Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What year did the W/L Record become secondary to the "eye test"?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 798

What year did the W/L Record become secondary to the "eye test"?

Oct 18, 2020, 4:06 PM

There used to be a pretty severe drop in the rankings for a loss, especially if it was at the end of the season.

Does anybody else remember those days?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What year did the W/L Record become secondary to the "eye test"?

Oct 18, 2020, 4:07 PM

the bias applied to SEC relative to all other P5 teams has been in place since the BCS, essentially created by the SEC, was started in 1998. unsurprisingly, at one point the SEC won seven BCS titles in a row, including the ludicrous Bama-UGA "Game of the Century II" rematch where an SEC team was guaranteed to win.

the pressure from ESPN to influence the rankings of SEC teams was boosted heavily in 2008 when ESPN signed a 15-year $2.25 Billion deal with the SEC.

it's not personal, it's just busine$$.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/276285-the-sec-created-the-bcs-florida-plays-it-safe-and-refs-assist-them

https://www.al.com/spotnews/2008/08/espn_sec_reach_15year_225_bill.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

BEST answer... All others need not apply.***

Oct 18, 2020, 4:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

P.S. Always, repeat... "ALWAYS Follow the Money."***

Oct 18, 2020, 4:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, 12 YEARS of "influence peddling" by eSECpn...

Oct 18, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to BEST answer... All others need not apply.*** ]

... sad.

YES.***

Oct 18, 2020, 4:23 PM

You can't drop Miami more than 6 spots for losing to

Oct 18, 2020, 4:10 PM

the number 1 team. Eye test says uga is really good

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They year they needed it to.***

Oct 18, 2020, 4:16 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They year they needed it to.***

Oct 18, 2020, 4:18 PM

year to year the standard is fluid and always changes to benefit SEC teams.

the one key effect that never changes is the artificially high pre-season rankings. that racket is a great enabler of SEC teams trading places, not dropping far after a loss, and the ridiculous concept of the SEC-only "quality loss."
that chit never changes.

Another SEC myth used to hype rankings are the "incredible" SEC defenses. Missouri comes into the SEC from the Big XII, constantly ridiculed for their weak/non-existent defenses, and almost immediately wins two SEC East titles. C'mon, man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Again,... couldn't have stated it better. EXACTLY!!! Maybe,

Oct 18, 2020, 4:26 PM

just maybe, this Covid year will expose it ...

Awwww.... Poor baby. Must be a SEC homer lurking... or maybe

Oct 18, 2020, 4:35 PM

a Covid denier... Either way, a bit delusional.

I think I can take a few downvotes for the rest of the year and never register a change. Try again.

Re: Awwww.... Poor baby. Must be a SEC homer lurking... or maybe

Oct 18, 2020, 4:42 PM

I got TD'd twice on this post already.... definitely hurt some sec lurkers feelings.

Re: Awwww.... Poor baby. Must be a SEC homer lurking... or maybe

Oct 18, 2020, 4:51 PM

the chimpcock flung poo on BengalBilly's post too.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:40 PM

I think it matters big time. I am not sure if it always has carried weight though. I am glad it does.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2020, 4:43 PM

This year another factor to watch will be number of games played, since they won't be equal. Whatever they decide, it will be to the benefit of the SEC. They've already argued that the ACC +1 games are just cupcakes, so no better than the SEC 10 games, ignoring the fact that the +1 was entirely intended to get the ACC/SEC interconference rivalry games - which the SEC teams were too scared to schedule.

The CFP committee will also want the mid-west demographic and national draw from the large alumni base of The Ohio State University, so there will be pretzel logic used when comparing records - assuming they don't lose two games, but how could they?

Replies: 14
| visibility 798
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic