Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Definition of Insanity...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3,046

Definition of Insanity...

Nov 9, 2020, 11:01 AM

Valiant effort by our players. Our coaches are sometimes too stubborn and it cost us this game.

The final Clemson possession of regulation was pathetic. With 36 total rushing yards, I’m not sure why we expected to run the ball with 3 minutes left. DJ makes good decisions. I’ll take my chances. One first down and it’s over.

With a gassed and injured D, I’m not sure what we were thinking. I guessed it worked out the previous week against BC. Hated the playcalling (including BC) at the time at it looks even worse in retrospect.

Hopefully we learned a valuable lesson. Go Tigers!

Flame away. I don’t care. These are great coaches but they made a poor choice this time. It happens.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Definition of Insanity...

Nov 9, 2020, 11:04 AM

...is being a Peckerheads fan.

jus sayin

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, coaching on the offensive side of the ball continues

Nov 9, 2020, 11:07 AM

to be a weakness. There is no excuse whatsoever for us not being able to run at-will with ETN.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree, coaching on the offensive side of the ball continues

Nov 9, 2020, 11:08 AM

Except there is a great excuse for not be able to "run at-will" with ETN.

Exactly...the o-line is atrocious.***

Nov 9, 2020, 12:01 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, well, well - if it isn't ol' Coach bashing Chas Tom...

Nov 9, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Agree, coaching on the offensive side of the ball continues ]

why am I NOT surprised to see your armchair administrator posts starting to pop up after a loss ? ?

Tell us more about Dabo being a hire where we are forced to endure providing "on the job training" and how we DESERVE better ? ?

You just don't learn, do ya buddy ? ?

Pathetic.

Show me your posts after the National Championships in Tampa & San Fran.

I'll wait.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Thanks for not charging me rent

Nov 9, 2020, 2:51 PM

for all that space I'm occupying in your brain.

The fact remains: if we don't have superman at QB, our offense can't move the ball. That's coaching.

The rent I would charge you is the same amount of rent

Nov 9, 2020, 4:16 PM

I charge my next poop as it forms up.

Typical Chas Tom - Ignore & deflect.

Tell us all again about the myriad of things that are wrong with Dabo. With his coaching and his pedigree and his experience . . . ESPECIALLY about his experience.

Because all of that gives SO MUCH MORE credibility to your sad, baseless ramblings here again.

I stand by original statement - some folks never learn.

I would be willing to bet there are at least 3 times more posts on the mange board from you after the Syracuse game a few years ago and after the Pitt game.

And you might be extremely hard pressed to find any posts from you after Tampa or San Fran.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Well, well, well - if it isn't ol' Coach bashing Chas Tom...

Nov 9, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Well, well, well - if it isn't ol' Coach bashing Chas Tom... ]

You left out the LsU disaster

Re: Well, well, well - if it isn't ol' Coach bashing Chas Tom...

Nov 9, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Well, well, well - if it isn't ol' Coach bashing Chas Tom... ]

You left out the LsU disaster

What bothers me more than not being able to run

Nov 9, 2020, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Agree, coaching on the offensive side of the ball continues ]

is the unwillingness to make adjustments when the running game wasn't working. We clearly couldn't run on Notre Dame. We had well over three quarters of evidence showing us that. So what do we do, when all we need to do to win the game was get ONE first down? We ran.

I'd love to impose our will on every team, but that isn't realistic. What is realistic is to be able to make adjustments as the game dictates. You can't convince me that a play action pass, or even some safe passes over the middle of the field to a tight end or back, wouldn't have served as "runs" to keep the ball in play while also getting us some positive yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 9, 2020, 11:08 AM

Based on the title of your post we should have expected to get a safety after punting ND deep with a little under 2 minutes to play.

As the saying goes "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

Well this time we got different results. I think your problem is that they treated ND like they treated BC.

It was a different game vs a different team and could/should have been called differently.

However saying that our coaches should have known better because of previous results doesn't make any sense.

Further, if you are trying to say the coaches made the wrong call against BC then you have completely lost your mind. We punted, got a safety on the 1st defensive play and won the game because of it.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:39 PM

“If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.” – Sun Tzu

“Run three times into the heart of the defenses strength and then punt” - Coach Will Muschamp

Nov 9, 2020, 12:41 PM

Your cooties are showing.

This is worse than your original post and makes less sense.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Definition of Insanity... ]

“If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.” – Sun Tzu

“Run three times into the heart of the defenses strength and then punt” - Coach Will Muschamp

Nov 9, 2020, 11:10 AM

If we had passed the ball and they were incomplete or worse, then half the board would be calling for TE’s head for not running it. Having said that, I would have been ok with an effort to win the game. But armchair quarterbacking is fairly easy. We will be fine if we get healthy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 11:33 AM

It was actually only about 2 minutes left when we took over around mid field. ND still had all 3 of their timeouts left so obviously we needed at least 1 first down to end the game.

I was ok with running the ball on 1st down to make ND use a timeout. Think we picked up 2 yards. Would have liked to have seen a quick pass to the tight end after a fake run on 2nd but running the ball again was ok until the holding penalty happened.

It got a little weird here with ND accepting the penalty then later declining it. I thought once they declined it that the play clock would be set to 25 seconds and when it started, so should the game clock unless ND used a timeout. Well, it didn't start and a timeout was not needed.

This led to third down and around 10 I think. Sure would have liked to have seen us let DJ try to throw for it but decided to run Travis on a sweep and he inexplicably ran out of bounds.

At that point, the defense had only given up 3 points in the second half so I am sure the thinking was, "let's don't make any mistakes, pin them back deep, and rely on our defense to hold them one more time".

As someone already pointed out, this was the right strategy for BC but we were playing with fire against ND. We were losing players like flies and I think most people felt that we could not afford to go into OT and expect a good outcome.

We had so much go against us in the first half but hung in there and put ourselves in position to win the game. Kudos to the team, players and coaches, for continuing to fight to the end!! Hopefully we will get the rematch with most if not all of our first teamers back!!! Go Tigers!!!

Nov 9, 2020, 2:09 PM

Good post. Our D line doesn't get the same recognition as the O-line, but they have been playing lights out this year. Kurt Hinish tends to clog up the interior making it tough to run inside. As good as they have been, I fully expected Entienne to bust a couple runs given how good he is.

Great game by both teams. Definitely not happy that the students stormed the field. My first thought was the BC game will get cancelled. Hope I'm wrong.

It was a horrifically called series, make no mistake

Nov 9, 2020, 12:44 PM

And dont listen to these idiots that say OH YEA WELL HOW MANY NATTIES HAVE YOU WON! NEVER QUESTION THE COACHES! As if the coaching staff are infallible Gods or something. They, too, are human, and they screwed this one up. It is what it is.

We were trying to kill clock / force ND timeouts

Nov 9, 2020, 2:23 PM

Sure didn't do a good job of that though. Holding + running out of bounds = Failure. 3 and out with three runs up the middle might have won the game for us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had all 3 TO's though, so

Nov 9, 2020, 2:58 PM

they still would have gotten the ball with gracious plenty of time to work down the field on our beat-up and exhausted defense that, frankly, didnt stop them even before they were tired and beat up.

Re: They had all 3 TO's though, so

Nov 9, 2020, 4:33 PM

True but with no timeouts they wouldn't have been able to be quite as aggressive IMO.

It just was their night, but we didn't help matters on that possession to be sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 4:10 PM

...is running stretch counters in first down into against an 8-man box on first down over and over and expecting more than 2 yards.

Replies: 22
| visibility 3,046
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic