Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question from a Gamecock about coaching hire
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Question from a Gamecock about coaching hire

Nov 20, 2020, 1:48 PM

Hello everyone, First time post on the Tigernet. So be nice. I am married to a Clemson grad, so hope that helps.

I've been reading the USC fans perspectives on a new coach, so I thought asking our rival for an honest opinion would be interesting also.

Here is the most recent betting odds list from Saturday Down South.

Billy Napier +300
Hugh Freeze +400
Shane Beamer +500
Jerry Chadwell +600
Luke Fickell +700
Tony Elliott +750
Scott Satterfield +800
Bill O’Brien +900
Steve Sarkisian +1000
Brent Venables +1000
Will Healy +1000
Joe Brady +1200
Jeff Monken +1200

There is a lot of talk on the Gamecock sites about Napier, and Beamer. The others are talked about but not as much.

My thoughts and would like yours regarding a best fit/choice.

If Napier is all that good, then why would Dabo let him go?
Beamer is an interesting pick but a gamble because he has not done it. Pretty resume but its just names he is connected to. No personal track record.

I think there is really only one factor if the goal is relevance and championships. Who on the list has beat Saban? Freeze. As for baggage, I've gone round and round on this, and watch some interviews and read a good article on SI. It could only be talk but he owns that he made some huge mistakes in the past. I don't think he is so stupid to ignore the fact that the NCAA will be watching him.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd pick Chadwell

Nov 20, 2020, 1:58 PM

The main reason for Chadwell is that I think he has the charisma and leadership to possibly rebuild USC. He strikes me as a 'players coach' and that'll sell in recruiting. He's also good in the underdog role. He lacks HC experience and would be seen as a gamble. But, I think it's a gamble y'all have to make.

Napier was too young for the OC role when he was at Clemson. He fell into it, made a mess and got shuffled out to make room for people with more experience. My feel is that he wants the money and the opportunity. But, can he lead the program from the cellar to the penthouse? I have my doubts. It's probably a safe pick though, and Tanner probably wants a safe pick to ride out another 2-3 years as AD.

Freeze is what I'm hoping you guys pick. And, in an effort to be transparent, I'm hoping you pick Freeze because we will give him $hit non-stop for being morally bankrupt. It's an easy target and we love easy targets. He's a good coach though and, again, probably a 'safe' pick for an unsure AD to make.

Bobo might make sense if he can win out. He's got some good recruiting connections and could be your guy. But, if I'm a Carolina fan, I'm hoping on Chadwell. High Risk / High Reward. If he flops, you can't be any worse off than you already are.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd pick Chadwell

Nov 20, 2020, 2:11 PM

Can we really call it a "rebuild" when it was never built in the first place at UofSC?

Chickens live in a hen house, not the penthouse. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2020, 3:01 PM [ in reply to I'd pick Chadwell ]

After reading some of the history on Napier from some of the post, I would pick Napier over Chadwell. Maybe just an edge better with HC experience and conference.

As for the crap we would get if we hired Freeze, it would be crazy. I think the leaders go that way if they are trying to make a fast change to the current results. All the hires has some sort of risk reward to them. Of course Freeze is image and fan acceptance.

Nov 20, 2020, 7:46 PM [ in reply to I'd pick Chadwell ]

Linda Lovelace would be a good choice. She might blow a few but doesn’t choke on the big ones.

Nov 20, 2020, 7:47 PM [ in reply to I'd pick Chadwell ]

Linda Lovelace would be a good choice. She might blow a few but doesn’t choke on the big ones.

Re: Question from a Gamecock about coaching hire

Nov 20, 2020, 1:59 PM

I don't have much comment on who scar should hire or who would be able to improve the program.

One thing on Freeze.

He was hired by Ole Miss in part because he told them in the interview process he was willing to do anything to win.

After being caught with hard evidence of his cheating and indiscretions, he still lied about them.

Now he says he won't cheat anymore and has learned from his mistakes.

What on Earth makes you believe him now, when he wouldn't even admit what he did after he had been caught?

Also, notice how he says he learned from his mistakes. He didn't say whether the mistake was cheating, calling hookers, both or getting caught.

He is a scumbag that I hope, for the well-being of the young people in our state, is never allowed to coach for a team in the state of South Carolina.

Seems like the coots would have learned from Hotlz...

Nov 20, 2020, 3:27 PM

who left NCState on probation.
then left MN on probation.
then left ARK on probation.
then left ND on probation.
the left the coots on probation.

They don't care about cheating...only winning.

(not sure about the order of the above list).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember Napier was wayyyyy back in 2010

Nov 20, 2020, 1:59 PM

He was only 31 then and had no previous coordinator experience. Dabo was also young and inexperienced and was learning to be a head coach. From what I recall, Billy wanted to run a more power type offense like pre-Tua Bama. Dabo, on the other hand, wanted a faster paced Gus Malzhan/Chad Morris type system. So you had that clash of styles combined with Dabo taking a pretty active role in playcalling - not a great recipe.

Everything went pretty well through 2009, as we had solid offensive production (CJ Spiller went a long way in covering up any deficiencies). However, the offense took a major step back in 2010. Personally, I think that had more to do with Kyle Parker playing hurt/scared most of the season rather than the playcalling or coaching, but there were legitimate criticisms there as well. At the end of that season (which resulted in a 6-7 record) Dabo was under tremendous pressure to make some big changes and make them fast. In fact, a very vocal group of fans wanted him gone (although there are few around now who will cop to it, if you were on the boards back then it was BAD). The offense was the weak point that year and that, combined with the clash in styles, made Billy the natural target for the change.

That's my two cents on the Billy situation. And by the way, we welcome Gamecocks who are interested in legit discussion like this!

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember Napier was wayyyyy back in 2010

Nov 20, 2020, 2:46 PM

Thats great insight on what happened in the past, that's why I wanted to ask the question here. And as for a "legit discussion", I agree. Of course I would like to win one against yall again, but that doesn't mean we cant discuss each others situation and have fun with it. Appreciated. Happy Turkey day!!

i don't know i any of that is true

Nov 20, 2020, 5:08 PM

dabo let spence go immediately and needed some 1 .. he tried to go to Napier, Didnt work out so they parted,

simple as that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Remember Napier was wayyyyy back in 2010

Nov 20, 2020, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Remember Napier was wayyyyy back in 2010 ]

"Kyle Parker playing hurt/scared most of the season"

Ah, yeah, Parker rolls right and throws it away. About every other play...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^That was his favorite play***

Nov 20, 2020, 4:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Kyle Parker is a great quarterback who will play in the NFL one day!” -Dabo Swinney

Nov 21, 2020, 1:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Remember Napier was wayyyyy back in 2010 ]

LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: “Kyle Parker is a great quarterback who will play in the NFL one day!” -Dabo Swinney

Nov 21, 2020, 8:34 AM

Just bad spelling...MLB?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you and your wife not read the Bible before marrying?

Nov 20, 2020, 2:13 PM

That part about being unequally yoked?? ;)

I have no idea who they'll get down there. They rarely, if ever, get the one they want and end up settling for whoever will say Yes.

I would put my money on Freeze, out of all of those. I think Napier knows that program well enough to know he doesn't want to get involved. Beamer would be my other option since he's coached there before.

I think what Dabo has shown the world is that you don't just want a head coach. You want a leader. There are lots of coaches out there who aren't good leaders. You can get a head coach with little to no experience but who has the leadership skills to recruit and hire the best guys. He doesn't need to be the best coach, himself, but he needs to be able to lead the best coaches at their positions.

It'll be interesting to see what happens and how much they're willing to pay out for a new HC while they're still dealing with the buyout from Chump.

Point For Being Smart Enuf to Marry Orange***

Nov 20, 2020, 2:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who Cares? You can't make chikin salad out of

Nov 20, 2020, 2:16 PM

Chicken $$hitt

Nov 20, 2020, 2:22 PM

I think the odds are pretty close...except for Elliot and Venables, there is virtually 0% chance there. Chadwell or the guy from Charlotte would really be smart hires, not splash hires and would give you the best chance to build a winner....not sure the fanbase and administration will wait long enough for that to happen

Nov 20, 2020, 2:49 PM

I agree on Elliot and Venables. Why would they ever want to leave Clemson. That goes for all the DABO to Alabama talk for when Saban retires. Any of those three would be crazy to ever leave what they have going now.

Freeze: anybody else have to consider

Nov 20, 2020, 3:16 PM

Any candidate will have to keep in the back of their head the uphill battle they have at SCar. TN, Mich, Penn St, perhaps Southern Cal and some other P5 jobs could easily be coming open soon - where it would be easier to win! If Hugh Freeze went to Michigan - perhaps "The Game" would actually mean something again! He literally would have the ability to basically sleep walk through the rest of the Big 10 with the exception of O Cry O St.

Take the SCar job and you have to get through Florida and Georgia and on occasion Kentucky in the Sleezy C least. Get by that you have N. Satan or perhaps the no moral -sell they soul for a "ship" LSU to contend with or maybe awful U.

Michigan or South Carolina job - if you are H. Freeze which are you taking? Same question for all the others on the list who are considered hot coaching candidates?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Freeze: anybody else have to consider

Nov 20, 2020, 7:54 PM

Any candidate will have to keep in the back of their head the uphill battle they have at SCar. TN, Mich, Penn St, perhaps Southern Cal and some other P5 jobs could easily be coming open soon - where it would be easier to win! If Hugh Freeze went to Michigan - perhaps "The Game" would actually mean something again! He literally would have the ability to basically sleep walk through the rest of the Big 10 with the exception of O Cry O St.

Take the SCar job and you have to get through Florida and Georgia and on occasion Kentucky in the Sleezy C least. Get by that you have N. Satan or perhaps the no moral -sell they soul for a "ship" LSU to contend with or maybe awful U.

Michigan or South Carolina job - if you are H. Freeze which are you taking? Same question for all the others on the list who are considered hot coaching candidates?

Freeze may have LSU opportunity soon ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2020, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Question from a Gamecock about coaching hire ]

There is no telling who will get the job with Tanner still as AD. All I ask is that yall not fall into the trap so many SEC programs fall in to in hiring someone from the SEC right now. Your conference needs new coaching blood instead of retreads from other failed attempts

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17, coot.

Nov 20, 2020, 2:33 PM

#### off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Here's my take for FWIW

Nov 20, 2020, 2:38 PM

Napier - Napier was young and relatively inexperienced when Dabo let him go ten years ago. By all accounts, he has developed into a pretty good coach and he is familiar with recruiting throughout the southeast. The question/concern is, would that translate from ULaLa to a Power 5 program? He's presumably interested and affordable which are two of uof6c's top three criteria.

Beamer - This hire makes absolutely no sense other than from an economic standpoint. He has no experience as a head coach or as a coordinator. While he served as Assistant Head Coach for his father at VT and he currently hold that same position at Oklahoma, it is largely an administrative role.

Freeze - The fact that uof6c is even remotely considering Freeze the Sleaze speaks volumes. Is uo6c really so desperate for football success that they will knowingly, willingly and gladly compromise what little is left of the character and integrity of the university, the coaches and the student-athletes for what may result in a few more wins? Apparently the answer is yes. He couldn't win at Ole Miss without cheating. What makes anyone think he could win at uof6c without cheating. Not sure Sankey would ever approve it without some kind of "show cause" order which then places the onus directly on uof6c if Freeze gets busted again for cheating. It's a huge risk that could land you in hot water with the NCAA and on probation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 20, 2020, 2:39 PM

Most of the uofsc radio talking heads seem to be going with Beamer and have so for several days.

The one plus Bobo has is the 5* qb committed in either 22 or 23. There is some kind of connection and history between him and Bobo, so if Bobo goes, so will the qb, and we all know how uofsc pins their future national championship on the next qb.

Nov 20, 2020, 2:53 PM

I've thought about the Beamer scenario where he keeps Bobo. The offense would look a lot better if guys would catch the ball. Beamer would need to find a DC. I would be ok with that. AND yes, if Gunner would keep his commit, that would be great.

Nov 20, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Question from a Gamecock about coaching hire ]

Both of my brothers are SCAR products.

The year we signed TL16, Gamecocks signed Dakereon Joyner. One brother said "I don't think Lawrence will do much at Clemson. Dakereon Joyner will beat him every year."

In 2018 TL won a National Championship, Joyner completed 1-of-2 passes for 1 yard and rushed three times for 24 yards in a redshirt year.

My point is that I'm not sure Gamecocks at any level have much rational judgment, so Freeze may be "the coach to beat Dabo every year".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2020, 2:57 PM

Jamey Chadwell, not Jerry.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoever you hire...

Nov 20, 2020, 3:00 PM

I hope they adopt the schools new rallying cry...HENS UP!!

PS it wont matter.. 6-7 wins is who you are as a program. :p

Message was edited by: MidlandsTiger87®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Nov 20, 2020, 3:12 PM

UofSC fans learned nothing from the last coaching search five years ago. At that tine the fans thought that conference membership allowed them to have their pick of coaches as what coach would not want to coach in the SEC. They soon learned that not all SEC HC positions are created equally as you finally settled for Muschamp who was about 7th on the original list. Then all we heard is Muschamp had "SEC" experience and could sell ice to Eskimos but unfortunately there are not many D1 recruits living in the north pole.

Fast forward to the current search and UofSC fans still believe conference affiliation will attract an up and coming coach which is incorrect. They also believe any coach can be bought with enough money but that only works for the coaches you should not consider.

Napier has his eye on LSU so no chance he would risk his career in Columbia. Same for Freeze except the SEC may not allow him to take the job.

Billy Napier (No, LSU)
Hugh Freeze (No, Michigan)
Shane Beamer (Yes but no HC experience)
Jerry Chadwell (Yes)
Luke Fickell (Not even a lateral move)
Tony Elliott (not interested)
Scott Satterfield (Not even a lateral move)
Bill O’Brien (Not sure how he even made the list)
Steve Sarkisian (Is this the guy you want as the face of your program?)
Brent Venables (Not interested)
Will Healy (Yes but no experience in P5 ball)
Joe Brady (Not interested in college positions)
Jeff Monken (Might be interested)

Basically from the above list Beamer, Chadwell, Healy and Monken would be the options. I actually believe all four are good options. My ranking

Beamer has never been a HC so he would be lower on my list. The thing is in the interview if he can lay out a plan including coordinators may be worth a look.

Healy looks like a slam dunk in terms of up and coming coaches but there is quite a difference between Charlotte and UofSC so he would also be lower on my list.

Finalist

Chadwell is perfectly positioned in terms of this being a great move. Experience in state, HC experience, lots of winning seasons and doing more with less.

Monkey is a winner but runs the dreaded triple option which UofSC fans don't like or think can be successful. The thing is they want to do things the same as they have always been done but get different results. The triple option can be very successful IF the HC can recruit. GT proved that as Johnson was able to win the conference and take them to the Orange Bowl running the triple threat O. His problem was he could not recruit at GT due to his personality and the academic standards.

Nov 20, 2020, 3:39 PM

No. Trunk Monkey is a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW8iAVwt_Yc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I don't have a clue who y'all will get.

Nov 20, 2020, 3:22 PM

I genuinely couldn't begin to prognosticate on who will get picked.

That being said, if people want to put money on Venables, I will be more than happy to be your bookie. I know that he is a flashly name to put on every coaching list these days but I would gladly take your money on the off chance I am wrong.

I actually laughed when I saw Bill O'Brian's name down there. That one would make me smile if you actually ended up with him. I've always assumed you all would go for somebody impressive and then end up with Freeze. Seeing O'Brian's name makes me want to see him in Carolina(although I can't look at his chin.)

Same as last time, they don’t get to pick.

Nov 20, 2020, 3:41 PM

The only question is how far down the list they have to go to find someone desperate enough to say Yes to them.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

+1 for the cojones to swarm into this monkey den...

Nov 20, 2020, 3:51 PM

I'd make a go at Jim Harbaugh if I was the AD at South Carolina. Big name, good enough to keep South Carolina around or above middle of the pack in SEC East, and he might be anxious to try to repair his reputation after getting the axe at Michigan.

Just a reminder for you of what Hugh Freeze did for Ole Miss

Nov 20, 2020, 4:43 PM

The NCAA imposed the following penalties against the Ole Miss football program:

1. Three years of probation from Dec. 1, 2017, to Nov. 30, 2020.
2. A financial penalty of $5,000 plus 1 percent of its average football budget for three years, which was calculated at $179,797 (self-imposed by the university).
3. A postseason ban for the 2017 (self-imposed by the university) and 2018 seasons.
4. The head coach must serve a two-conference-game suspension for the 2018 season should any NCAA school hire him between Dec. 1, 2017, and Nov. 30, 2018.
5. An eight-year show-cause order for the operations coordinator, during which he must not hold any athletically related duties or have contact with prospective student-athletes and their families.
6. A five-year show-cause order for the assistant coach who facilitated standardized test fraud and living arrangements. He must not hold any athletically related duties during this time.
7. A two-year show-cause order for the other involved assistant coach. During this time, he must not participate in off-campus recruiting activities or hosting any meals for prospects or student-athletes.
8. A five-year show-cause order for the assistant athletics director. He must not participate in any recruiting activities during this time.
9. Vacation of all regular-season and postseason wins in which ineligible student-athletes competed.
10. Scholarship reductions through 2018-19, as detailed in the public report (self-imposed by the university).
11. Recruiting restrictions, as detailed in the public report.
12. Disassociation of boosters, as detailed in the public report (self-imposed by the university).

This was handed down in December of 2017 - not ancient history as Ole Miss still has 10 days left on their probation from Freeze's antiques. I doubt Sankey is just going to let Freeze waltz back in the SEC without putting some strict over-site requirements on him from the league office. If South Carolina wants to play Russian Roulette with 4 rounds in the cylinder then go ahead - just don't be shocked when Freeze gets caught reverting back to his old ways and blows your chicken brains out...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From the tone of your post, you are taking the typical

Nov 20, 2020, 5:06 PM

Gamecock path, and doing all you can to talk yourself into the bad hire, which would be Freeze, and out of the good hire, which would be Napier.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't see a cheerleader on the list.

Nov 20, 2020, 5:13 PM

You should try a cheerleader. Worked for us.

whoever the 5th choice is

Nov 20, 2020, 5:25 PM

Im hoping for Napier

It's not a great job or a great location. Only OBS won

Nov 20, 2020, 5:57 PM

consistently there. I don't think any coach who wants to have a future, would look at SC. However, I am biased.

I'll send a letter of application like I did the last time, maybe this time they'll reply. I really did, they really didn't.

Nov 20, 2020, 6:47 PM

The best advice I can give you is: don't hire Freeze.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Still can’t understand Napier being the top target

Nov 20, 2020, 8:14 PM

What has he done to suggest that he can make a consistent winner out of SCAR in the SEC?

I agree that he is a safe hire, but with low risk comes low reward. Can you really see yourself 10 years from now saying “hiring Napier was a master stroke”?

If Dabo left for Bama and took Elliott and Venables with him, and I was left with the rest of these names to choose from, I would pursue Fickell or Satterfield. But this is a ridiculous scenario, because
1) Dabo isn’t going anywhere
2) Clemson would have much better options than these

We have already done the high risk, high reward method. We are in a position to make a “safe” hire. You are not.

Hard to put myself in Ray’s shoes, but if I were, I would probably chase Beamer. Low salary, heavy incentives, good coordinators. Sark woul be my second choice. No way I would touch Freeze, and I just don’t know enough about Chadwell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still can’t understand Napier being the top target

Nov 20, 2020, 11:56 PM

Had lunch with a friend of mine today who used to coach at UofSC and is still close to the program. He also coached at other SEC schools and was a head coach at a P-5 school. I think he also has Tanner's ear. He thinks they should hire someone with SEC experience (said Napier would fit the bill because of his position at Bama). Big NO on Beamer. Didn't give an opinion of Freeze, except that he was a cheater ...... as are all of the other schools. He said the night of the Mississippi game when Smith took off his helmet after a TD his phone started ringing off the hook, some of whom were large donors who said that they had had it with the program. He also mentioned that the culture in the locker room was not good. In other words ....... lots of problems! I don't think anything there is going to be fixed anytime soon.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still can’t understand Napier being the top target

Nov 21, 2020, 8:45 AM

Interesting to hear the part about Smith. The most striking part of that to me was that Muschamp or any other coaches did not appear to speak to him about it at all. At that point, I knew Muschamp was done.

IMHO, SC needs to go after a young, energetic fellow....

Nov 21, 2020, 3:20 AM

..like Dabo, who has a vision, and knows how to build a program from the ground up; surely their must be 100s of coaches that would fit that bill? I would stay away from "names, retreads, has SEC ties, etc.". And you need a squeaky clean guy, ie NOT Hugh Freeze. And while you're at it, lobby for an on campus stadium....

Nov 21, 2020, 4:42 AM

I have said for a long time SC needs to build a college village around the campus and the stadium to give SC more of a college feel. Then hire a young energetic staff like the staff at Coastal. Invest money into your program. Be patient with the young staff giving them 10 to 12 years to make major changes in SC football. Some of those coaches you have no chance to get regardless of money. Some you may not want. It will take an innovative coaching staff to make the changes. What would you have to lose?? IMO the only reason Steve Spurrier had 3 / 11 wins seasons out of 10 years. The reason he won 11 games those 3 years was because he caught many teams that were struggling and he was able to get really good local talent in SC and NC. When that dried up SC football started coming back down to earth. This is Another reason to go after a young energetic and innovative staff is because SC is getting the reputation where coaches careers tend to spiral downward after leaving SC. And I would not hire Hugh Freeze he has only been a Liberty for 8 games. You want a HC with character, integrity and honesty. A HC that will build the program the right way. Stay away from recycled coaches and older coaches. Keys words for the next HC at SC young, energetic, talented coaches with character. Coaches with a dynamic personality the recruit’s will be drawn to and ungraded facilities. Make them feel they are part of the new SC and close the books on the past.

I believe this is the most important hire in the history of your program so I would not rush to hire someone. Even if it cost you some recruits. IMO I believe we are talking about several years and a lot of support and faith from the fans as well as a lot of money to build SC into a consistently winning program. I like Tay Tanner but I would get someone else to negotiate the next coaches contracts. And let the next staff know they will have time and support to change SC football. Take your lumps until things begin to turn around. But don’t give up on the staff. Your history of wins vs loses is right at .500. So just realize with a good quality staff it will take a while to build a new model of SC football.

Good luck I know SC fans have suffered many let downs over the years.

Nov 21, 2020, 8:44 AM

Wednesday I was trying to find the new DNR Boat Titling office and sign on Assembly St building said at The Market so I head for the old Farmers Market. I ended up at the Football Ops building and indoor practice facility. Since Chump was gone I didn't stop in. The park and area across from the Bronze Chicken is an attractive area but it is isolated and not part of campus. That hurts some abd makes the village concept harder to build and sell.

I found the DNR is actually out off I26-77.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2020, 8:52 AM

Having the Greek village near the stadium would definitely improve the vibe. Instead the frat-bags are currently terrorizing the residents of Olympia.

Nov 21, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Question from a Gamecock about coaching hire ]

Absolutely right. We've had a few years of success. Building the long term success is the key. The more i have read up on the candidates, Beamer, Caldwell, Napier would be good choices. The best one would really need a solid plan and staff. It's going to be interesting.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic