Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter?

Jan 13, 2021, 7:20 PM

Was the sugar bowl his job interview? I know street has some small time experience with OC at places but did he show enough to solidify the gig or would Dabo look at the market for a big time name OC? Maybe call the Chad back?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please dont bring Chad back***

Jan 13, 2021, 7:26 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. That is one Chad that needs to be left hanging.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:54 AM

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter?

Jan 13, 2021, 7:31 PM

Please no The Chad back!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the Ohio State game was Streeter’s job interview, it went pretty badly.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:32 PM

We obviously don’t know how much prep time Streeter got, what role he played in the game plan, or how much of a say he had in calling plays.

I had assumed that Streeter was being groomed for the position, but based on the game he wasn’t ready.

Absolutely not to Morris coming back. No thank you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: If the Ohio State game was Streeter’s job interview, it went pretty badly.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:48 PM

I’m not saying if he’s ready or not- but how can you say he’s not ready based on the sugar bowl. What I saw in the sugar bowl was a QB that had 0.5 seconds to get rid of the ball before he would have been sacked.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 7:58 PM

When the defense has 100% confidence that they know what you're going to do, and they are right, that is the end result.

Jan 13, 2021, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: If the Ohio State game was Streeter’s job interview, it went pretty badly. ]

Mobilize the QB on roll outs? Adjust for more time/protection idk

I would like to have seen more QB rollouts, given the pass

Jan 14, 2021, 11:54 AM

rush that the Nut Necklaces were getting. But, since they would already have been in his backfield, Trevor would have had to avoid at least one guy to make a play, even on a rollout.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The OC’s job is to work with what he has and make adjustments

Jan 13, 2021, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: If the Ohio State game was Streeter’s job interview, it went pretty badly. ]

in order to take advantage of his team’s strengths while exploiting the other team’s weaknesses.

Do you think he did that?

Streeter, and ultimately Dabo, were the main ones responsible for the offense’s production against OSU. I find both of their performances to be completely unacceptable based on the fact that we had a QB who is one of the best ever in college football, as well as a running back that set all kinds of school and conference records. We should’ve put up more than 20-something points.

If the OL is that bad, why didn’t our coaches do better all year to coach them up? Why didn’t they call plays to better work around the line’s supposed deficiencies? We had an outstanding year passing. Why couldn’t we have done more of that against OSU?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The OC’s job is to work with what he has and make adjustments

Jan 13, 2021, 9:55 PM

good questions.right now,no good answers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 13, 2021, 10:08 PM [ in reply to The OC’s job is to work with what he has and make adjustments ]

Wow, I don’t have a dog in this particular fight, but how could you have been so supportive of Clemson basketball all of these years, yet find so many holes in the football program?

Again, not a slight toward you, just an observation.

I’m not looking for holes in the football program.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:33 PM

Any holes have been on full display each of the last two years in the playoffs.

I thought it was pretty obvious that our football team was not up to the task against LSU last year or Ohio State this year. In both games, our offense was unable to move the ball or score points with any consistency, despite having Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, and being “WRU.” Our defense couldn’t keep the other team under 40 points. Those aren’t good trends if our goal is to win national championships.

The sky isn’t falling, and we don’t need major changes. We might not need any changes. The fix might simply be getting some players healthy, developing some others, and our coaching staff making some slight tweaks.

But asking questions about what happened in those games is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. This attitude by some here that our coaches can do no wrong, and that by questioning them we don’t appreciate them or the amazing run we are on, isn’t healthy.

It’s possible to realize how great we have it, among the nation’s elite football program, and being grateful for our success as well as the coaches who contributed to that, while also recognizing areas that need improvement and discussing possible solutions.

You brought up basketball, which is hilarious because the two aren’t really comparable at Clemson. Expectations for basketball aren’t nearly as high, nor should they be at this point.

By all accounts, we have the nicest football facilities in the nation, and I believe the highest paid football coaching staff in the nation. We also have an amazing football fan base, among the best in the country. That, plus a history of being a winning football program, creates high expectations.

How do the investments in our basketball program, now as well as historically, rank nationally? Heck, how do they even rank compared to the rest of the ACC? How about our fan support for basketball? (hint: the answer each of these is “nowhere close to what it is for football.”)

That’s not to say that we shouldn’t have high expectations for Clemson basketball. We should, but it should be relative to what our athletic department and fans put into it. I’m really proud of all of the obstacles our basketball program has overcome this past decade, and excited about where we are headed.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:19 PM [ in reply to The OC’s job is to work with what he has and make adjustments ]

Fair post. Did Streeter take advantage of team's strengths? Early in the game yes. All pre-planned plays went outside on run & pass ... away from OL averageness against a solid Bucknut DL. And then game plan shifted back to inside predictable plays where Defense ate our lunch.

Why didn't coaches do better job all year with OL? Most games are against ACC JV squads. The Clemson coaches hoped the OL would step up to a much better level of competition. Coaches overestimated OL ability and underestimated Buckeye ability. Again, the game plan started out solid then fell apart.
Did Dabo call early scripted plays and then Streeter took over? The other way around? We will likely never know.

Why didn't we do more against Ohio State? (see para 1. ACC schools play JV football soft as powderpuff football. ACC went 0-6 in bowls. Bama, Ohio State and a just handful of schools are varsity. No such thing as iron vs iron in ACC.

I think he deserves another year...

Jan 14, 2021, 10:22 AM [ in reply to The OC’s job is to work with what he has and make adjustments ]

That’s one of the biggest issues with sports today, people just don’t have patience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

In basketball it takes at least 10 years to properly

Jan 14, 2021, 10:54 AM

evaluate a coach's ability to be successful, but in football you're apparently evaluated in one game where you have less than a week to prepare for the role in the middle of a global pandemic against the most complete defensive line you've faced all year. Added to that, your team's defense can't stop the other team and get off the field without giving up 7 points first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You obviously have low standards for our football program.***

Jan 14, 2021, 4:23 PM

Jan 14, 2021, 1:50 PM [ in reply to The OC’s job is to work with what he has and make adjustments ]

I don't care if you have the greatest QB that has ever touched a FB, be it made from plastic, rubber, pleather, or leather, if you Can't scheme your O Line to protect that Greatest Ever QB for at least 3 to 5 seconds, in a one hour game, his production is going to resemble that of just an average college QB. And that's a fact ladies, and gentlemen, and it's proven every season going against tough competition with a QB that fans thought was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but with the absence of a better than average O Line, that slice bread is full of holes!!!

Jan 13, 2021, 8:24 PM [ in reply to If the Ohio State game was Streeter’s job interview, it went pretty badly. ]

And I quote "based on the game he wasn't ready".
Based on the game I watched, neither was Brent Venables!
Care to comment on how bad that went!

I thought the game plan on both sides was pathetic.

Jan 13, 2021, 8:35 PM

But I’m not sure what Venables has to do with Streeter as our OC though. Venables has proven himself as a top DC over the years. Streeter has only had one game.

That’s all we have to go on for him as OC. And as I stated, we don’t know how much time he had to prep or how much input he even had.

For what it’s worth, he didn’t do worse than Elliott did last year against Ohio State.

Re: I thought the game plan on both sides was pathetic.

Jan 14, 2021, 6:36 AM

Venables has a lot to do with it because our last two playoff games he certainly missed something.

Re: I thought the game plan on both sides was pathetic.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:01 AM

"pathetic" and "last two playoffs" should never be in the same sentence. go away

BV is why we are in the playoffs each year, why we won two NCs.

Even the best pitchers don't pitch perfect games every game but dang BV is about as near perfect as you can get. It has taken "perfect" QB play to beat him.

^^^100% this

Jan 14, 2021, 11:22 AM

The mere fact that he lost his entire DL to the NFL after the 2018 season, switched to having primarily 3 down on the line and had a top defense in 2019 speaks to his abilities. Not to mention his red zone defense against OSU in the semi-final last year that kept us in it to beat OSU with a Buckeyes offense that was absolutely loaded...BV did a masterful job. Nobody could stop that LSU offense last year. Look at what those guys did this year in the NFL as rookies and you can see why.

We had a young defense this year that had significant ups and downs. The ACC Championship game was brilliant, but OSU was on a different level against us.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 14, 2021, 7:02 AM [ in reply to If the Ohio State game was Streeter’s job interview, it went pretty badly. ]

Dabo interfered to much!

Do we have any evidence of that?

Jan 14, 2021, 4:25 PM

I've heard all options mentioned, ranging from Streeter calling all the plays to Dabo calling all the plays to everything in between.

I don't think we know the truth, and probably never will.

Jan 13, 2021, 7:33 PM

Bring Chad back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 8:05 PM

Only a U of SC fan would want Chad back.

Jan 13, 2021, 9:22 PM

Didn’t you love that INT Sammy threw to Tajh in that game against UofSofC, after we just marched effortlessly down the field?

That was something.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 13, 2021, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter? ]

I hear you. But no Chad then no DW4. No DW4 and Clemson has 1 natl championship since 1981.

Jan 13, 2021, 8:10 PM

This will get hate. Thumbs down. Coot comments etc. but I’d take chad back in a minute over the play calling I saw this year. Just my opinion

Jan 13, 2021, 8:37 PM

I saw Chad stop with running the ball when were running over the coots in the running, and went to the pass that got us beat!!!

Jan 13, 2021, 8:43 PM

Hot Rod was running it down their throats but all of a sudden Sammy was throwing a pass if I remember correctly. Didn’t work out very well.

Hot Rod had one carry on that drive***

Jan 14, 2021, 10:54 AM

Jan 13, 2021, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter? ]

We have progressed beyond Chad. Rarely do you want a guy to return after leaving. If a position on field opened that Marion Hobby could take - I would run to help his family unload and move in! He was a special coach, recruiter and his kids knew he loved them. I’m not advocating for any of our coaches to scoot - we have very good staff. Just if .....

Every DC in the country has figured out Chad's system,

Jan 13, 2021, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter? ]

and he never showed a willingness or ability to change after it got figured out. Also, zero accommodations for his offense's various strengths or weaknesses....it was what it was.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter? ]

Did you watch Chad call plays this season?

Talk about something to shield your eyes from!

Chad Morris was/is in love with trick plays. His last year

Jan 14, 2021, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter? ]

at Clemson was awful, as by that time he had ran so many of the same trick plays they were usually being stopped by our opponents with no gain, or were a turnover. He couldn't help himself with the trick plays.

The trick play someone mentioned above at the 2013 game with SCAR is a prime example. We are moving the ball like a hot knife through butter and as we approach the SCAR end zone, then Morris asks Sammy to throw a pass, that was intercepted.

Did Morris learn anything? No, in the bowl game (the next game after SCAR) against Ohio State Morris called the exact same play and we were lucky the interception was dropped and we still won the game.

My wife is an Auburn grad and they were not happy with Chad Morris this past season. Again, too many trick plays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 8:29 PM

We don’t need Chad back to run our QB up the middle every other play till he’s dead.

Jan 13, 2021, 8:40 PM

Chat got to where he didn't have time for game planning bc, he was interview planning for a HC job!!!

Yeah. Chad, and then the coots will start beating us***

Jan 13, 2021, 8:30 PM

Jan 13, 2021, 8:54 PM

IMO our offense should have made some adjustments earlier in the season. With Ngata and Ladson down, we should have had more 12 (first # is RB & second # is TE) sets along with more 21 & even 22 personnel sets. Get your best players on the field and dictate to the defense. Too often we let the defense dictate to us. I am not sure Streeter had enough leash the make McHugh difference in the Sugar Bowl.

Jan 13, 2021, 8:55 PM

Much difference. Sorry autocorrect.

Jan 13, 2021, 9:24 PM

Tom Herman our offense needs a refresh

Jan 13, 2021, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: If Elliott does leave....does Dabo roll with Streeter? ]

All who know Dabo know he is loyal and requires that of others. His goal is to not win just the next game, but be relevant in the future. He is now rich and famous. He can do it his way.

Players and coaches buy in as Dabo is not a fake.
Maybe his biggest weak point is loyalty to a guy, but maybe that is his strongest point.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Jan 13, 2021, 10:18 PM

Tom Herman, please.

Jan 14, 2021, 10:51 AM

I don't want Tom Herman anywhere near the Clemson program.

Maybe he can call a play or two, but he is a terrible person.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:20 PM

I’ll go with the horse we road in on, if Dabo likes them, I like them too. You can’t argue with Dabo as the best coach at planning ahead, & finding new coaches. He could bring the Safeties coach & make him Offensive coordinator & then bring Hobby in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Depends On Dabo! Philosophy change or Stay with the Spread!

Jan 13, 2021, 10:28 PM

When Chad Morris came - he and Gus Malzahn and Bobby Bentley had been running HUNH offenses for years in H.S. "and dominating"!
As more coaches started seeing the benefits of it - it became common place and "your team could practice against it daily in practice because your offense was running it too"!

Plus, the way the refs now allow the defense to sub, "if the offense subs" has hurt some of the HUNH offenses.

I think what the Chad likes to do has past it's shelf life! When he was here one of the major criticisms was his "unwillingness to adjust"!
He had top tier talent at Auburn - maybe not at QB - but at every other position and what did they do? Arkansas gets some good talent and "nada"! So, my answer is absolutely no Chad Morris back as OC. As a QB coach or WR coach or some other role - maybe!

Will Dabo flip the ###### - all this is assuming Coach Elliott were to leave his Alma Matter! But, do we go to an offense that's more like the Urban Meyer offenses? Speed option - but with a more accurate QB. I think the past couple seasons has illustrated in vivid colors "what a dominant OL can still do in college football"!
I think for a while with the HUNH concept - they were not needed! Why? Because, those big old DL were going to be gassed by the 2nd qtr. Well, now teams and rules have caught up to the up tempo game a bit! Now, going a thousand miles an hour isn't as easy to wear down defenses who have put lighter defenses on the field "who can run"! DL depth and frequent rotations and if you sub defensive players are taught to take their time to get on the field. The ref has to allow you time to get in the game!
Our OL recruiting at this point in Clemson Football history should be as good as we have ever seen. It hasn't been because we ran so many plays it helped our OL out. We were usually blocking tired worn down DL and our tempo was an equalizer.
It's not exactly like that now! So, with that said, do we change our star requirements and recruitment of higher rated more powerful OL? Because we can't rely on just wearing a defense out anymore! LSU and Alabama both had really good OL. And, they both ran some intermittent tempo on top of that and both have excellent skill positions! We have what they have but for one area - that dominant OL.

And, who else is out there?

Jan 13, 2021, 10:38 PM

If your Dabo I think if Coach Elliott were to leave - it would be something like the following: "who out there is moving the ball almost at will; despite having a disadvantage in talent"?

That's the question in my mind he would ask. Because that person would likely be compensated more at Clemson! And such a person would have access to better players at Clemson! Especially this point and time in Clemson Football history!

Maybe the OC from Indiana! Maybe the team of coaches who built what Alabama is running now! Sark basically took many of the plays they ran since Tua was more comfortable with them and blended some of his stuff with it! Take those two who are at: Michigan, Maryland and Miami*3 of them*. My guess is they would all like to get out of where they are now. Locksley maybe not because he is a HC; but who knows.

Or you look to the NFL for the next Joe Brady! Somebody who is an understudy - but just needs an opportunity and some talent to prove their worth!

Or you look at some past OC's that Brent Venables has faced at a school you could lure somebody away from and go: "who gave you the most trouble keeping up with them"? Who made adjustments well versus you? Whoever that is that can be lured away - you go with. BV is still the best in the business and would have 1st hand knowledge of what a good OC can do even against good defense.

Loaded question! Basically, IDK! LOL!

Re: And, who else is out there?

Jan 14, 2021, 11:28 AM

you will laugh but bobby bentley in some capacity might not be a bad add.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:38 PM

my god how many times you wimmens heard a coach is leaving.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 11:33 AM

Butt Never Agains daddy is available!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 14, 2021, 12:06 PM

I want an external hire. I feel like the offense needs a revamp

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic