Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offensive Line troubles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Offensive Line troubles

Nov 5, 2020, 5:02 PM

Where do you think the main problem lies? Is it coaching, talent, or both? It's certainly not a terrible unit,but it's definitely been one of Dabo's weaker ones. Over the past few years I've noticed that we really struggle with run blocking when we play teams with tougher fronts such as ND in the Cotton Bowl and Alabama. The talent is getting better at that position but we still seem to struggle at either run or pass blocking. I think the pass blocking has been decent but we just can't create holes for our running game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offensive Line troubles

Nov 5, 2020, 5:36 PM

There is no line problem. There is an overage of Monday morning Coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 6:01 PM

If there is no OL problem do you have an explanation as to why Etienne is averaging 2 yards less per carry and Lyn-J Dixon is averaging 3 yards less per carry?

Nov 5, 2020, 6:40 PM

Could be opposing teams have really crowded the box, choosing to pick the poison of the pass. *see ETs receiving numbers (lots of that coming when a LB has to pick him up)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 7:38 PM

Yeah because that’s an entirely new scheme teams have run against Clemson.

Teams have been stacking the box against Clemson for years now. The reason we can’t run the ball is because the o lines gets pushed back. Just watch them. It’s very easy to see. They are doing a good job pass blocking, but are getting man handled in the run game.

Nov 6, 2020, 4:05 PM

Selling out to stop the run and hoping Trevor Lawrence (or DJ) has a bad game is a tactic that has worked exactly zero times in the last two and one-half years.*

It won't work Saturday either.

*ETN was running the ball really well against LSU until Clemson for some reason stopped rushing the ball in the third quarter.

8 men in the box?***

Nov 6, 2020, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Offensive Line troubles ]

They put 10 men in the box when KB was QB and we STILL

Nov 6, 2020, 3:57 PM

ran it better than we do now

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who have we blown off the ball this year? If you can't see

Nov 6, 2020, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Offensive Line troubles ]

it, it's clearly a you issue

Nov 5, 2020, 5:39 PM

I would say OL is deficient if we were giving up sacks or a bunch of quarterback pressures . I just don’t see it being a problem like some other people on here do .

We have a guy who just broke the all time ACC rushing record and did it with an awesome yds. per carry . I think we have and have had a great OL for 7 or 8 years .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 5:46 PM

IMO if anything they are a little on the light side. I think that's why they don't run block as well as they pass block. We also aren't quite as good at goal line push. Our depth is almost all Freshmen also so as a unit they are young. Our TE's are also on the lighter end so they don't pitch in as much on the power front. Jackson has had a lot of holding calls for some reason but besides that they've performed pretty well. Don't expect them to dominate against a team stacking the box.

Overall they are pretty good though. Much better than 5+ years ago. Hell we used to recruit a bunch of 250# OL and HOPE they grew big enough to play. I think by the end of the year they will be a pretty deep group.

Nov 5, 2020, 5:49 PM

Guess you missed the fact we have four new starters this year

Nov 5, 2020, 6:14 PM

lol . I bet he gets it now .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 6:41 PM

A great point worth mentioning thrice.

Nov 5, 2020, 6:52 PM

Not a coach at all, and certainly not trying to be a Monday morning QB. That being said, on short yardage situations, could or would it not be a good Idea to bring in a "Heavy Group", when we need less than 2 yards for a first down or TD. Now, I know that this is D-! college football, and not a 1-A high school team, HOWEVER, with huge, strong D Linemen, that are used to pushing the linemen into the backfield, perhaps we need to use this tactic often. It shouldn't take very much energy from these D-lineman simply for one play. Just a thought from a simple fan.

^^^ Yes ^^^

Nov 6, 2020, 2:40 PM

Nov 5, 2020, 6:08 PM

Where do you think the main problem lies? Is it coaching, talent, or both? It's certainly not a terrible unit,but it's definitely been one of Dabo's weaker ones. Over the past few years I've noticed that we really struggle with run blocking when we play teams with tougher fronts such as ND in the Cotton Bowl and Alabama. The talent is getting better at that position but we still seem to struggle at either run or pass blocking. I think the pass blocking has been decent but we just can't create holes for our running game.

When everybody is stacking the box and daring you to beat them with the passing game - you will not likely have a good running game. Now, with that said, yes some teams can run against loaded boxes. In our day(Ford Days) we did it well. But, in today's game, why force it other than to keep the threat of it alive. I will go so far as to say - we could be doing better even against loaded boxes. But, we are 10th in offense. Something like 20 yards back of Alabama who people have proclaimed the greatest offense ever(not really the Tua offense was literally called that though).
10th ranked offense at over 500 yards a game - hard to do a whole bunch of criticizing! Because we are taking what the defense gives us. Only running it to make sure the defense is aware we still have Travis Etienne and aren't afraid to use him(even against loaded boxes). It keeps the safeties where we want them and the passing game gets a better opportunity to make plays.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

typical of today's TNET fan

Nov 5, 2020, 6:57 PM

"Why aren't we running and passing for a 1,000 yards each game, somebody should be fired!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

We couldn't line up and get 10 yards to close out the game

Nov 6, 2020, 3:58 PM

Saturday, that's a problem

Nov 5, 2020, 7:02 PM

I think we need to give teams more reasons not to crowd the line. Spreading Etienne into the flats has helped tremendously. Receivers, like Powell did last week, need to step up and help and shoulder some burden. Our Oline is fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2020, 7:13 PM

No team has the time to be good at everything because practice time is limited. Clemson has put so many eggs in the passing basket that the run production has suffered. The idea that the blocking is good because there are few sacks does not fly because if the practice time is spent on passing, clearly the line is prepared to pass block.

Nov 5, 2020, 7:28 PM

Unfortunately most of our run production comes off the read option. With Trevor not running much,probably to keep the wear and tear off him off him to avoid injury, were just not that type of OL like Wisconsin where we can just line up and pound down the defenses throats.As we get further into the season, Trevor will have to help more with his legs to help ETN be more effective.

Nov 5, 2020, 7:18 PM

Pass blocking has been very good this year. There is some validity however to the reduction in productivity of the run game compared to the past 2 years. Putting 7 in the box is not new this year. Teams have been doing that to us since 2015. When I’ve rewatched games it appears Stewart, Putnam and Bockhorst are getting pushed back. Putnam is a new starter but Brockhurst has played a lot and I thought he looked great last year before he got hurt. He disappoint me the most. More concerning to me however is Stewart’s snaps. It seems he has 2 or 3 bad ones per game. It makes me have nightmares of the 2014 FSU game.

Nov 5, 2020, 7:31 PM

Saw a comment during the BC game that Jackson Carman wasn't blocking anybody. Then I see he is the conference OL of the week (co award actually). So maybe it's all in the point of view.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic