Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I try to update COVID I'm seeing in my hospital as
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

I try to update COVID I'm seeing in my hospital as

Jul 4, 2020, 11:49 AM

it's kinda hard to know what's really happening if you dont have first hand access. Not political, just what I'm seeing.

Put a post up on July 1 that our #s were up from anything I saw during the shelter in place order. Today, July 4th, we have increased from 7ish COVID pts in ICU to 3 days later having 11, including 2 deaths in last 3 days.

This is a 300 bed hospital. We have a total of 42 COVID + pts currently. This is by far the largest number, and the trend is increasing pt admissions daily.

Families are coming in together. Mom, dad, adult children all admitted and very sick. We have a 19yo in the ER on the way up who is now intubated for his COVID pneumonia. We have pts on non-monitored floors who are on high flow nasal cannulas running 40L/min and 80-100% oxygen; next step being intubation and ventilator. We are now planning to open our MASH style COVID unit on Monday. The tent constructed in the parking lot and never used for COVID intakes was deconstructed 3 wks ago, but went back up yesterday. This second wave or surge does seem to be legit.

Folks, it's not my place to tell you what to do or how to be, but please take this seriously. I don't always wear a mask hangin with friends, but I do at the store and public places mostly for others' protection. Please wash your hands and don't touch your face at minimum. Please live your life and enjoy to the fullest, but also be smart for yourself and others.

Much love to you all. Enjoy your 4th of July and someone raise a slice of Wadmalaw watermelon and a sweet tea for me.
As always, GOOO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Have a happy 4th out there Soy and stay safe!***

Jul 4, 2020, 11:52 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey SOYWALKER..saw what you majored in @ Clemson!

Jul 4, 2020, 12:32 PM

Whoa..as diverse as my majors and how different in what I ended up doing work-wise, but still very useful.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I try to update COVID I'm seeing in my hospital as

Jul 4, 2020, 12:37 PM

Some folks like to scoff at anecdotal evidence. I think it's often the best kind of evidence especially when it comes from a trusted insider source. And when the anecdotal evidence matches other but unrelated anecdotal evidence, I think such evidence is convincing.

The narrative here by a Clemson physician matches that of my physician daughter who reports that her much larger hospital is similarly inundated with seriously ill covid-19 patients. She has four covid-19 patients on ventilators right now in the ICU. She never gives up on a patient but says that she would not be surprised if one dies shortly. My daughter's patients are all near term maternity patients so they are comparatively young.

A family friend was a 61 year old nurse at a Florence hospital who died with Covid-19 issues on Tuesday of this week.

A buddy of mine's 25 year old son is sick with Covid-19 but seems to be recovering.

Roanoke Virginia is currently experiencing a surge of Covid-19 illnesses. Contact tracing indicates the illnesses are traceable to Myrtle Beach.

States many were laughing at 8 weeks ago for having high levels of infection and death are now trying to assure anyone coming into their states from NC and SC be free of a fever and remain quarantined for 2 weeks.

Meanwhile thousands of people go about their everyday lives acting like Covid-19 is a scam/plot being managed to thwart President Trump's effort at winning a second term. Clemson fans who desperately want to see Tiger football in 2020 are vowing to never wear masks and that it is no problem when the young get sick, as if no one under 50 comes into regular contact with people over 60.

Folks, it's not a political issue. I'm a conservative voter who has not voted for a democratic candidate for national office since before 1980. Covid-19 is real. It's killed at least 132,000 Americans in less than five months. Covid-19 is responsible for more dead Americans than were killed in ALL our wars since WWII. Covid-19 is responsible for 11 years worth of drunk driving deaths.

Homer Simpson cartoon this week wondering about all the conflicting information regarding the seriousness of Covid-19. Homer said, "I don't know who to believe. On one hand I have all physicians I personally know and most of the physicians in the world saying Covid-19 is real, isn't going away and is going to kill a lot more people. On the other hand I've read from a lot of people on the internet that it's fake. Tough call."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know a lot of people who still think wearing a mask won't

Jul 4, 2020, 2:29 PM

help one bit, and that the whole thing is a conspiracy to hurt Trump. I see the memes and posts from random "experts" on FB every day. I voted for Trump, and probably will again. I know the media is totally biased against him, and play up everything, including Covid, in an attempt to hurt him. That doesn't mean that Covid is not real and is not serious. People can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that both can be true. I am under the care of 2 cardiologists, one neurologist, and my personal physician. All 4 have told me within the last 2 months that wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of the disease, and have advised me to wear one. I'm going with them over Facebook.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I try to update COVID I'm seeing in my hospital as

Jul 4, 2020, 2:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write these updates. It's very helpful to hear from a reliable voice.

I talked to a friend today who is a doctor at MUSC. He hasn't been worried too much over the last two months but said the last few days have been concerning. His biggest worry is that beds are filling up fast and people on the front lines are working overtime. At the same time, the backlog on testing has gone from 3-4 days earlier this week to 7-8 days now, and the rate of tests coming back positive keeps rising. Basically means that the peak here in Charleston isn't yet in sight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing. Being a nurse and living on the SD border (TJ)

Jul 4, 2020, 2:26 PM

I find your updates very useful. Please continue to provide more info as you have it. Enjoy your 4th and thanks for what you do not the from lines

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much like wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle,

Jul 4, 2020, 4:59 PM

it would appear that wearing a mask lowers testosterone levels? So the relaxation on physical distancing and mask wearing is not the reason for the skyrocketing rise in infections and now hospitalizations? It must be related to the fact that we aren't seeing temps outside in the high 90's or even 100. Come on people. It's really not that big of an inconvenience to protect others. The rise in infections and hospitalizations has everything to do with our behavior. Fortunately medical professionals have learned a lot. Remdesivir, anticoagulants, dexamethasone and plasma infusions have all helped to keep the death rate/ hospitalization ratio more favorable than it otherwise would be.This should not be a political issue. I have never voted for a Democratic candidate for President and will not this November. Assuming wearing a mask, physically distancing and using good hygiene is somehow a left wing plot to take your freedom away is an interesting assumption. Assuming one did all these things, what would you have lost? I want schools open, businesses open, stadiums open. If we don't get with the program, our freedoms will be taken away by executive actions of Governor McMaster, which however well intentioned, bother the hell out of me. I retired as a physician after more than 3 decades in practice. I operated on many HIV positive and Hepatitis C positive patients. I'm NOT afraid of COVID-19. We have the means to lessen the rate of spread and prevent our hospitals from being overly taxed, prevent folks from not seeking out of fear necessary maintenance health care and lessen the risk to health care workers. I sure as hell can't make anyone do what even Mike Pence and the conservative governors of FL and TX are begging folks to do. I just don't understand the resistance to these simple acts.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Soy. For a multitude of things. Lots of LOVE to you

Jul 4, 2020, 4:36 PM

from the whole Clemson Family.

And keep the updates coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic