Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have never seen anything like what is happening right now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I have never seen anything like what is happening right now

Nov 1, 2020, 2:36 PM

Tuesday will be a massive red wave...

Arizona is a "battleground" state? Right... 96 miles --- NINE. SIX.

https://twitter.com/redwins3_first/status/1322699901747236867

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beverly Hills, CA

Nov 1, 2020, 2:38 PM

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1322712206157426688

Re: Beverly Hills, CA

Nov 1, 2020, 9:10 PM

I saw Jed and Granny there!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yesterday in PA...

Nov 1, 2020, 2:39 PM

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1322683973366095874

The polls can't be that far off, I would think.

Nov 1, 2020, 2:45 PM

More of an enthusiasm gap. Although many people are voting for Trump even though they don't like him, some people absolutely love him. On the other hand, I haven't heard anyone at all say that they are excited about Biden. He's just the imperfect means to an end.

null

Re: The polls can't be that far off, I would think.

Nov 1, 2020, 2:50 PM

Agree 100%. He draws very enthusiastic crowds. Always has. There is basically a basement of 43% of the population that will drive hours and stand in long lines in the cold to go to these rallies.

Here's the thing though... The population of Arizona is 7 million. 13 million in PA. 40 million in CA. These rallies and parades make for nice pictures, and the enthusiasm is off the charts, but they are a very excited tiny fraction of the voting population.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2020, 2:53 PM

Nov 1, 2020, 3:01 PM

T3,

What is the "intent" of the EC to which you refer ??

Electoral College's intent...

Nov 1, 2020, 3:05 PM

is to ensure representation for all states. Get rid of it and absolutely no reason for the middle of America to even vote in the presidential election. The U.S. was not intended to be simply ruled by the majority.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taxation without representation***

Nov 1, 2020, 3:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many Dems do not understand this...***

Nov 1, 2020, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Electoral College's intent... ]

"most" to "all" don't understand this***

Nov 1, 2020, 3:18 PM

and the genius is it still weighs in the majority opinion...

Nov 1, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Many Dems do not understand this...*** ]

As a republic of states, Democrats wouldn't want every state to have one vote either. The electoral college gives different states different weight based on population.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a fallacious argument, at best.

Nov 1, 2020, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Electoral College's intent... ]

Under the EC, 5 million Trump voters in CA have their votes count for nothing. Another 3 million Trump voters in New York...nothing. Every vote is meaningful in a popular vote election system. People in the midwest would have more reason than ever to turn out for elections.

Defenders of the EC do so because it benefits the Republican candidate. Prove me wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a fallacious argument, at best.

Nov 1, 2020, 3:29 PM

I'll prove you right. Wait long enough and one day the EC will disfavor Republicans. Watch everyone's opinion on the EC turn on a dime.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when has that ever happened...

Nov 1, 2020, 3:35 PM

I think you will be waiting a looooong time. Are the urban and rural voters going to switch affiliations and vote against their own interests?

Re: when has that ever happened...

Nov 1, 2020, 6:57 PM

It was an expected possibility in 2000 for whatever reason. The surprise was that it went the other way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when has that ever happened...

Nov 1, 2020, 6:59 PM

A little googling suggests that it might have been that people expected a big turnout from Texas, which could have given him the popular vote without the electoral college. It's been a long time so my memory is rusty.

I'm sure there has been an instance...

Nov 1, 2020, 8:05 PM

and I am certain there are some unforeseen issues in the future. I did some googling too trying to find some stuff. I think it said there have been 4 times where the EC winner did not win popular vote. I thought it was bigger...so I learned that.

Also, it seems the South raised a stink because Lincoln won without a single Southern elector.

It seems the Founders didn't expect us to morph into the binary system we have. They envisioned us always having multiple parties competing in the general election.

Re: That's a fallacious argument, at best.

Nov 1, 2020, 3:30 PM [ in reply to That's a fallacious argument, at best. ]

well, I explained it in more detail in another post...

Nov 1, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to That's a fallacious argument, at best. ]

We are a collection of states. The founders wanted every state to have a voice in its federal representation. We could go for equal 1 vote per state. Democrats wouldn't like that since most states go Republican.

But the states are weighted in EC. This creates a balance between state representation and popular vote.
Without the EC, California and the Northeast would determine the election every year. No need for any of the other states to vote. The Midwest does not have the population to thwart the will of the big cities.

well put... people forget history

Nov 1, 2020, 3:35 PM

and it's vital we don't let them

Re: well, I explained it in more detail in another post...

Nov 1, 2020, 3:39 PM [ in reply to well, I explained it in more detail in another post... ]

I described it as genius earlier...

Nov 1, 2020, 4:02 PM

but going back to do a little research, it seems like it is "accidental genius," as the EC came about as a compromise by tired politicians arguing between federal and state interests. Nevertheless, the intent is how I stated it, it was designed to "provide a degree of popular participation in the election, give the less populous states some additional leverage in the process by providing “senatorial” electors, preserve the presidency as independent of Congress and generally insulate the election process from political manipulation."

Re: I described it as genius earlier...

Nov 1, 2020, 4:13 PM

Re: I described it as genius earlier...

Nov 1, 2020, 7:08 PM

You cannot talk with these idiots about the EC. It was a genius plan to get all states on board @ the time and still is true today. Our founding fathers knew what they were doing.

Nope, he was correct.***

Nov 1, 2020, 7:21 PM [ in reply to That's a fallacious argument, at best. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm happy for Trump that he is finally getting the parades

Nov 1, 2020, 7:17 PM

he was hoping for as President. These are a lot less costly to taxpayers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

are we passing through the tail of a comet?

Nov 1, 2020, 9:22 PM

this is just like the movie maximum overdrive, except there are people behind the wheel.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic