Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries...

Feb 6, 2020, 2:22 PM

Don’t get me wrong, it’s absolutely deserved, but where is all the $$$$ coming from for our coaches salaries and how long can we sustain the increases.

It looks like BV didn’t get a raise this time. I wonder if they are trying to be creative there since he’s already #2 DC?

What really scares me is the longevity of our coaches. Other schools lose them and that frees up $$$ for a raise for another coach. But at Clemson, everyone gets a raise every year and they stay around. Seems like that might be something unique to our program. Can we manage it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries...

Feb 6, 2020, 2:29 PM

OK TRY THIS MULTIPLY 65 X 80,OOO X 7
THEN ADD IN ALL KIND OF MONEY FOR CONCESSIONS
THEN ADD IN LOTS OF MONEY FOR GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS EVERY YEAR
THEN ADD THE MONEY WE GET FROM THE ACC EVERY YEAR
JUST A GUESS BUT I THINK WE CAN AFFORD IT
BUT AGREE COACHES SALARIES ARE OUT OF CONTROL AS WELL AS TICKET PRICES

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, An extra 10,000 season tix sold, including the

Feb 6, 2020, 3:39 PM

associated income, is enough to cover a lot of salary increases. I don't know offhand what season tix sales are today vs 10 years ago, but if one adds all the dollars associated with whatever the increase has been my guess is that you get a really big number.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries... ]

True, there’s a boatload of money coming from all sorts of places (including my wallet), but not all of it goes to football. Softball certainly didn’t pay for that new stadium without ever playing a game. Or the staff/coaches for softball.

FB revenue built that (and IPTAY). A lot of the money we make from playoffs gets spent traveling to the playoff. The rest gets split with the other ACC teams.

Our FB program is spending in the top 5, but we don’t get near as much as a conference as the SEC or BIG. They are getting maybe $20 million more per team each year. I hope we can sustain that and keep up the arms race. That’s all I’m saying.

Feb 6, 2020, 4:24 PM

Take a look at the article below and here is another one that is athletic department focused. Even does a good discussion of Clemson's revenue. One note that is always a topic in these discussions. IPTAY is separate from the AD and does not report all contributions as AD. You will notice of the two articles, one says IPTAY contributions peaked in 2016 at 54.2M another says that same year only 38M were reported as contributions to the AD. Also a quick search will show you we raised the bar again in 2018 with 64.9M in donations. I'm not saying we are banking Texas & A&M money each season (94M profit), but our reported $27M and IPTAY funds are doing very well. Keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/12/college-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/#56571569a2e7

null

no need to shout***

Feb 6, 2020, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: no need to shout***

Feb 6, 2020, 6:33 PM

THAT'S HIS NORMAL SPEECH. I think his Cap Lock key has a toothpick wedged in it, for years now. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay! Okay! That’s 65 times 80,000 times, what...did you say

Feb 6, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries... ]

6...no 7....ahhh...please stop yelling...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are we really making money going to the playoff?

Feb 6, 2020, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries... ]

I don't believe we are. ACC receives 6 million which has to be split 14 ways. I think the conferences are now reimbursing the playoff schools for travel expenses, but a few years back i remember seeing articles written about how we were actually losing money having to travel to the semis and title game.

Feb 6, 2020, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries... ]

Also - IPTAY fees are constantly increasing - and if you want good parking get ready to shell out ... this is made tougher by the parking places that disappear every year... And as long as we pay the ticket prices - they aren’t going down ... At least we have a lot to show for our money at TIger Town ... !! ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Ticket Sales and ACC distribution ??

Feb 7, 2020, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries... ]

Clemson Football Revenue 2017-18

Ticket Sales: $24,856,086

Bowl Revenues: $2,891,254

Contributions: $5,220,176

In-Kind Car Leases: $42,828

Institutional Support: $1,551,104

Program Sales, concessions, novelty sales, parking: $1,268,336

Royalties, advertisements and sponsorships: $750,000

Endowment and Investment: $20,103

Sport camps: $919,005

ACC Distribution: $16,346,384

TOTAL: $53,865,276

Re: I’m concerned about our FB coaching salaries...***

Feb 6, 2020, 2:31 PM

Feb 6, 2020, 2:38 PM

NICE RETORT

our coaches are generating a lot more revenue

Feb 6, 2020, 2:34 PM

Than they are getting paid. Dabo is a good value at his current level. We are one of the top programs in the country.

Feb 6, 2020, 2:39 PM

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2019/07/20/staying-power-clemson-football-revenue-million/1736799001/

null

Feb 6, 2020, 3:00 PM

I'm not concerned about Clemson, but I am when it comes to football salaries as a whole. We were lucky with the timing of our success in my opinion. I think that we are at a point that the rich are getting richer (we have the 6 top recruits in the ACC this year), but everybody is trying to keep up with salaries. Are we going to hit a point where 75 to 80% of the programs treat their football programs as a cash cow? I see many just fielding teams for the revenue, with no effort to compete because it has become too expensive.

Feb 6, 2020, 3:14 PM

The "Dabo effect" brings so much revenue to things that trickle down from the success of the football team. You can't calculate it, but it's there. Are salaries too high? One could argue yes but I say if the market justifies it, which it does, then pay the people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 4:20 PM

Agree. But again, it’s not how much they’re getting paid. It’s how many are getting paid so well. What I was trying to get across was that most programs have so much coaching turnover that they recycle the salaries. But Clemson is not having a high percentage of coaching turnover, so we don’t recoup as much.

For example, with Jeff and Brad leaving, it freed up $1.6 million. Some of that went to Tony Elliot, and some to Kyle Richardson. The rest is spread to other coaches raises. Plus the new guy is t going to make as much as Brad. But other programs do that every year because they have coaches leaving more frequently. At Clemson, that turnover is rare. So we are not recycling as much, and getting paid significantly less as a conference due to poor TV negotiations.

It seems like it might catch up to us, but I guess not. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Feb 6, 2020, 4:22 PM

Well we don't have 2 to pay like we did last year for one. For two BV signed an extension last year. For 3 I would gladly give a raise to our coaches every year until it stops working if it's possible, other coaches don't leave for lateral moves they leave for more money, to work under a different HC or an increased title which then they get more money anyways.

Feb 6, 2020, 4:34 PM

Before the national championship game I read an article complaining about much we paid Dabo. They stated that we had made an extra 23 million dollars off of apparel sales since the 2016 National championship win. I think it is sustainable but enjoy the moment just in case.

Just look around.

Feb 6, 2020, 4:54 PM

The impact Clemson football has had on ALL things Clemson is unprecedented. Dabo has developed a remarkable program that has changed everything. He knows how to chose and develop people- players and staff. IMHO, we don’t need to second guess ANYTHING Dabo does. Let him do what he does and be very thankful that we have him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

Re: Just look around.

Feb 6, 2020, 6:24 PM

They are doing exactly what every fan has dreamed of happening.

Pay them, and get out of the way!

Feb 6, 2020, 7:11 PM

Who cares? Not your problem. The program makes a lot of money.

Over 40+ years I know it's changed the fans.

Feb 6, 2020, 7:14 PM

Gone are the days a farmer could take a day off the farm, get off his tractor, and go see a Clemson game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Over 40+ years I know it's changed the fans.

Feb 6, 2020, 7:41 PM

Now you can watch at home for free with a perfect picture. It may be better.

Does Newspring Church help with this?

Feb 6, 2020, 7:54 PM

Or do they only pay the players? ??

Uninformed, misguided & sadly not alone..

Feb 6, 2020, 10:02 PM

Embecile, the program is a money making machine, is responsible for rising enrollment, some campus expansion & renewal, also funds, by mandate, programs that wouldn't exist w/o it(title IX's & the rest that end up in the red?never will be in the black? no incentive). Those salaries are a drop in the bucket compared to what the program nets. Increase investment in the cash cow or risk stagnation or worse. If you're worried about spending then cut the fat, the ungrateful parasites that wouldn't exist otherwise.

Re: Uninformed, misguided & sadly not alone..

Feb 6, 2020, 10:23 PM

Pffftt! The well informed know we are secretly financed by Arab oil money and Hollywood moguls wanting to get filmrights on Dabo's story.

Sorry about the embecile remark?***

Feb 7, 2020, 4:07 AM [ in reply to Uninformed, misguided & sadly not alone.. ]

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic