Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D-line repeatedly rushing past QB, allowing many QB runs..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

D-line repeatedly rushing past QB, allowing many QB runs..

Nov 9, 2020, 12:07 PM

I know we had a spy on Ian Book, but he was repeatedly able to get away (juked our #15 a couple times, for example.) Our D-line rushes and they all go 2-3 yards beyond Book who calmly find opening after seas are parted and hurt us often. I feel we would be better if D-line just contained him. We almost never got to him by going around the O lineman.

They picked up our blitzes well, and we did not pick up theirs. Many/most calls went against us, the final personal foul was huge. It was barely a push. To beat them again we will need our guys back.

Great run by a Tiger, I remember when in early 70s 5-6 would make us happy. Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D-line repeatedly rushing past QB, allowing many QB runs..

Nov 9, 2020, 12:44 PM

I pointed that out to a couple buddies during the game.Once the outside rusher got passed Book he would roll right and either run or have an easier throw without throwing over players. Imo,if we just make him throw from a dirty pocket,his happy feet would be his downfall in the end.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:47 PM

Except that the version of Ian Book who played Saturday night didn't have happy feet.

We sent anywhere from 3-7 but most often sent 6 guys every time he dropped back to pass.

Their OL plus RB were able to pick up most of the 6 on those plays and Book stayed calm enough to find a spot to scramble or an outlet to throw to.

It was the best game Book has played in his career by far.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:53 PM

Book did have a great game but he was leaving pocket too early many times.My point was if we didn't keep over running him in the pocket he couldn't release from the pocket and either have to throw the ball early, or try to escape a tighter pocket.Ill take my chances with him throwing from a dirty pocket at his height.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:29 PM

Maybe so and I hope we can execute that if we get to play him again, but he did almost no wrong on Saturday night.

The lone exception being the fumble at the goal line.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: D-line repeatedly rushing past QB, allowing many QB runs.. ]

I agree, esp. as he is not very tall. As it was we gave him the easiest way out most of the play,

3 freshmen playing a bunch of those snaps

Nov 9, 2020, 1:22 PM

Are not going to have the discipline of vets. They'll learn

We need a Tyler Davis back in the middle occupying two guys.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:26 PM

He almost always draws and neutralizes a double team at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Makes a world of difference on what the other guys can do.

^^^ This! ^^^***

Nov 9, 2020, 1:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 1:29 PM

I thought it was more a matter of how the ND O-line was blocking. They were letting our guys through, but forcing them around and behind the pocket so that Book had a path thru the line if he wanted to rush, but had time to pass as well. And he had plenty of opportunity for both. It was a good blocking scheme and our guys just couldn't get through them - they just kept getting directed right around the pocket and rarely were able to penetrate it.

Agree!! They blocked to give Book “lanes” to run and throw. We got out played.

Nov 9, 2020, 1:39 PM

Simmons did a good job jamming and running to fill lanes. We don’t have anyone like that this year. Christian was good at spinning into lanes and dexter of pushing the pocket inward. We are just not there- especially without Tyler.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic