press all night. He did an outstanding job in coverage. We kept it pretty simple with the other DBs by staying in zone...nothing fancy...it helps when your DL is getting the necessary disruption that allows you to drop more men into coverage.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Yes. Run fits were significantly better with Skalski on

the field. Tyler Davis is a man.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

ND and their fans pissed Clemson and BV off! Like all

above said, they played with discipline, intensity and stock with the game plan. We made adjustments, ND didn't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2020, 9:39 AM

Who the he!! downvotes a post like this ??

Dec 20, 2020, 9:43 AM

Davis and Skalski were in the game, so run support was better, which Book can’t function without. The typical Venables aggressiveness was not in play like we usually see. The D line played contained the entire game to keep Book from scrambling and making plays by buying time. The secondary was playing more of a group coverage than normal (dropping 5 and sometimes even 6), which kept DB’s from being on their islands like we usually see and that took away the crossing routes Book has made a living off of this year. The ND game plan looked like it was all about getting the ball out quick to counter BV’s typical pressure, and when that wasn’t what they were playing against, they weren’t able to adjust. Basically what BV did was force Book to put ND on his arm and proved that he’s not good enough to carry his team.

Considering how well BV makes adjustments during

Dec 20, 2020, 9:44 AM

halftimes, having a full game under his belt against the same offense, plus a full six weeks to mull it over - that to me was the biggest X factor last night. What an awesome performance.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't over run the pocket and let Book escape to his right

Dec 20, 2020, 9:48 AM

Keeping him in the pocket allowing his happy feet to take over

We Had Our First....

Dec 20, 2020, 9:52 AM

team back on defense. That was the winning ticket to this game . I believe the Doomers were without their starting center as well. If XT had been in the game that extra depth at DE would have made the game even worse for them .

Having those players certainly helped being on the field, bu

Dec 20, 2020, 9:59 AM

I could notice when our edge rushers got even with Book, they would break down and keep the kettle shaped pocket, whereas the first game they were just flying and ever running Book Allowing him to flush right out of the pocket.It was beautiful to watch.

Dec 20, 2020, 9:50 AM

or did the players just execute it significantly better ??

I haven't gone back and watched it again, yet. But it looked like our regular defense. Am I missing something ?

It don’t hurt to have several starters on defense healthy this game.

Got players back and kept the DL at home to contain Book

Dec 20, 2020, 10:02 AM

Book got absolutely nothing scrambling all night long. Book had 67 yards rushing in the first game and -35 last night. Their RB couldn't run on us at all last night either after having 140 in the first game, but i think that was more a product of having Davis and Skalski back in the middle.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,357
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic