Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hypothetical: Clemson and Florida lose in the championships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,503

Hypothetical: Clemson and Florida lose in the championships

Dec 9, 2020, 9:20 AM

Now what happens ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypothetical: Clemson and Florida lose in the championships

Dec 9, 2020, 9:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

1. Bama, 2. Notre Dame, 3. Ohio State, 4. Texas A&M***

Dec 9, 2020, 9:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: 1. Bama, 2. Notre Dame, 3. Ohio State, 4. Texas A&M***

Dec 9, 2020, 10:02 AM

Exactly. And, quite frankly, I suspect some on the committee are hoping for that. Then, the only thing they would have to defend is, "Why pick aTm over Cincinnatti?"

If FL or Clemson loses, Ohio State is in, even if they end the season at 5-0 and no B1G championship game.

"They passed the eye test." Forget about the fact that they only played one decent team and they certainly didn't pass it that game. If "eye test" is the criteria, then Cincy and Coastal Carolina should be in serious consideration. I suspect either of those teams would be 5-0 playing OSU's schedule.

The one scenario the committee doesn't want is UF and Clemson both winning. Then they have to leave Bama, ND or Ohio State out. Bama would be in. But, the controversy over the other two would be fun to watch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2020, 10:13 AM

The one thing I'll say about Ohio State is they're proof that the committee takes prior years into consideration with their rankings. I think we all obviously knew that already, and honestly it's a natural thing to do. However, it seems the committee always denies this and speaks in terms of looking at the current season only.

If that isn't the case, then what has Ohio State done this season that is so much more impressive than what 4-0 USC has done? Don't get me wrong, I think Ohio State would beat USC by 10+ if they played, but honestly that's due to my own bias of comparing the two teams over the past several seasons. For this season alone though, how is Ohio State 4th while USC is only 15th?

The Committee also says ...

Dec 9, 2020, 10:19 AM

they look at the complete body of work.

Using that logic, there is absolutely zero basis to have OcryO State ranked ahead of teams like Florida and A&M.

The Bucknuts simply haven't played enough games. They've played just one team with a winning record and didn't look particularly good in that game especially on defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Complete bodies of work

Dec 9, 2020, 1:34 PM

Ocryo St. = Calista Flockhart

Other contenders = Sophia Vergara

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frankly...

Dec 9, 2020, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: 1. Bama, 2. Notre Dame, 3. Ohio State, 4. Texas A&M*** ]

if Florida and Clemson both win, unless the games are really one-sided, Bama and Notre Dame could both still get in.

Based on the rankings thus far, it's pretty clear the Committee is going to protect an undefeated OcryO State team regardless of the number of games they play which means they would have to choose between Bama and Notre Dame for the fourth spot.

Dec 9, 2020, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: 1. Bama, 2. Notre Dame, 3. Ohio State, 4. Texas A&M*** ]

It is laughable that anybody would out Coastal or Cincy in over OSU idc how many games they have played. They are clearly one of the best 4 teams.

Dec 9, 2020, 10:15 AM

If we lose to ND twice, we don't deserve to go, but I would still take it.

then both teams are out...duh***

Dec 9, 2020, 12:30 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypothetical: Clemson wins one and Florida lose in the championships

Dec 9, 2020, 3:51 PM

Would this result in: 1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. Notre Dame 4. tOSU

Then Bama v tOSU and Clemson v Notre Dame! Tigers & Irish play in the rubber match!

Re: Hypothetical: Clemson wins one and Florida lose in the championships

Dec 9, 2020, 6:32 PM

1. Alabama 2. Clemson 3. OSU 4. Notre Dame

Dec 9, 2020, 4:06 PM

I may be in the minority, but my belief is you win your conference or go home. I don't think any team, including us, deserves a CFP spot if you aren't your conference champ. Otherwise, why do we even have conference championships?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Dec 9, 2020, 4:24 PM

Usually, but not always true. Especially in a year when some teams are playing nearly double the number of games as other teams. Even if OSU plays in their championship game how could anyone that a 6-0 team is more deserving than a 9-2 team? If OSU is considered all teams should be judged on their 6 best games.

Dec 9, 2020, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Hypothetical: Clemson and Florida lose in the championships ]

Howardsboy - well, in 2017 not only did Bama NOT win the SECCG, they didn’t even play in it (Bama had one loss to Auburn in the Iron Bowl). OSU was BIG10 Conf Champ but with two losses (Purdue and Iowa(?)) was #5 and got left out of the CFP. I kinda agree with you and view the Conf Champ games as a screen out. In 2017 Bama played one less game and got to heal up & rest over those that played in a Conf Champ game. Like Notre Dame resting up every year prior to this year.

Go Tigers!

Dec 9, 2020, 4:48 PM

Not trying to be debbie downer...If that happens.. I hope we get Florida in our NY6 game. We havent played them in almost 60 years.
Of course I would rather us both win and play in the CFP.

Dec 9, 2020, 5:01 PM

What would be really fun, would be cl err mson and ohio stagnation miss out on the NATTY AND THEN play each other in some other game and Clemson hangs a 100 points on them!

Clemson and Florida lose and would be a great Orange Bowl matchup!

Dec 9, 2020, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Hypothetical: Clemson and Florida lose in the championships ]

But, Pasadena sounds a lot better. Go Tigers beat the Irish!

Dec 9, 2020, 6:30 PM

If Clemson wins and Florida wins, then to get OSU into the playoffs the committee will have to bump either:

A Notre Dame team that beat Clemson and has a national following; or

Alabama.

I don't believe the committee has the guts to replace Alabama with OSU. Frankly it will take guts to replace Notre Dame, but I think the committee would cave like little girls.

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,503
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic