Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Friends, Tigers, Countrymen, bend me your ears!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 504

Friends, Tigers, Countrymen, bend me your ears!

Nov 18, 2020, 11:12 AM

Would those of you who voted either for The Joe or against The Don agree that you most likely voted against your own wallet?

Would those of you who voted Trump agree that, had he stopped the name calling and incessant tweets, he would have won without question?

Thanks for taking my call. I'll toke up and listen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I voted for neither...

Nov 18, 2020, 11:18 AM

but I don't consider "my wallet" when I vote. If I'm relying on federal government policy to sustain me, then I need to fix something with me.

I think a number of things would have helped the President win. I think if he had treated COVID as a serious threat and backed up his health experts, he would have won. I think it's obvious that if he were a kind person, he would have easily won.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be clear, if he were kind,

Nov 18, 2020, 11:30 AM

I would have voted for him, despite his posture toward COVID, which I feel was lacking.

"If I'm relying on federal government policy to sustain me,

Nov 18, 2020, 11:34 AM [ in reply to I voted for neither... ]

then I need to fix something with me."

I was going to ask if you understand tax policy, capital gains, and their affects on how businesses spend and invest their money, but then I remembered that you use the federal government as your yearly short tern savings plan.

I vote for lower taxes, because it's good economic policy

Nov 18, 2020, 11:37 AM

for the reasons you stated. It's NOT because it benefits me personally. It's not about my wallet.

Re: Friends, Tigers, Countrymen, bend me your ears!

Nov 18, 2020, 11:19 AM

Trump would have won hands down it the Wuhan flu had not be push out into the world. They knew the only way to beat Trump was to have some kind of recession. Sometime it looked like Trump did not want to get re-elected with some of his actions.

Nov 18, 2020, 11:53 AM

OC,

Who are they ??

Nov 18, 2020, 12:34 PM

Mainstream media, Hollywood personalities. Why you don't think it is true?

Nov 18, 2020, 11:24 AM

If you can't get more votes than Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton, you have bigger issues than Twitter. We really need ranked choice voting.

Unless Congress gives us some serious pay raises, I doubt I am going to make more than $450K so my wallet shouldn't be affected.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 11:32 AM

"ranked choice voting"? Please expound.

Are you some pinko commie expecting someone else to

Nov 18, 2020, 11:38 AM

google for you?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/10/02/why-ranked-choice-voting-improve-american-elections-yang-weld-column/5877731002/

Re: Are you some pinko commie expecting someone else to

Nov 18, 2020, 11:55 AM

Ahh... First past the post, as in 'the thing Brits have been ###ching about for decades'. No thanks.

Considering the last tax cuts were a wash for me and

Nov 18, 2020, 11:31 AM

tariffs have raised prices on pretty much ERR'thang, no. The myth that a conservative WH is better for your wallet has been s h a t t u r d so many times.

If Trump were a conservative, that might be true.***

Nov 18, 2020, 11:35 AM

The "tax cut" increased my federal tax to where I owed

Nov 18, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Considering the last tax cuts were a wash for me and ]

over $15K the first year the new tax cut was in play. The previous year I only paid $1600 in federal tax in April. My salary was too high I was forced to max out my 401K and direct other pretax funds to reduce my taxable income. Even with that, I still owed around $4500 in federal tax each year since.

Re: The "tax cut" increased my federal tax to where I owed

Nov 18, 2020, 12:09 PM

The tax cut helped those making less than $50K and

Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

the very wealthy.

I was making $315K per year the first year of the "tax cut", and it was killing me. There are only so many ways to defer your pretax money, and I used them all.

Re: The tax cut helped those making less than $50K and

Nov 18, 2020, 12:38 PM

Did you start a small business?

Re: The tax cut helped those making less than $50K and

Nov 18, 2020, 12:53 PM [ in reply to The tax cut helped those making less than $50K and ]

When you evaluate a tax change by what...

Nov 18, 2020, 1:11 PM [ in reply to The "tax cut" increased my federal tax to where I owed ]

you owe when you file your return, you aren't really evaluating the entire picture.

The only real tell is how much you paid in taxes (meaning total taxes paid via W2 and your return) relative to your income...or your effective tax rate.

Re: Considering the last tax cuts were a wash for me and

Nov 18, 2020, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Considering the last tax cuts were a wash for me and ]

I think it it worth reiterating that party affiliation is not very important to GDP and the economy. (see attached)

Nov 18, 2020, 11:33 AM

coot,

As to your wallet comment:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/09/25/biden-democratic-sweep-would-be-best-outcome-for-the-economy-moodys-says/?sh=541eca0b4283

As to your Twitter comment:

I think it was Trump's utter failure to provide leadership in dealing with the Corona virus that did him in. he was finally called on to be a leader and he failed miserably. That was the things that caused people to finally realize that the Orange Emperor had no clothes.

Sergei Klebnikov = plays golf with Hunter

Nov 18, 2020, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Friends, Tigers, Countrymen, bend me your ears! ]

So why does my 401K disagree with Forbes? Four years under Trump did better than eight under Hussein.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:22 PM

coot,

First of all it's Obama (don't let your cootness overwhelm you)

Secondly, how can you even attempt to conflate what Obama did (having to deal with the Bush Great Recession) to what the Forbes experts predict as to what Biden will do ?

Also, I don't think your 401K is an accurate measure of the health of the economy as a whole. But if you want to see Obama's GDP growth vs. Trump's - see the attached - and notice that Trump's numbers do not include 2020 (which are abysmal).

all the politicians are about the same

they all spend like it is not their money and they only listen to the lobbyists

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Nov 18, 2020, 11:40 AM

1.) I don't agree. One could argue that President Trump's performance has cost us all much money, opportunity, and time that we otherwise would have enjoyed. That might seem unfair, but then again, so is your question.

2.) The tweets, like this post, are a sample of the man. It is not necessarily the volume that is problematic, as much as it is the quality of tweets. He simply needed better Tweets. It is like the guy we all assume is brilliant because of "name, college, degree", til he opens his mouth at the dinner table and proves otherwise.

Nov 18, 2020, 11:59 AM

No.

You keep missing the point. The main reason the middle turned on Donald Trump is really simple - because we are voting with our wallets. And for our right to vote again in the future.

Because you know what's really bad for my wallet, and for my ability to vote again in the future? The collapse of Democracy, and an actual Fascist in the White House. That's really bad...not just for business, but for civilization in general.

That's a lot more of a problem than his Mean Tweets, his mouth, and even his incessant corruption and blithering incompetence.

The Donald really, truly thought he was bigger than America, bigger than the country, and all of us owed blind devotion to him. He aspired to be Putin, Kim Jong-on, Recep Erdogan, or Mohammed bin Salman...those being the folks he respected and got along with the best. And he kept crashing through guardrail after guardrail, and nobody within his own party seemed willing to stand up to him aside from McCain, Romney, and Mark Sanford.

There were a disturbing number of folks who agreed with him, too, which was probably the scariest part. You wanna line up behind a wanna-be strongman authoritarian third-world dictator, that's your lookout, but don't expect the majority of Americans to sing Kumbaya.

If somebody doesn't get that, I'm well past the point of caring.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:10 PM

Mark Sanford???? Really?? The guy who announced he was running for Prez then dropped out after no one came to his presser at Compton's Kitchen in West Cola? Digging deep in the political gunny sack for that one.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

coot,

At least he stood up. It really is a sad commentary on the state of the Republican Party that there are soooo few that would put country before Trump to choose from.

Nov 18, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Friends, Tigers, Countrymen, bend me your ears! ]

Q,

Thank goodness he was so incompetent.

I make it a point to make Joe, Trump, or whoever as little

Nov 18, 2020, 12:30 PM

a part of my wallet as possible. Honestly, the biggest tax hit I've taken in my adult life just happened in Lexington County, with a reassessment. That will cost me more, quicker, than any tax increase to date. 20% in a year's time. We better be driving on golden roads and have palatial schools.

Which begs the quershun, are we going to be taxed on the $2K and change we were stimulated with that's been sitting in my savings account?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I make it a point to make Joe, Trump, or whoever as little

Nov 18, 2020, 12:36 PM

Welcome to the big city my friend.

I moved from a big dem city to a smaller pub town

Nov 18, 2020, 1:21 PM

Taxes went UP. Services went down. Can't even get then to take yard trash.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The pass-through tax deduction was a nice boost

Nov 18, 2020, 12:38 PM

I was fine with the prior administration taxes and happy with my take home pay with Obama. The TCJA cuts were nice, and added onto my savings even more during Trump's term.

We'll see what the Biden administration rates yield and how high earners are impacted. Hope he only splits the difference between the past two administrations, but my life won't change that much either way.

Yes, I most likely voted against my own wallet, but I have enough to spare. Most of my net worth is now driven by the stock market change, so fingers crossed there too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 504
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic