Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m waiting for some football “expert” to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I’m waiting for some football “expert” to

Nov 11, 2020, 10:13 AM

I have the guts to say that the Clemson Tigers should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame in the present polls. Of course the Irish did beat the Tigers but ......... ND outplayed our Tigers team that consisted of sixteen regular starters and six subs. The Irish QB had the a poorer QB rating than our sub QB. He had a poorer percentage, less yardage,only one TD. The Irish did have a much better run game. Both team had four field goals. All the experts say that ND outplayed our team with a depleted lineup in every way. If they were that dominant, at home, why did it take two overtimes for this powerful team to beat a weak Clemson team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the Clemson Tigers should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame in

Nov 11, 2020, 10:15 AM

the present polls.

YWAI

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: the Clemson Tigers should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame in

Nov 11, 2020, 10:17 AM

there you have it. The first "expert" domino

I can confirm he is an expert...

Nov 11, 2020, 10:19 AM

on being a coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

^^expert...^^

Nov 11, 2020, 10:25 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I can confirm he is an expert...

Nov 11, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to I can confirm he is an expert... ]

To whom do you speak of as a coot.???

Re: I’m waiting for some football “expert” to

Nov 11, 2020, 10:28 AM

Not an expert opinion by any means, but I suppose you could say that your team can't be ranked by what you might have been able to do if all injured players were available. There is no guarantee that players will recover from injuries or if so, when. So, your team is what you're able to put on the field in playing condition and shouldn't be graded through speculation as is done in pre-season.

If we have sufficient improvement due to either better play from what we had on the field against ND - or if we can bring back injured talent that has the result of improved performance, then I would expect our ranking to improve if the competition's performance either remains the same or declines.

Nov 11, 2020, 10:45 AM

I don’t think anyone would disagree with your comments. My thinking is the ND team who played the Tigers Saturday should have been better based on the team the Tigers put on the field. Quite honestly, ND should have been a lot better if they were number four prior to the game. The Tigers are not the number one team now but they can be if they can put the team back on the field that began the season.

Is there another team in college football who could survive their Heisman QB Missing games and remaining competitive as the Tigers have?

The turnover situation better improve! Quickly.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:14 AM

The tigers won't be ranked #1 again this season unless they win the CFP. Hopefully, TL will get his shot at the Heisman but he'll have to have a fantastic finish to the season. Not sure how they will handle the voting this season since some teams have played so few games.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m waiting for some football “expert” to ]

It's my opinion that we have several issues.

* As has been discussed, I don't know the basis for Dabo's pre-season comments about the O-line talent. I understand that we don't yet have functional O-line depth, but it doesn't seem to be a matter of what happens after subs come in - it's there from the get-go that we aren't moving the line of scrimmage, stacked box or not.

* Herbstreit's comments about our lack of Alphas on the D-line seems to be correct and is probably the reason that Venables is still relying on a 3-down front. We have depth at LB and he's trying to get his LB and back-end blitzes to penetrate gaps rather than get the push from the D-line.

* When we used a 4-down line front, we could push the pocket and let the LBs clean up in the gaps - but now with a 3-front, the LBs are trying to shoot the gaps and the extra O-Linemen are getting to the LBs which opens a running lane for the QB or the RB. Those LBs that do get into the pocket are over-running the QB, who then bolts out for a gain, with no other LBs to contain and/or stop him.

* WRs are not what we're accustomed to seeing. Cornell Powell and Amari Rodgers have been amazing, but injuries and lack of development in others has hurt deep ball performance. Also, there's been an issue with deep ball accuracy, some of which is due to lack of time before the QB pocket dissolves. The WRs also do not seem to have developed the knack of coming back on their route to the back-shoulder throws in order to make a catch with separation from the DB. So, instead of the 8-10yd out routes, we have to work the outside with tunnel screens and RB flare passes.

In short, we have work to do on both sides of the ball and are not as good as I thought we would be before the season started. I don't expect us to be better and better every year, because there will be ups and downs. They'll go back to work and make some improvement, I'm sure - just don't know how much is reasonable to expect. This is a crazy year.

That generally doesn't happen until the teams have equal

Nov 11, 2020, 11:42 AM

records. If ND were to lose to UNC or something, I'd bet those conversations pop up.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:54 AM

The experts are already saying Clemson will be favored in the ACC championship game and ND better hope things fall their way to get in the playoffs if they lose.

Book had a great game.

It will be interesting to see if he can maintain and repeat that.

He did things in our game he's never done before and it's not clear if it was progress or a horseshoe stuck up his ###.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 3:12 PM

I wonder how well the Irish would have fared in this game if their QB was forced to watch from the sidelines? I bet they would not be number two today!

Nov 11, 2020, 5:16 PM

In my opinion, we didn't lose because DJU did not play as well as TL would have played. He played well enough that if the other issues we have didn't hurt us, we would have won easily (and we might have lost with TL playing, given the magnitude of the other issues)..... but - those issues exist and must be addressed if we're going to make the championship playoffs.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic