Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the Big 10 does play football this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,679

If the Big 10 does play football this year

Sep 16, 2020, 9:04 AM

how can they be eligible for the CFP if they play 3 less games than the ACC and 2 less games than the SEC and Big 12? You just know that the CFP is going to use "the eye test" and just claim that Ohio State is just better than other teams and is thus deserving of being called one of the 4 best teams. But it just seems like BS that they could possibly be given the same reward for playing 20% less games.

I know our 11th game isn't exactly a challenge, but anything can happen in those cupcake games, with players getting freak injuries and such. It's still football.

Shouldn't a 11-1 or 10-1 team be ranked ahead of a 9-0 team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the Big 10 does play football this year

Sep 16, 2020, 9:16 AM

Don’t worry about it. We don’t want to miss another opportunity to beat Ohio State

Sep 16, 2020, 9:52 AM

It's not like I'm scared to play Ohio State. I just don't think that they (or their conference) should be rewarded for trying to make a power move to get all football be shut down for the season, turn face after they realize the mistake they made, then squeeze in an even more abbreviated season.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:16 AM

I do think they will be eligible, but it may affect ranking. Like they may be ranked 4th instead of 3rd.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:28 AM

Meaning it will be used as the excuse this year to match them up against Clemson in the first round giving the SEC a pass again. We can't control that but that is how I see it setting up.

The committee will make sure the two SEC teams don’t

Sep 16, 2020, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: If the Big 10 does play football this year ]

play each other in the semis. So we would only see the bucknuts if they make the CFP Championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 16, 2020, 9:27 AM

If the 11-1 team goes 2-1 against ranked teams and the 9-0 team goes 4-0 against ranked teams, are you still singing the same tune?

Sep 16, 2020, 9:48 AM

Yes. The 11-1 team played 25% more games, put themseleves at greater risk of injury, bad bounce, off day, etc... The more games that are played the more focus that is required to stay on top, it's easier to go 9-0 than 12-0. We see a bunch of teams every year go 9-0, but much less go 12-0.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:58 AM

Committee doesn’t care. We’ve faced a team that didn’t play a conference championship game at least three times so far in the CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 16, 2020, 10:01 AM

4 times actually....the first bowl last year was the first and only time we played a team that did play in their conference championship.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 16, 2020, 1:04 PM

Clemson has had to play an extra-rested team 4 times, and the number of other teams that have ever had to do that is ZERO.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:33 AM

It doesn't matter. The Playoff will have two SEC teams, Clemson and then we needed a plus 1.

After this past week, it looks like the B12 kicked them selves out of the race and with the Sunbelt being the #4 conference, the B10 said, maybe we can do this if we can avoid playing Clemson first.

I am sure the CFP would rig it as:

#1 Clemson
#2 Alabama
#31-0hio State
#4 SEC #2

SEC #2 will be Georgia, as they will lose to Florida, only be a 1 loss team but Florida will get blasted the the SEC CG and thus they will promote the 3rd-quarter dawgs to a beating.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:47 AM

SO swap Bama and Clemson if bama runs the table in the SEC beating GA and FLA or GA twice then they will be 1 no question

Be not concerned as OSU will lose this year

Sep 16, 2020, 9:52 AM

All this turmoil and not knowing about the year will lead to problems on and off the field they cannot overcome.

Even if they make the CFP for some reason, our Tigers are better team. There are a lot of opt outs that will hurt these teams.

Re: Be not concerned as OSU will lose this year

Sep 16, 2020, 10:08 AM

There is already a lot of buzz on many of the "opt outs" opting back in.

Ohio State will be trying to make a statement.

Sep 16, 2020, 10:11 AM

They'll run the score up on every opponent in an effort to sway the playoff committee.

Starters will not be pulled.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BIG just announced

Sep 16, 2020, 10:13 AM

Start play on October 24. 8 game season.

Sep 16, 2020, 10:17 AM

It will be interesting to see how the committee views an 8-0 OSU team that plays 8 straight weeks with no bye week vs a team that played 10 games and had two bye weeks for rest. I didn't see whether there was a week off before the championship game.

As much as I dislike the Big 10, 9 straight weeks of ball is going to be a tough road, assuming they make it through with no cancellations.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,679
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic