Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dillard Pruitt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Dillard Pruitt

Nov 20, 2020, 3:38 PM

Dillard has been a PGA Tour rules official for 22 years, and today is his last day of work. I don’t know why it would be today rather than Sunday, the last day of the tournament, but that’s what they said. Dillard was the first Clemson player to win a PGA tour event. I had the chance to play with him a couple of times, and he’s a really nice guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dillard Pruitt

Nov 20, 2020, 4:00 PM

I did not realize he was a 2x All American (first team his Sr Season) and 3x All ACC . . . Also didn’t realized that 5 years after he quit playing on the PGA Circuit, his Amateur Status was reinstated (2001) and he promptly won several Amateur Events and was even voted to the 2003 Walker Cup Team!!!

???? To Dillard ???? for representing us so well!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dillard Pruitt

Nov 20, 2020, 4:12 PM

There was some mild controversy about him being reinstated as an amateur, since he had won on the PGA Tour. The criticism wasn’t directed at him but at the USGA for granting reinstatement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understood the controversy, but I thought it was a good

Nov 20, 2020, 4:27 PM

decision. A person doesn't become a different animal because he becomes a professional. It's not a virus, and you don't get injected with magic abilities. Instead, it seems to me that the distinction between pro and am is time. Is one freeing time to play and practice by accepting money to play, or does he go to the range after work like the rest of us? Is the sport his reason for being, or is it a hobby? That's a way oversimplification, but I think it's reasonable to view a person who is no longer a professional to be viewed as an amateur.

They done Jim Thorpe wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I understood the controversy, but I thought it was a good

Nov 20, 2020, 4:36 PM

He just wanted the opportunity to continue to play competitive golf, albeit as an amateur. Without reinstatement, he would never have been able to compete in a meaningful event. Nonetheless, I think the controversy bothered him, and he never played in any more amateur events other than the few that Skeeta mentioned.

Nov 20, 2020, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Dillard Pruitt ]

pros have always ben able to be reinstated. seems odd but that has been around as a rule for a long tim

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 8, 2022, 5:39 PM

Back in the old days, it was was very difficult to regain amateur status, particularly if you had played professional tournament golf at the highest levels.

Nov 20, 2020, 5:14 PM

In early 80s, I lived on F-5 annex. Dillard and a number of the golf team lived there. Those golfers were nice guys... liked grass.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Nov 20, 2020, 7:05 PM

speaking of Clemson Golfers from the past like Dillard Pruitt,I have wondered what ever became of Clarence Rose.Like Dillard Pruitt,I used to follow Clarence all the time while he was on the tour and especially at the Masters walking and following him during his rounds at Augusta...https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/clarence-rose-1997-buick-classic-june-photo-by-stan-badzpga-tour-via-picture-id1182174236?s=2048x2048

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2020, 7:06 PM

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/clarence-rose-picture-id78135403?s=2048x2048

Great video. Thanks.***

Nov 20, 2020, 11:09 PM

Nov 20, 2020, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Dillard Pruitt ]

Apparently, he still lives in Goldsboro. He played in a few Champions events, but I don’t recall that he pursued it too vigorously.

Nov 20, 2020, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Dillard Pruitt ]

Clarence is the pro at Walnut Creek Country Club. As best I can tell, he's happy, living the life.
Clarence hated the travel and lifestyle. Not an issue on the regular tour, but I think, knowing he had his nut, couldn't deal with the senior tour. Of course, if you'll quit working on the long ball as a senior, and get on your wedges and putter......

Nov 20, 2020, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Dillard Pruitt ]

A bunch of us got together after Dillard's college career and sponsored him on the European Tour. Each of us put up $2000. Some may have put in more. After a couple of years I got a check for Dillard that almost covered the amount I had put in. Honestly, I never expected to see a dime and would have been perfectly fine with that. He could have easily not returned anything and no one would have known the difference. Class guy all the way!

I did some work with Clarence several years ago at his club in Goldsboro, NC .... Walnut Creek. He seems real happy being the golf professional there. He is another good one, for sure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations, Dillard

Nov 20, 2020, 7:34 PM

You and Tony Nimmer were two of the first guys I remember as a Clemson golf fan. John Trivison, Michael Taylor, Mitch Ralston, Jim Macfie...you guys were the old guard when my brother was recruited to play at Clemson.

Enjoy your retirement. Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Congratulations, Dillard

Nov 20, 2020, 8:15 PM

I remember those guys well. I lived on F5 wth them as a freshman. There were about 15 or more on the team back then. Not sure why so many. Mark Packer was one also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2020, 7:36 PM

I played against Dillard in high school and we continued to see each other while at Clemson. I used to go watch him hit balls down behind the baseball field. Always a class act.

Nov 20, 2020, 11:25 PM

He is a great and humble guy. I have been lucky to be acquainted with him and had no idea what he meant to Clemson golf until I read an article about his induction into the SC Hall of Fame. Happy Retirement!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic