Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In case it hasn't been posted; Tony Elliot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 2,650

In case it hasn't been posted; Tony Elliot

Jan 23, 2021, 1:28 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-tennessee-interested-in-clemson-oc-tony-elliott-for-hc-position/ar-BB1d1z5Z?li=BBnbfcL

Tennessee is a train wreck, but maybe TE would be interested. Tenn. is a team that is going to take time to repair. Any coach is going to need time to rebuild. If they take the approach that Va.Tech did with Beamer, who didn't have a winning season for six years, and they don't fire him in three years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tennessee could (and most likely will) do a lot worse.

Jan 23, 2021, 1:32 PM

Sooner (which is already almost gone) or later, Tony will make the jump to a HC position. If he could get an ironclad guarantee that he could run things his way, Rocky Top could be a good job again. But, unfortunately, I believe they suffer from the same kind of major booster interference that exists at Awbarn, Texas, and several other places.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Elliott Would Get 2 Years Max ---

Jan 23, 2021, 2:01 PM

......maybe 3.....then they'll let him go if he struggles for all 3 of those years. Seen that rodeo movie too many times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In case it hasn't been posted; Tony Elliot

Jan 23, 2021, 2:06 PM

I have no idea if Danny White would be interested in Tony. I have no idea if Tony would be interested in UT.

Danny White does have a great track record of hiring successful coaches. He hired Scott Frost and Josh Huepel at UCF. Frost has struggled at Nebraska, but he came into a bad situation at UCF and turned it around immediately. Josh Huepel was just as successful until Mckenzie Milton got injured, and still was very successful. He also hired Johnny Dawkins who has done an excellent job in hoops.

I'm guessing he will hire someone with previous HC experience. I don't think he'll go after Elliott, but it wouldn't shock me if he did.

It comes with success. Every year assistant coaches are in the rumor mill. Venables and Elliot will be mentioned every year until they leave Clemson or until they turn 60.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it would be a bad situation for Tony.

Jan 23, 2021, 2:53 PM

Tennessee isn’t an easy rebuilding job. Recruits today haven’t seen Tennessee be a strong program, and either don’t know or don’t care what they did 20+ years ago.

Plus, there is the issue of NCAA sanctions likely forthcoming.

I also think it would be tough to win over the Tennessee fans. They have already lived through some poor hires recently. They aren’t likely to be very excited about a guy without a history of being a successful head coach.

It could be a gamble worth taking for Tony, and could turn out really well. But I personally would like to see him hold out for something better.

He also has to consider how patient he’s willing to be. If he keeps saying no, prospective employers will stop calling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 4
| visibility 2,650
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic