Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone have a serious objective take on OhioSt?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Anyone have a serious objective take on OhioSt?

Dec 21, 2020, 5:36 PM

Obviously we all want to destroy them by a million. However, I always try to be objective and take off my orange colored glasses. Anyone follow CFB enough to give an honest assessment of their team this year? Especially compared to last year? I've only watched their game against NW and they played like hot garbage but had some out due to Covid. We played like trash when we had some out as well. Seeing as how they've only played 6 games (not sure if that has been mentioned today ) don't really have a lot to go off of. Anyone have an objective pulse on their team and how we match up?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone have a serious objective take on OhioSt?

Dec 21, 2020, 5:37 PM

They suck

Dec 21, 2020, 5:38 PM

Sorry, I read it too fast and thought you said seriously subjective

Dec 21, 2020, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a serious objective take on OhioSt? ]

Clearly if they were any good their fans would stay in Ohio near them and not all move to SC

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a serious objective take on OhioSt? ]

Well put

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're terrible and have a QB who can't hit the

Dec 21, 2020, 5:38 PM

backside of a barn.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: They're terrible and have a QB who can't hit the

Dec 21, 2020, 5:57 PM

he was good Sat at hitting the other teams guys

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 5:41 PM

quozzel ?

null

Dec 21, 2020, 10:49 PM

Short version: OSU is not as good as last year, and they know it.

Really good O-line.

Really good front seven on D, though their LB's can be gotten to around the edges because they're big but not overly fast and can in no way run with Etienne in coverage.

Really, really, really suspect secondary. Even Wade has really struggled this year for whatever reason.

Fields has been hot-and-cold, and some flaws have been exposed of late. He throws a really nice ball, when he can make a simple read and shoot. He can't read a defense and holds the ball and doesn't use his wheels like he should; expect him to tuck and run a lot faster in this one because it's been a problem for him. He takes a lot of sacks for as mobile as he is. He does not handle pressure well and can throw pick and make weird decisions in bunches.

Not a great bunch of wideouts, except Olave, who was out against Northwestern. Don't know if he's back for the playoff game though the B1G changing the rules for OSU again may get him eligible.

Not as good a bunch of running backs as last year though Sermon did have just an unholy game against Northwestern.

Fields is going to have to play a lot better than he has been for OSU to have a chance. Trevor's going to likely have a field day against that OSU secondary. I know the OSU insiders are really worried about that matchup.

Dec 22, 2020, 8:53 AM

Their OLine has potential but hasn’t played as well as last year. Miller is a holding machine- if the refs call it. But he is SOOO blatant at it they almost have too. Wyatt Davis, Mr. All-world, has been giving up pressure more this year than his first round billing would suggest.

These guys work well against the lumbering DLines of the Big 10. They are about to get REALLY tested.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 5:46 PM

An unstable QB.

objectively

Dec 21, 2020, 5:50 PM

we pound them like usual

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: objectively

Dec 21, 2020, 5:56 PM

1. Good Oline overall
2. Serman is solid but not as dynamic as NW game would have you believe. Teague is trash.
3. WRs if healthy are their strength by far with Olave , Wilson and JSN
4. D is mediocre at every level for a Top 4 team
5. Coach looks like an ####### 99% of the time

Dec 21, 2020, 5:54 PM

Their D is not as good as last year. Their O is good when they have all their WRs in the lineup. Fields is a great prospect, but he doesn’t see the field well and is hesitant to pull the trigger from what I’ve seen Ytd. That will be a problem against Dr. Venables.

Make fields throw and we’ll be good

Dec 21, 2020, 5:56 PM

Something is either up with fields or day is an awful coach. If they throw as much as they have the rest of the season it’ll get ugly for them fast.

If their rb’s and fields legs are both working, it’ll be closer.

Amari, Ej, Powell, and Travis should have a field day with their secondary.

Objectively: They are the coots of the mid west.***

Dec 21, 2020, 5:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Objective...Yes...

Dec 21, 2020, 6:08 PM

OsuckO will be a bug on the Tigers windshield .

Dec 21, 2020, 6:08 PM

Their D is not as good as last year. Their O is good when they have all their WRs in the lineup. Fields is a great prospect, but he doesn’t see the field well and is hesitant to pull the trigger from what I’ve seen Ytd. That will be a problem against Dr. Venables.

Fields saw this this fine

Dec 21, 2020, 6:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 6:25 PM

I think we have recruited a lot of the same players so the talent level is there. I believe Day is less conservative than Urban who would lean heavily on the QB run and draw on crucial downs in big games. If we contain Fields a la Book we hold them under 20, assuming our guys tackle tackle Sermon and Teague fundamentally soundly. We should score 28 or more on them depending on turnovers and field goals and just general field position. I would love for us to have everybody healthy except for those we know won’t go (Ross, Ngata, Foster). I think we haven’t peaked yet and I don’t think they are the kind of team that could stop us from reaching our peak.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:29 PM

Do we actually know Ngata is out?

Dec 21, 2020, 9:15 PM

Nope. I hope to see him for a few plays if we make the ship. Dabo keeps it on the down low with the best of them and well he should. It’s nobody’s business.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:26 PM

I haven't watched them all that much but I've been on 11 worriers and you can tell that they know they have problems.

They are not as good as last year. Neither are we but we are really starting to round into championship shape. I don't think the same can be said of them.

On Offense, Fields has trouble under pressure which he is sure to see lots of. It seems to me that our D-plan should be a lot like ND - stop the run and control the QB scrambles. They have good WRs but I don't think Fields will be able to find them often enough.

Their D-line is good, but I think we can get the ball to ETN in space like we did against ND. The QB runs should work like they did in ACC Championship - but I think OSU will pay extra attention to them after last year. I noticed the last few games that we are using more TL run fakes - to short passes - to ETN & to the TE. So OSU is ###### if they do and ###### if they don't.

Finally, their secondary is erratic. Wade is pretty solid, but they give up the long ball too often and blow coverages. TL and the WRs should have a good game. And that should open things up for ETN later.

I am resisting calling for a blowout. OSU will play very physically. They are talented, rested and motivated. It will be close for a while, but eventually we will extend our lead - 2 TDs.

Go Tigers !!

Dec 21, 2020, 6:54 PM

This is a solid critique. Most OSU fans actually don't think the 6 games helped them because they never got a chance to get a rhythm for the team.

Day is too insistent on passing and fields can't create. If he can sit in the pocket and hit his primary receiver he's very accurate. Otherwise not so much.

Online is strong but running backs are so so. NW didn't put enough hats in the box until it was too late. WRs are strong when everyone can play. That's tbd.

Defense is definitely worse especially the secondary. Dline is solid but not as dynamic without Young. Linebackers are good but TLaw should be able to pick apart the secondary opening up the run game.

OSU does have the talent. But this year the big ten has been a train wreck and Day hasn't adapted well to keep the team moving forward and have a sense of unity.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:35 PM

I'm not good enough at football to grade a team objectively, so I watch Dabo.

When we drew OSU in 2016, Dabo was on TV within a day saying "I've watched all their games ... and they're in trouble". 2 weeks later - 31-0.

His outspokenness this time is not as specific, but he is exuding unusual confidence, even for Dabo.

Dec 21, 2020, 6:54 PM

And they had only half as many games to review this time. Probably took less than a day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 21, 2020, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a serious objective take on OhioSt? ]

The last time I checked the “experts” have them listed as the number three team in the nation, one spot behind our Tigers so, for that reason, I suspect that they are a formidable opponent in the eyes of those who make decisions like this. Fortunately our team has a tremendous advantage ...... and it is a guy named Dabo Venebles.

Hopefully the fighting Tigers will be a tad better than The mighty Indiana eleven.

For now, let’s stay safe and healthy. That should be your biggest concern. Not the fighting Soapberries, (that is the family that buckeye is in... botanically). Brings fear to your heart doesn’t it.

Dec 21, 2020, 7:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Dec 21, 2020, 8:34 PM

2020 osu is worse across the board compared to 2019 osu.

On offense the wrs are the strength of their team but they still took a step back. Olave and wilson are dangerous but they're small. 2019 had kj hill and victor who was a very good run blocker. Their biggest loss on offense was Jk dobbins. That dude was a nightmare matchup for our backers. Sermon and Teague are fine backs but they dont scare anyone.

On defense they lost a ton of talent and it shows. This is where I think only playing 6 games has hurt them. The new guys are talented but they're young. Their pass rush is not close to what it was last year and that's likely going to be the difference this time around.

For what it's worth my take on the good guys is that the 2020 Clemson offense is a little worse than 2019 mainly due to the young oline though they're coming together as of late. ETN adding pass catching to his repertoire will scare every defense in the country. And I miss having two 6'4" first round picks at wr. 2020 Clemson defense (when healthy) is a better unit overall than 2019. Isaiah simmons masked a lot of holes last year.

I'm not the biggest fan of Fields game but if he and olave get hot enough to open up their run game it'll be close. With that being said I've never bet against Tlaw and I'm certainly not going to start now.

Dec 21, 2020, 9:26 PM

The Ohio State Bearcats only beat Tulsa by a touchdown. They shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Justin Fields is having his Sophmore Slump in his JR year.

Dec 21, 2020, 10:05 PM

But remember it's only his second year as a starter. And his first year was a mediocre joke brought to you by Kirby "not so" Smart. He does not look confident nor comfortable.
Ohio St defense is nothing like last year. I'm serious when I say ND, and BC defenses are tougher than those guys.
Stop the run and make Fields beat you through the air. Much the same way ND played us the first time.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:23 PM

To be objective, this is a very good team with very good talent. They were better last year, but our Tigers were better last year too due to more experienced players.

They are hard to read because they have played many games without allot of players and played so few games. They have not been able to establish a rhythm do to the missing players. This will be a game much like last year and we better be ready to match the intensity from the 1st snap this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have a lot of talent. They lost a lot from last year

Dec 21, 2020, 11:35 PM

It all boils down to not being “battle tested”. Remember that one?

They said we weren’t battle tested and won last year. I don’t think they are as good on offense or defense as they were last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 9:03 AM

The defensive game plan against Fields will be the same game plan as against Book last Saturday. Mush rush, don't let him step up into the pocket or escape up the middle, make him escape the pocket out the back.

Dec 22, 2020, 12:22 PM

Nothing to worry about. We have the refs on our side so we can’t lose. Any smart buckeye fan will tell you that

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic