Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Herbstreit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Herbstreit

Sep 6, 2020, 5:40 PM

A friend of mine, who is a racially mixed minority, and I were traveling through California on our way to San Francisco. I was driving on the Freeway about 5 miles over the speed limit when a Sheriff’s deputy pulled up behind us and pulled me over. He approached the car as I rolled down my window. His 1st words were keep your hands where I can see them!!! I found this odd as I had never been told that by an officer before. He then told me to slowly retrieve my I.d. I complied, he then demanded to see my friend’s I.d.
My friend politely asked the officer why he needed to see his I.d? The officer replied “show me your I.d before I place you under arrest for failure to comply!!”
I said to my friend, “just show him your I.d so we can get out of here” he shook his head in disbelief and proceeded to reach into his pocket as the officer said to him, “slowly please”. After about 10 minutes the cop returned with our I.d’s and said we were free to go. No ticket, no explanation...
Another time, I was with my girlfriend, another friend of mine and his girlfriend. We were leaving a club around 2 a.m. heading back to my condo when we were approached by a very intoxicated man. The exchange started out friendly but got more confrontational as he became increasingly rude. We tried to ignore him hoping he would leave, i then asked him to leave? He then started spouting off racial slurs towards my buddy and his girlfriend and it was at this point I had had enough. The guy was walking his bike, so I grabbed it from him and threw it in the street. He lunged at me as I drove him into the ground, right as a police car was passing. The cop pulled over got out of his car, told all of us to stand with our hands against the wall. The cop then asked the drunk pos what happened he then slurred “ I was walking my bike when This f-ing racial epithet , racial epithet jumped me!!” My friend replied, that is not true officer!!” The officer snapped back, “I didn’t ask you so shut the #### up” not once asking the piece of #### to watch his language. Back up soon arrived and the original officer asked one of the other officers to handcuff my friend. Not me, the one who threw the guy to the ground, not the girls we were with, but the only minority male in the group. And I said nothing while it was happening!!!
Eventually, they separated us and got our stories individually. The guy I shoved was arrested and put in the paddy wagon, my friend had his handcuffs removed with no apologies from the officers.
I apologized to him for what had happened but never apologized for not sticking up for him when he was singled out because of the color of his skin. And I never apologized to my other friend when I told him to “just show him your I.d so we can get out of here.” And for that I feel guilt and regret. and as I write this, I’m in tears because I didn’t take a stand in either instance because I now know how that must have made them feel. And I have to believe that perhaps Herbstreit cried because at some point in his life, like me, he may have not taken a stand against bigotry when he felt he should have and now here we are, at this moment feeling like we have to take sides. This thing called “white guilt” is not guilt, at all, about being white but for not standing up against racial injustice when it was imperative that you did so and yes, justifiably feeling saddened and guilty.
And if you don’t feel guilt or regret, I have to believe, because you are a tiger fan, who like me, loves Clemson and everyone who represents our wonderful family, that you have always stood up against racial injustice, if given the chance. And for that I applaud you!
Go Tigers!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Herbstreit

Sep 6, 2020, 7:39 PM

Racism is in all races my friend. You experienced some racist white people and cops. I could tell you my experiences with racist blacks, one of whom was my boss, but don't know if you would believe me. That is what bothers me most about all these protests, flag burning, statue removal, looting, and violence, white people are the cause of it because all whites are racists and blacks are not. Sadly so untrue. When natural disasters strike, who are the volunteers out there doing the work ? Predominantly
whites. These volunteers are helping people no matter what their race might be. Very, very few minorities are ever present. As an ex-social worker, I've seen it too many times. Facts are facts so just stick to them. You brought it up so I answered it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you assaulted an elderly, intoxicated homeless man...

Sep 6, 2020, 8:24 PM

& the rest never happened-virtue signaling X 1000

Sep 6, 2020, 8:25 PM

JUST DO WHAT THE OFFICER SAYS DO!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2020, 11:03 AM

Thank you for this. Glad to see someone on this god-forsaken board who isn’t all “reverse racism this and that” or “just do what the crazy officer pointing a gun at you for no reason says to do!” Refreshing to see someone who leads with empathy.

null

Sep 7, 2020, 5:30 PM

I don’t care who is in the car with me if we get pulled over by the cops. If anyone in my car questions the officer as to “why” they have to follow the officer’s instructions, I will personally call their ### out...the officer won’t have to.

Good grief, how difficult is this really ?

Every citizen has unalienable rights

Sep 7, 2020, 6:24 PM

police officers do not have the power under law to do whatever they want to you. The OPs friend in the car is correct that he only needed to provide ID if he was driving. The police officdr can ask for his ID but can't demand it under threat of arrest. That is illegal and they shouldn't get to abuse their power because it's easier yo comply rather than stand up for your rights.

Re: Every citizen has unalienable rights

Sep 7, 2020, 7:22 PM

That in No way changes what I would do if someone in my vehicle did that. I don’t give 2 craps about what an officer can and can’t do in that situation.

Sep 7, 2020, 6:00 PM

Comply with police and no problem, Go to the academy and become a cop. Then comeback a tell us some more stories.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So comply no matter what they do or say?

Sep 7, 2020, 6:27 PM

sorry but as an American citizen we all have rights that the police took oaths to uphold and protect. If they don't want to do that because it's hard or an inconvenience then they need to find another line of work. I refuse to give up my rights and live by "always comply" no matter what.

Sep 7, 2020, 6:31 PM

A situation happened to a couple of friends I worked with, one black, one white. They were stopped by multiple officers, and according to their telling, these officers weren't nearly as polite as the one you encountered. After they were IDed they were sent on their way, with no explanation. They found out later that a whole family had been gunned down because of a drug deal gone bad, or something like that. These guys were looking for the shooters, and I guess they weren't taking any chances.

I was once stopped by a local cop, that pulled me over told me to get out of my car, and then never asked for my license, but was very nasty and offensive, because It was not quite dusk yet and I hadn't turned my headlights on. He was a total jerk. The only reason I can think of to make him act that way was, that I had long hair, played my music loud and drove a loud car. He was a jerk, but I know that not all cops are that way. Some have been very polite and have even cut me breaks when I should have been charged for traffic violations.

There are good cops, there are bad cops, but the good ones unfortunately, take the rap along with the bad ones. They have a very stressful job, not ever knowing if the situation they are involved in is going to get them killed. It's a job I wouldn't want.

Not saying what happened to you was right, but I try to give them the benefit of a doubt.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2020, 6:49 PM

Sep 7, 2020, 6:52 PM

Thanks for sharing. Many get it, that this post does not mean all cops are bad...and it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t comply with police. Sadly a vocal minority won’t get it. In my mind it means that if you look at the statistics (and hear the stories), minorities are disproportionately harassed. Each side can do better...praying that they will!

What stats are those?

Sep 7, 2020, 9:45 PM

Sep 7, 2020, 7:11 PM

So, empty your bank account and give it to your friend along with your car title. That will make you feel better.

Sep 7, 2020, 7:17 PM

I asked a black friend of mine if he had ever felt profiled by a cop. He thought for a second and said “as I’m walking down the street in my khakis with my shirt tucked in saying good evening sir, hello mam, ummm nope can’t say that I have “.

You are exactly the problem, djsveven - all you think of is

Sep 7, 2020, 8:26 PM

yourself. Typical Liberal.

Did it ever occur to you or your dumb*ss friend that there might be an active warrant out for a car similar to yours or possibly for two young males of mixed races riding around together? There's literally an infinite number of possibilities that could have been involved.

And news f*cking flash - they don't owe you any explanation at all. They have a job to do that is without regard to you.

You're not the only ones on the Planet, mof*; just do what they ask you to do, so everybody can go home safe. SMFDH...

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic