Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heart and Soul of Clemson...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,382

Heart and Soul of Clemson...

Oct 26, 2020, 3:25 PM

https://clemsontigers.com/herman-mcgee-heart-soul-of-clemson/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heart and Soul of Clemson...

Oct 26, 2020, 4:11 PM

Growing up in Clemson in the late 50'searly 60's we would get together and head down to Fike Fieldhouse to play basketball and there was always a trip by the football locker-room. As aggravating as 11 year-olds can be, Herman was always nice to us even when he was running us out of the locker-room. But before we got run out, there was always some nice swag like a use chinstrap or if we were lucky somebody might get a used practice jersey.

That's a ### good story

Oct 26, 2020, 5:01 PM

I had heard the name but didn't know the story. Glad I read it.

Oct 26, 2020, 6:09 PM

I was a freshman in 1963. Back then freshman could not play on the varsity football team. As freshmen, we played a 4-5 game schedule. I remember going up to Winston Salem to play the Wake Forest freshmen. On the way up to W-S, we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. I noticed Herman was not sitting with us. I later discovered that Herman was not allowed to be in the restaurant because of his skin color, so he had to eat in the kitchen. Being from Pennsylvania, I was shocked when I learned that.
Herman McGee was one of the nicest most caring person I had ever known. He was truly a wonderful person!!!

Oct 26, 2020, 6:10 PM

I was a freshman in 1963. Back then freshman could not play on the varsity football team. As freshmen, we played a 4-5 game schedule. I remember going up to Winston Salem to play the Wake Forest freshmen. On the way up to W-S, we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. I noticed Herman was not sitting with us. I later discovered that Herman was not allowed to be in the restaurant because of his skin color, so he had to eat in the kitchen. Being from Pennsylvania, I was shocked when I learned that.
Herman McGee was one of the nicest most caring person I had ever known. He was truly a wonderful person!!!

Before my time but

Oct 26, 2020, 6:22 PM

an excellent story about a great man. TU, and thanks for posting something worthwhile.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2020, 6:30 PM

'Ol Hummon...As the Baron would say....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2020, 7:51 PM

Thanks so much for posting. The epitome of a Clemson Man.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,382
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic