Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are The Stars Out Tonight?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Are The Stars Out Tonight?

Dec 29, 2020, 3:44 PM

Do any of you remember this little verse?

"Star light, star bright. First star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might have the wish I wish tonight".

I've always been amazed by the many stars one can see on a clear night. The Hubble scope has enabled us to see galaxies millions of light years from Planet Earth. We are so used to thinking in finite numbers I find it difficult to imagine endless space.

There are several dwarf galaxies between us and the large Andromeda Galaxy which is about 2.5 million light years from earth. It is estimated here are about 400 billion stars in our Milky Way and over one trillion stars in Andromeda. Canis Major, one of the dwarf galaxies is about 25,000 light years from our Milky Way.

The Andromeda Galaxy is a strange bird. All other galaxies are moving away from our Milky Way but Andromeda is moving toward the Milky Way at a speed of about 100 kilometers per second. But, we need not worry, at that rate it will collide with our Milky Way in about 4.5 billion years from now. Thoughts vary on just how bad the collision will be but some scientists suggest everything on Planet Earth will vaporize. One of the other problems is the number of black holes in the Andromeda Galaxy. Twenty five have been identified thus far and the scientists don't know how this would affect the stars aa they collide. Anyway, I don't want to be around when these two galaxies collide.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are The Stars Out Tonight?

Dec 29, 2020, 3:47 PM

I wonder if the coots will win a conference title before the Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way collide?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 4:00 PM

And of all those infinite stars, we can only see around 3000-5000 with the naked eye in perfect conditions.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Dec 29, 2020, 4:07 PM

Another weird thing about space is that it would never be dark without interstellar dust. Each little particle could be an outrageous amount of miles away from another particle of dust, but all together they block the light out from some stars. We would have 24 hour light without it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 6:02 PM

And just think ...... some of those stars and galaxies that the Hubble scope has detected are so many light years away they may not be in existence today. It takes about 8.5 minutes for the light from the sun to reach the Earth, just a mere 93,000,000 mile trip. Compare this to 2.5 million light years from the Andromeda Galaxy and we're talking about some serious mileage.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic