Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Returning Starters on D for 2021 vs. Our Defense against OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Returning Starters on D for 2021 vs. Our Defense against OSU

Jan 12, 2021, 10:03 AM

2021 returning starters:
KJ Henry/Mascoll
Tyler Davis
Bryan Bresee
Murphy/Thomas

Jones
Skalski
Spector

Kendrick/Goodrich
Turner
Zanders
Booth/Jones

2020 Ohio St Starters:
KJ Henry/Mascoll
Tyler Davis
Bryan Bresee
Murphy

Jones
Skalski
Spector

Kendrick/Goodrich
Turner
Zanders
Booth/Jones

Has a top 5 ranked team ever returned every starter?!?!?

We return every single starter (plus XT) from our defense that gave up 49 points to Ohio State. My guess is that all of those guys improve tremendously.

I bet we hold UGA to under 10 points to open the season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like we should go ahead and claim the 2021

Jan 12, 2021, 10:07 AM

national championship. There's no reason to play the season really.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Returning Starters on D for 2021 vs. Our Defense against OSU

Jan 12, 2021, 10:08 AM

Great poast!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Let’s hope after giving up 49 in the last game

Jan 12, 2021, 10:09 AM

That some of those aren’t starters next year. Specifically some of the linebackers and secondary. The young more talented bigger faster linebackers should see more snaps and hopefully replace some of our current starters and although I like Turner, he is limited physically and Zanders has never impressed me. We have more talented safeties on our team and I hope they end up starting.

You are nuts***

I am right, but if you don’t understand football

Jan 12, 2021, 10:25 AM

Enough to watch film and see that the young linebackers and safeties are better, then I can’t help you. Patterson, McGuire, Bentley, Allen, Swint and Simpson are more talented than Spector, Skalski, and Venables. Barry Carter may start next year as well. RJ Mickens and Greene are better at safety. If you think that our current linebackers and safeties can compete at the highest levels then you are watching the same football games I’m watching.

Just wait and see. The talent is there, whether we can coach em up or they get their opportunity is yet to be seen. Or we can just keep playing our coaches kids and watch them get abused.

Re: I am right, but if you don’t understand football

Jan 12, 2021, 10:29 AM

I am right, but if you don’t understand football

Jan 12, 2021, 10:25 AM [ in reply to You are nuts*** ]

Enough to watch film and see that the young linebackers and safeties are better, then I can’t help you. Patterson, McGuire, Bentley, Allen, Swint and Simpson are more talented than Spector, Skalski, and Venables. Barry Carter may start next year as well. RJ Mickens and Greene are better at safety. If you think that our current linebackers and safeties can compete at the highest levels then you are watching the same football games I’m watching.

Just wait and see. The talent is there, whether we can coach em up or they get their opportunity is yet to be seen. Or we can just keep playing our coaches kids and watch them get abused.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:29 AM

From what i saw in the acc championship game and down the stretch. Malcom Greene may be one of the most talented guys in the secondary. He will for sure earn a starting spot or at minimum more reps.

Nolan Turner...

Jan 12, 2021, 10:38 AM [ in reply to I am right, but if you don’t understand football ]

didn’t receive a star-rating from any of the recruiting services and if memory serves, he only had one offer (from UAB).

His relationship with Nolan's father aside, sometimes coaches have to trust their instincts. Dabo and BV both though Turner could play.

As Dabo says, you can't get distracted because maybe a guy has got a million offers but you don't see it, or you see it and he's got no offers. You've got to be convicted in what you believe.

Renfrow is a prefect example of that.

Dabo has absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Comparing Nolan Turner to Renfrow

Jan 12, 2021, 11:14 AM

Is a joke. Renfrow has NFL talent will be in the league for years and Turner won’t even get a tryout. I don’t disagree that Turner has been better than most expected but that doesn’t make him great. He is very small and has decent speed. He cannot be one step out of position because if he is he can’t make it up. I don’t dislike Turner and he is probably a great leader but he has limitations physically that our more talented guys do not. That’s just fact.

He had a lot of missed assignments in the last game as did all of our secondary.

Comparing Nolan Turner to Renfrow

Jan 12, 2021, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Nolan Turner... ]

Is a joke. Renfrow has NFL talent will be in the league for years and Turner won’t even get a tryout. I don’t disagree that Turner has been better than most expected but that doesn’t make him great. He is very small and has decent speed. He cannot be one step out of position because if he is he can’t make it up. I don’t dislike Turner and he is probably a great leader but he has limitations physically that our more talented guys do not. That’s just fact.

He had a lot of missed assignments in the last game as did all of our secondary.

I'm not comparing the players, but their recruitment***

Jan 12, 2021, 11:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 12:19 PM [ in reply to I am right, but if you don’t understand football ]

IamNut said:

Why is this so hard for so many to understand? The coaches kids are fine young men but are physically limited and better suited to an FCS program or a lower tier BCS program. Impossible to compete with Alabama using a roster filled with coaches kid's and role players that have no hope of ever moving to the next level. Geez

Zanders is like a hair in your biscuit...

Jan 12, 2021, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Let’s hope after giving up 49 in the last game ]

Always a little out of place.

Re: Let’s hope after giving up 49 in the last game

Jan 12, 2021, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Let’s hope after giving up 49 in the last game ]

In rewatching the OSU game Zanders looked completely lost on a number of plays. They were clearly targeting him.

An actual pass rush would have minimized that ...

Jan 12, 2021, 11:13 AM

if not eliminated it entirely, but the officials electing to completely ignore blatant and deliberate holding by the OSU OL insured that wasn't going to happen.

Did I miss where Nolan Turner announced what he's doing

next year?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No he hasn't announced. A lot of people just assuming he's

coming back.

null

Jan 12, 2021, 10:20 AM

We also some freshmen coming in that are good as well.

The problem with our defense against Ohio State was they saw the Virginia Tech film and they were snapping the ball before our defense got set. Teams have figured out the Venables tactic Of lining up right before the ball is snapped to prevent the offense from adjusting. Sermon had one touchdown against us where Pretty much the entire defense was on one side of the field. Alabama actually did that last night to Ohio State. Venables will have to adjust and start getting us lined up sooner. That problem was further complicated by Nolan Turner out then losing Skalski.

Venables has 9 months with all starters returning to prepare

Jan 29, 2023, 11:15 AM

for UGA, one of the worst offenses in college football.

This one will be a blood bath.

Re: Venables has 9 months with all starters returning to prepare

Jan 12, 2021, 11:24 AM

Please dont be that naive to think that...

UGA only loses 3 players on offense...2 OL and a TE...

Their biggest hit will be on Defense because they lose 5 players from their secondary alone....But dont think that they wont be prepared offensively going into Charlotte

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I have complete confidence in BV. The guy hates to get

Jan 12, 2021, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Returning Starters on D for 2021 vs. Our Defense against OSU ]

burned and when he has the entire team that got burned returning, I have every confidence that everyone will be on the same page for 2021. I'm excited to see it.

Let's also add "clean up our tackling" to the agenda for the offseason. Again, I'm confident that we will develop talent behind the starters that can cover and run the defense, but we are too good to put ourselves in that situation. Sometimes it is unavoidable but the penalty for targeting is too significant not to address it.

null

Jan 12, 2021, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Returning Starters on D for 2021 vs. Our Defense against OSU ]

The problem with the OSU game is they banked on playing us the entire season. Just watch the game before they played us and against Bama they were never really prepared that's why the 2 teams they faced with a winning record all season could have beaten them. they were preparing for a rematch with Clemson. the B1G was just so weak that they were able to do that. heck ND gave Bama a better fight than OSU. It's because they didn't take 12 months and prepare for anyone else but Clemson.

I think a bigger piece is that Justin Foster could be back and healthy! That would be huge! Also, don't be surprised if some of the younger more athletic Backers take a lot of snaps from the older guys! But we have to be better on the back end or none of it matters. Also, the DT's behind Bresee and Davis have to get better! Henry and Mascoll have to get a little heavier and stronger to set the edge, Murphy is one of the best on one side and Foster and XT could really solidify the other side if heathy and their heads are right.

Now the head scratching comes into play when you shift to the OLine, if anyone paid any attention last night Bama's oline could line up hip to hip and those five guys would reach from hash to hash and could move. We need to get to that point. Their #85 at TE was as big as a frigging guard and he could move! Also wouldn't it be nice to get one back like Harris or Henry, geez!

Jan 12, 2021, 10:47 AM

In order without much explanation:

I agree on Foster.

If the front 7 also improves then the back end will be protected more and will immediately look better.

Agree. Need more DEs who play the run well and add strength.

I have no clue what we will do on the OL, but I hope to see some shuffling and more strength.

Pace and Mafah have the size. We will see about the rest of the package.

Under 10? Huh***

Jan 12, 2021, 12:21 PM

Jan 12, 2021, 12:31 PM

Wow that’s crazy to get all the starters back. And remember our best defensive end Justin Foster missed the season and will be back in 2021. He was missed this year more than I realized. He defends the run, the read option, and pass rush is strong.

2021 season, Go Tigers!!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic