Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we Blue Bloods yet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Are we Blue Bloods yet?

Oct 8, 2020, 8:20 AM

Asking for a friend.

"Blue Bloods" not nearly as blue as Clemson these days:

Penn State
Texas
USC

Not sure if there is an official list anywhere, but when do we join?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Reading Media You Would Think Miami is New ACC

Oct 8, 2020, 8:27 AM

Superpower and we are doomed

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No...

Oct 8, 2020, 8:36 AM

ORANGE blood !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Orange blooded...

Oct 8, 2020, 9:41 AM

'Muricans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No...

Oct 8, 2020, 10:00 AM [ in reply to No... ]

Orange!

And blue bloods assume they are great because of their "legacy"

I hope we are never like that.

I want to be great because we BEAT legacies.

Merit, not birthright.

I think we are more like The Beatles in 1964. We have

Oct 8, 2020, 8:36 AM

achieved so much success that all the doors of the upper class are open to us, and we have a seat at their table. But, in their silent moments, they still consider us to be Scousers from Liverpool who just got struck lucky, and happened to hit the Big Time.

Kind of like how "old" Charleston families consider those who have only been there for 100 years to be "newcomers". :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great! Going to have a Yoko come in and mess things up.***

Oct 8, 2020, 8:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tomorrow Never Knows.

Oct 8, 2020, 8:49 AM

Everybody's got something to hide, 'cept for me and my Monkey.

I always wondered how John got away with calling Yoko his "Monkey". Maybe she never got it.

It wasn't Yoko's fault the beatles broke-up...

Oct 8, 2020, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Great! Going to have a Yoko come in and mess things up.*** ]

While she gets blamed for it, it was largely because of Paul and John and their HUGE egos.

Similar to Bobby Robinson getting blamed for firing Danny Ford. Nothing could be further from the truth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It wasn't Yoko's fault the beatles broke-up...

Oct 8, 2020, 10:53 AM

I agree but he gats all the blame for the West hire.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no idea who was ultimately responsible...

Oct 8, 2020, 11:56 AM

for hiring West, who was coming off a 4-7 season at UT Chattanooga.

However, I do know that Chuck Reedy, Bobby Johnson, and Mickey Andrews were also interviewed.

At the ends of the day, that hire was simply an attempt by the Clemson Administration to appease the fans who were still upset about Danny Ford being fired. West was as close to a Danny clone as they could find.

Oct 8, 2020, 11:24 AM [ in reply to It wasn't Yoko's fault the beatles broke-up... ]

Never heard the Bobby Robinson thing. Learn something new everyday I suppose.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was all Max Lennon's doing...

Oct 8, 2020, 11:58 AM

In fact, Bobby Robinson literally begged Lennon to reconsider.

Bobby Robinson was also opposed to hiring Hatfield. He wanted Fisher DeBerry.

Oct 8, 2020, 11:48 AM [ in reply to It wasn't Yoko's fault the beatles broke-up... ]

What? Danny didn’t quit?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we are more like The Beatles in 1964. We have

Oct 8, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to I think we are more like The Beatles in 1964. We have ]

TU for "Scousers from Liverpool", my mom is one of those, and actually went to the same school as George Harrison.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we are more like The Beatles in 1964. We have

Oct 8, 2020, 12:47 PM

That was straight out of the Bob Spitz biography The Beatles. I thin that is hands down the best book ever written about them. (Best as in most truthful.)

Just keep winning.***

Oct 8, 2020, 8:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

And recruiting***

Oct 8, 2020, 11:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The other "blues" will never accept us.

Oct 8, 2020, 8:52 AM

They're too salty from us beating them all the time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we Blue Bloods yet?

Oct 8, 2020, 9:22 AM

Dang is Penn State a blue blood? For real?

Oct 8, 2020, 9:29 AM

Blood runs ORANGE!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 9:36 AM

The Blueblood list....

Southern Cal
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Alabama
Oklahoma

That’s the list.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2020, 9:37 AM

Good opinion on this.....

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefootball/2020/03/06/top-25-college-football-blue-bloods/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has 25 conference titles spanning both the SEC and

Oct 8, 2020, 10:56 AM

the ACC conferences."

Nice of him to credit us with some "de facto" SEC championships.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: "Clemson has 25 conference titles spanning both the SEC and

Oct 8, 2020, 12:17 PM

He should have stated "Southern Conference", which at the time included most of the current SEC, some of the ACC, and some other schools that have fallen by the wayside.

Oct 8, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Are we Blue Bloods yet? ]

This writer completely discredited himself by listing Terry Bowden as one of the great Auburn coaches. If you have 25 blue bloods on your list you don’t have any.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Michigan belongs

Oct 8, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Are we Blue Bloods yet? ]

on the list of blue bloods as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

"Blue Bloods" are the teams that were elite

Oct 8, 2020, 9:42 AM

when you Boomers were in your 20's.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

^^And you

Oct 8, 2020, 10:52 AM

Were in diapers...'not so young one'!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For Bob that would be Harvard, Yale and Princeton.***

Oct 8, 2020, 12:05 PM [ in reply to "Blue Bloods" are the teams that were elite ]

There's something in these hills.

Oct 8, 2020, 11:05 AM

Nope. Blue bloods refer to their parent’s parent’s parents. And Penn State is nowhere near a blue blood. They were just a northeastern independent who choked in the big games or were not viewed as equals in the polls when it came to voting on an undefeated Penn State versus a two loss Bama or USC or Michigan. Joining the BIG has kind of made them a little less relevant but they get talked up as a way to inflate the bucknuts accomplishments.

Oct 8, 2020, 12:19 PM

Here is the best take I have ever seen on this topic. This was a post on another message board, not mine....

"Here’s my take:

1) "blue blood" refers to the teams that largely dominated the period between 1947-1979. Before that was basically the anarchic/uncivilized period. The polls started in 1936, I know, but there was no standardization, and then WWII started. So, it’s after the Army run that I look at as when there were blue bloods in cfb. [This will allow Gopher fans to think of themselves as rampaging Vikings in the 1930s, so they should work with me.]

2) During the standardization period, certain teams stepped to the fore. This was especially the case from 1961-1979. In the 50’s there was still a lot of turnover in most conference’s pecking order, Oklahoma in the Big Seven excepted. But, for the better part of the 60s and 70s, every major conference was either largely dominated by a blue blood (USC, Alabama, Texas), or saw two blue bloods constantly warring for supremacy (OSU/Michigan, Nebraska/Oklahoma). Add in Notre Dame, and you have the eight most storied programs, and account for every national title from ‘61-’79, save for Pitt in ‘76 (which caused a major rules change) and partial claims from MSU and Arkansas. This is the aristocratic period. There weren’t many games on TV, and those that were almost always featured these teams.

3) Starting in 1980, the barbarians stormed the gates. For five straight years, a non-blue blood won the national title (three times beating a blue blood in their bowl game), By the end of that period, in 1985, Darrell Royal, Woody Hayes, and Bear Bryant were gone, independents had asserted themselves (PSU, MIami, and FSU primarily, though people forget how good Pitt was so long as Jackie Sherrill was there to make Barry Switzer look clean), and, perhaps most importantly, the Supreme Court had ruled against the NCAA and opened the door to wall-to-wall football on TV on Saturdays.

4) If we want to continue the metaphor, then 1980-present is basically the post-industrialization or "new money" period. If you ask me the eight most elite programs over the last 40 seasons, I’d probably go: OSU, Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, FSU, Florida, Miami. Six of those schools won three or more national titles and the two that didn’t—OSU and Oklahoma—have probably been the most dominant in terms of their conference. Your mileage may vary, and Nebraska would certainly have an argument.

5) If you limit it to the BCS/playoff era, then it’s pretty much still the same list, except, I’d probably add Auburn and kick out Miami. The concept of being a regional empire doesn’t mean as much anymore, and the center of gravity is clearly in the southeast.

But to call Clemson or FSU a blue blood is like calling Wal-Mart or Amazon a blue blood. It’s anachronistic. The easiest way to tell that being a blue blood is of greatly decreased value is when one of those jobs comes open. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Nebraksa, Texas can’t just expect to get whoever they want. They’ve all had really awkward searches and bad hires (Oklahoma, too, in the 90s, and Alabama in the 00’s). It doesn’t mean what it used to."

Source....

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2020/1/24/21078249/what-defines-a-football-blue-blood-in-2020

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic