Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FISHING WOES
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,740

FISHING WOES

Oct 7, 2020, 2:57 PM

Some of you older posters may remember #### Wheeler, former head of the CU Animal Husbandry Dept. many years ago. #### was one of my neighbors at that time. One beautiful summer morning he walked down to my house and we were having a nice chat and then he asked If I would like to go night fishing for crappie. That suited me just fine so we started making plans. #### would drive and take his boat and get a supply of minnows. He would also take his lantern. I would have my wife make some sandwiches and tea. It was during peach season so I included several peaches. When I gathered up all the food, I looked in the pantry and saw a tin of sardines and a package of Waverly Wafers which i threw in a sack.

#### said he knew a good place to go and a place where we could get the boat in the water with no trouble. We were getting excited and knew we would be coming home with a big string of fish. The hour of departure came and we loaded the boat with tackle, bait and food. Just like all old fishermen, we knew the fish would be waiting, we could feel it in our bones. The road to our fishing hot spot was a single lane road.

We got the boat in the water and knew immediately we were going to have a huge catch because there was a strong smell of fresh fish waiting for us to drop our lines in the water. We took the boat over to a spot where we knew the crappie were lurking. We dropped our lines in the water and before I could ask #### if he had a nibble, I was reeling in a one pound crappie. I was beginning to feel we had hit the mother lode.

Guys and Gals, I'll let you in on a secret right now, that was the only fish we caught from bust before sundown until midnight. We tried several more hot spots that turned out to be colder than an Eskimo's pinkie. The only thing that was happy on our boat was that crappie I threw back in the water. When returning from a fishing expedition and someone asks, "how many fish did you catch", If you say one, they will shame you by laughing. But if you tell them, "we didn't catch any", they commiserate with you and have that genuine look of sympathy on their face.

That one fish was not the worst part of our fun evening. It was just beginning to turn dark when we decided to have a bit to eat. I gave each one of us a sandwich and a cup of tea. I opened the tin of sardines and placed it on my leg so I could get out the Waverly Wafers. #### thought he had a bite and stood up in the boat, creating a big tilt to the boat. Both sandwiches went flying into the water, the tea overturned and the sardine tin overturned spilling that strong odor all over my trousers. Fortunately, we had more tea and the peaches.

About mid-night we decided we had enjoyed all the fishing we could stand for one day, so we headed for the spot where we could get the boat back on the trailer. We got he boat close to dry land so #### could get out without having to wade in water. I remained in the boat. I got the boat on the trailer and was trying to secure the boat when I slipped and fell in the water. The water was only about a foot deep but I was soaked up to my knees.

Finally we were ready to depart for home. We had gone about one-half mile when we smelled trouble. The engine was over-heating. Fortunately, #### had a flashlight and when he open the hood there was the trouble, a broken water line to the radiator. No phone, no proper tools to repair the problem and two weary fishermen. This was a one lane road but traffic was not a problem, we had not seen any other vehicles near the lake. While pondering our situation, a pair of headlights appeared coming from the lake. They drove up behind us and seeing we were having a problem, the driver came up to us and asked what was the problem. When we told him our problem and he looked at the broken water hose, he said, "no problem, I can fix that.

Luck was with us, He was a shade tree mechanic. He went back to his car and came back with the necessary tools to make the repairs. The hose had broken near where it was attached to the radiator and we were able to use the slack and stretch it enough to reattach the hose to the radiator. Now, all we needed was water to refill the radiator. Our savior volunteered to take us back to the lake for water. We grabbed the bait bucked jumped in the back seat andf off we went. Since there was no room to turn around, he had to back up for about one-half mile.

When we got in the car, there was not just one woman, there were two women in the front seat. I don't like to call anyone ugly, but in this case , I must tell the truth. those two women would be at the top of the ugly list. Anyway, we made it back down to the lake to get some water. We couldn't fill the bait bucket too full because it would "slosh" around in the car. People had thrown out plastic bottles in the area so we filled several to add to our collection.

Back to Dick's car, we added the water. When he started the car there was no evidence of a leak so wew were good to go. We asked our helper how much we owed him and he said, "not one red cent". He said that he was glad he happened to come along and help. We gave him some money anyway and now we were heading home.

We arrived at my house about 2:00 AM, tired, wet and reeking of sardine oil. I went to the basement and dropped my fishing gear, took off all of my clothes except my underwear and went back upstairs to my bedroom. My wife was now awake and asked about our fishing trip. I was in no mood to discuss all the fun we had enjoyed and casually remarked I was so tired I was going to jump in bed without taking a shower. In essence, she informed me, "Buster, you're not getting in this bed with me with your smelling like sardines". When she called me "Buster", I knew immediately there was no room for negotiating.

I did as she demanded and I must admit she was correct. We both were now wide awake. I began to tell her about all the fun we had and the joys of fishing. It's so amazing how one little fishing trip cn result in so many comical events even though they didn't appear to be comical at the time.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good story, Buster******

Oct 7, 2020, 3:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What timing you have! I just had a couple of those

Oct 7, 2020, 4:29 PM

fishing trips this year. Bad cut on finger, one trip (the consolation trip to our annual Canadian Lodge trip). Losing a 50"+ musky one trip. And I just got back from the beach. Expensive charter...one redfish and some nasty Spanish mackerel. And my buddy's boat was out of commission until we could fix the gas leak, the bilge pump, the bait tank pump AND the trolling motor bracket.

Lordy 2020 was tough. But I'm headed to south Georgia at the end of the month for some big bass fishing. I'm thinking my luck changes and I get my 10+lber. It just HAS to! But I will have extra trailer wheel bearings just in case.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What timing you have! I just had a couple of those

Oct 7, 2020, 8:35 PM

Nasty Spanish Mackerel??? Spanish are delicious if you cook them right.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FISHING WOES

Oct 7, 2020, 4:43 PM

Too bad the women were ugly. Could have turned the whole story around

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 5:02 PM

Eskimo's pinky ? apparently, that is racist - pls. be careful !

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2020, 8:48 PM

Lol, Joe. How many bad times have turned into fun and great stories as we retold them down the road!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right now- salt or freshwater fishing best?

Oct 7, 2020, 9:02 PM

Should I use live bait? Etc? I need help for the next couple of weeks of trying to go foshing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fishing*

Oct 7, 2020, 9:02 PM

Nm

Fishing*

Oct 7, 2020, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Right now- salt or freshwater fishing best? ]

Nm

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,740
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic