Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking

Sep 28, 2020, 12:49 PM

Let someone make fun of the way “certain” coaches speak and let’s see what happens. Outcry would be enormous. But since it’s Coach O it’s fine. Terrible !

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you mean black coaches?

Sep 28, 2020, 12:50 PM

Just say it, #####.

He probably means Lou Holtz.***

Sep 28, 2020, 12:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

no I think he is white

Sep 28, 2020, 2:34 PM

which makes him racist. He can't help it though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking

Sep 28, 2020, 1:14 PM

I long for the time when we could make fun of everyone and they would make fun of us. (sigh) Love Coach O and his accent is who he is. I am glad that I was born the proper type of Tiger and that my coach is Dabo though.

the Democrats labeled that behavior a hate crime***

Sep 28, 2020, 2:30 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the Democrats labeled that behavior a hate crime***

Sep 28, 2020, 4:44 PM

I think the commies started it somehow to create deeper division to our country and a certain party took it up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2020, 1:46 PM

Let someone make fun of the way “certain” coaches speak and let’s see what happens. Outcry would be enormous. But since it’s Coach O it’s fine. Terrible !

Do you not really understand why this is? Are you going to pretend that its the same thing? To give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't understand here's why its different.

Making fun of Coach Orgeron the implication is that he's the loveable Creole coach that is so intune with the community and the area he represents. He's so Cajun that he's perfect for a job like LSU, lets lean into and laugh in celebration.

When black coaches get made fun of about how they might speak its often because the implication is that they are somehow less intelligent and not fit to be a leader of men because of how they speak. Its why describing a black man as "articulate" is not appropriate even though white people mean well when they say it. White people are never described as "articulate".

Please stop fanning the flames and looking for reasons to cry about a double standard without understanding why a one might exist. Then you won't have to "wonder why that is".

Sep 28, 2020, 2:27 PM

I believe you can find on You Tube, Joe Biden referring to Obama as a very Articulate Black man/speaker! Just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe's on their team, they dgaf what he says***

Sep 28, 2020, 2:29 PM

How do you know what everyone gaf about?***

Sep 28, 2020, 3:07 PM

You see any Progressives trying to cancel Joe for saying

Sep 28, 2020, 4:39 PM

Obama was articulate?

I don't remember that ever happening.

Sep 28, 2020, 10:15 PM

But there's, like, an article from the uber-liberal CNN from 2007 when this supposedly happened with the headline "Biden's description of Obama draws scrutiny": https://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/

Then there's this whole deal where Joe apologizes for those types of racially insensitive statements: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16911044/ns/nbc_nightly_news_with_brian_williams/t/sen-biden-apologizes-remarks-obama/

Seems the issue was addressed at least with the standards of the times. I mean, in 2007 people still used the n-word and thought Ronald Reagan was good for the country.

Anyway, acting outraged over a lack of attention over relatively innocuous events from almost 15 years ago when those events ACTUALLY DID GET ATTENTION is either ignorant or intentionally disingenuous.

Maybe...um...if the ability to 'cancel' people through social media was even a thing in 2007, you might have a point. But you don't.

Re: I don't remember that ever happening.

Sep 29, 2020, 12:47 AM

Hey stubborn tiger u can rest assured that Reagan was better for the country than Obombhole. If you don’t agree just ask his Pakistani lover! You will not be addressing a woman.

Obama was articulate for a

Sep 28, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

Havad Grad

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

total bullshiiiiiiiiiiiit...There are plenty of people who

Sep 28, 2020, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

make fun of of Coach O for the way he talks that do it from a place of derision...I'm SURE the other SEC fans are laughing at him because he is a lovable member of the community and not because he sounds like a ####...Nice try, I will give you points for the effort, even if it is total bs...Let's lean into and laugh in celebration at another intune member of a community and see how many virtue signalers try to embrace it

all animals are equal but some animals are more

Sep 28, 2020, 2:32 PM

equal than others

Sep 28, 2020, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

Ahhh yes- that Cajun accent is basically synonymous with Rhode Scholars. Good point.

That was an articulate, well-reasoned & presented post . . .

Sep 28, 2020, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

Other than it being WRONG.

I would guess most other fan bases are doing nothing BUT making fun of him as less intelligent & lacking in some way because of his accent & demeanor.

People say other people are articulate ALL THE TIME . . . . he's a well-spoken young man, etc, etc . . .

People use to say it to me (I'm hopelessly white).

Only if someone is LOOKING to be offended is that offensive.

GOOD G R I E F ! ! !

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: That was an articulate, well-reasoned & presented post . . .

Sep 29, 2020, 8:19 AM

I agree that people of all races are told that they're articulate. I've been told several times that I don't have a southern accent.

The key difference here is I can't tell you how many times I've either heard or read someone say something along the lines of 'that guy sure does speak well for a black guy.' I don't like to say that everyone has heard the same, but most people here have heard someone say that at some point.

I highly doubt you've ever been told that you speak well for a white person.

Sep 28, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

Jeez if you haven’t figured out by now this OP is a coot that posts on Tnet trying to make Clemson fans look racist then I can’t help you. Just ignore the leech.

Okay, then using your logic, why is it deemed acceptable

Sep 28, 2020, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

to make fun of the way a white southerner with a thick accent speaks? Doing so carries with it the implication that white southerners are dumb and uneducated.

That's right, it's okay because we're talking about white people, not black people.

You'd never see Eddie Murphy doing his Buckwheat character on SNL now, because black.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 28, 2020, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

Last I checked, Marco Rubio is white(Cuban). I heard him described as very articulate. Same with Mayor Pete. Heard the same about Bob Costas. William F Buckley- yep. That’s just a few. Being articulate is simply an adjective. It is most certainly applied to all races. To call a black person articulate is a compliment same as white. Alan Keyes, was another articulate black man. Martin Luther King was very articulate. That is not a slur. I can’t say the same applies to describing a black man as clean, as Biden described Obama. Be slow to offend. Be slower yet to be offended.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's try your statement this way just for fun...

Sep 29, 2020, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

..."Making fun of Coach X the implication is that he's the loveable Black coach that is so intune with the community and the area he represents. He's so Black that he's perfect for a job like any HBCU, lets lean into and laugh in celebration."

Would that be okay with you? Of course not. So why are you okay with Orgeron being belitted since you are so woke? Can't have it both ways my friend. All voices, even Cajun ones, matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Let's try your statement this way just for fun...

Sep 29, 2020, 8:35 AM

Orgeron isn't being belittled. And he isn't being made fun of for his accent. There are thousands of black people in Orgeron's part of the world who speak with Coach O.'s accent. He's being teased for his extraordinarily gruff speaking voice, in the same way that Frank Howard was teased for his gruff speaking voice.

Well, I’m Caucasian and I’m kind of offended

Sep 29, 2020, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Media double standard of making fun of Coach O speaking ]

that no one ever calls me articulate!

But now I’m so confused I don’t even know who to be mad at!!!! ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happen to love Coach O's accent

Sep 28, 2020, 1:47 PM

He seems like he would be fun to have a drink with.

Re: Happen to love Coach O's accent

Sep 28, 2020, 2:35 PM

I wonder if being drunk, unslurs his speech.

Re: Happen to love Coach O's accent

Sep 28, 2020, 2:53 PM

OMG that hit me in the funny bone !! LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TennesseeGentlemanTiger would not approve.***

Sep 28, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Happen to love Coach O's accent ]

Lol....

Sep 28, 2020, 2:39 PM

I'll let him know he has a new nickname.

Sep 28, 2020, 3:09 PM

You're absolutely correct meaning I won't post this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6zslvLklyI

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess Frank Caliendo will have to find a new job.

Sep 28, 2020, 4:25 PM

nm

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you try to talk like trump? Terrible!

Sep 29, 2020, 6:53 AM

Pick someone smart to emulate. Someone who has read a book, for example. There are smart folks on both sides to choose from.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:13 AM

Randy Moss comes to mind as someone with a unique accent that I’ve seen people on ESPN imitate. There’s a difference in having fun with someone’s accent and poking fun at the way someone says things. Everyone here has heard someone make fun of someone for saying ‘is you’ or something similar.

Most, if not everyone on here has also heard someone say something similar to ‘learn how to speak English’ after a black athlete speaks.

Rivals will always find a reason to poke fun at something, but nobody actually thinks Coach O is unintelligent. That isn’t the case with most things people say about the way the black athletes being referenced talk.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic