Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In the '60s, what was the name of my dormitory?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

In the '60s, what was the name of my dormitory?

Jan 29, 2020, 4:37 PM

If you started from the loggia and walked across the quad (cafeteria on the right) and went down toward the drive-through underpass, you passed a dormitory on the right that connected to the dorms above the drive-through. Prety sure it no longer is there, but what was the name of that dormitory?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the '60s, what was the name of my dormitory?

Jan 29, 2020, 4:41 PM

The 60s were before my time (I'm a late 80s guy), but I assume you are talking about Johnstone, although I do not remember which section.

Great description of location & can see it..

Jan 29, 2020, 4:43 PM

but don’t know the name. Sorry!

Oh, John C Calhoun & Thomas Clemson might know since they lived in the fine 2-story place across the street.

LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great description of location & can see it..

Jan 29, 2020, 5:26 PM

from D-603 I could look out the window each and every day to see the Calhoun mansion.lived on that hall for 3 yrs('64 to '67).a lot of good memories.last year was in the newer brick wing across from the PO and the dining hall.saved a lot of steps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 29, 2020, 9:13 PM

from D-603 I could look out the window each and every day to see the Calhoun mansion.lived on that hall for 3 yrs('64 to '67).a lot of good memories.last year was in the newer brick wing across from the PO and the dining hall.saved a lot of steps.

D - 603 as well ... 75 & 76

Jan 30, 2020, 3:19 PM

you may or may not have noticed,but there must have been a new door emblem,because I appropriated the original one for my collection of CU memorabilia upon leaving the hall.it was removed after one long night spent at lester's tiger den followed by the better part of a 5th of rebel yell.not sure why,but it seemed like a good idea that it should be rmoved from the door.it sits on my desk as I type.at some point i'll try to get a photo put on t-net.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 29, 2020, 4:45 PM

Johnstone D. Lived there 3 years

Jan 29, 2020, 4:47 PM

Thanks - after seeing the picture posted on the China hospital construction thread of Johnstone under construction, I thought that was it, but not sure.... only was there for my rat year before moving off-campus.

It wasn't D,,,D was on the west side, facing Fort Hill.

Jan 30, 2020, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: In the '60s, what was the name of my dormitory? ]

Last one on the right, as you walked towards the P-plant, was New F in 1968; I lived on D4 my frosh year, not sure of exact number, something like 412, we could look out window at Fort Hill

If I recall correctly, in 1968, new A with the brick honeycomb, was the one up closest to Tillman. They made a U shape, in alphabetical order, ending with New F, which would be the one closest to Riggs Field.

I moved to A for my soph year, then went uptown to the highrises for my jr and sr years. In fact, my serion year, we stayed in the third highrise, which was to be a girl's dorm, but was still undergoing some finish work, so they didn't want girls in it, with construction workers going in and out all day.

Can't even remember the name of that 3rd highrise...the first two were Manning and Lever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Johnston F Annex***

Jan 29, 2020, 4:45 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Johnston F Annex***

What is the “ the tin cans -Alex”

Message was edited by: EssoClub2®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ this. F. ***

Jan 29, 2020, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Johnston F Annex*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

New F was a desirable dorm***

Jan 29, 2020, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Johnston F Annex*** ]

It was concrete block, not metal

Jan 29, 2020, 6:25 PM

Re: New F was a desirable dorm***

Jan 29, 2020, 6:36 PM [ in reply to New F was a desirable dorm*** ]

I lived in F-224 my senior year (65-66). Wasn't F an all senior section of the dorms? Lived in C-821 my freshman year, and recently located my roommate from that year, in New Jersey, and we had a good talk.
Middle two years I lived in an off-campus house.....much quieter!

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in New F my second year - not all seniors -

Jan 29, 2020, 8:24 PM

had the lattice work attached to the ledge outside the windows so no view at all. One night a bunch of guys ( not including me of course) placed lots of crumpled newspaper outside a guy's room on the ledge and set it on fire at the same time lighter fluid was lit up under his doorway. His screams were much louder than the ones we ( I meant "they")made in the hallway to wake him up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Johnston F Annex*** ]

I lived in E 5 my senior year and it was right at the cafeteria entrance where rotc was located
Those were the days!

Jan 29, 2020, 8:40 PM

I was on F-5 Annex in 82-83. A lot of the Golf team was also on the hall. Easy in and out of the post office and Harcomb.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Johnstone. They were all connected...I lived in D for a year. There was C, E, F Annex...all connected. Hell the rooms were connected...you could climb up in your little cubbyhole above the closet, remove the plywood, and go nextdoor.

It's all gone now...condemned and demolished.

Jan 29, 2020, 4:55 PM

Isn’t section A still there?

Jan 29, 2020, 5:15 PM

Johnstone F 'tin can' I believe.

Jan 29, 2020, 5:22 PM

The underpass was below Johnstone D3 (D328 actually.....lived there). The "dorm" to the right before you went through the underpass was also Johnstone, but it was E. It had a short section and then turned back parallel to the road and along the post office boxes (also E) and then turned to F.

Exactly...

Jan 29, 2020, 6:31 PM

I lived in that short section (2nd floor) that was perpendicular to the street (to the right). When you came up the stairs from outside and turned down the short section, my room was the first one on the left, looking out at the tunnel..... good room if I remember correctly.

Re: Exactly...

Jan 29, 2020, 8:39 PM

You lived in E201. First (of only two) room immediately after entering. I spent 3 years in E202 in the early 70's. Best 2 rooms in Johnstone...

Jan 29, 2020, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Re: In the '60s, what was the name of my dormitory? ]

Your description is not succinct enough. If you were going to the left from the Upper Quad you were going under B/C sections of Johnstone. If you went to the lower quad, the overpass was to the left and that went under Section D and turned into Section E on the right. if you went right on the lower Quad and walked down past the North entry to Section E, that over pass was F over pass. Directly behind you was New F, which had A/C and individual bathrooms in 1969. Beyond New F was the Frat Dorms. I hope that helps you understand the Johnstone Complex layout. One could stagger back from downtown, past the BJ students handing out flyers and go up three steps to B-6. Then could walk, after a fashion all the way to E-6 Without having to climb more stairs.
This is the voice of experience.

His description was right on -

Jan 29, 2020, 9:03 PM

Walking with cafeteria on your right would be toward Death Valley & New F would be the only dorm appearing on your right as you approached the drive through on D section- I lived in C to the left , D across road from smokestack and New F in different years

And New F certainly did not have individual bathrooms in 1967 when I lived directly across the hallway from the group bathroom with stalls and large shower just like the rest of the tin cans. Don't think there was enough room to add individual baths later - rooms just had 2 small closets one on each side as you entered the room

Message was edited by: clover65®

Jan 29, 2020, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: In the '60s, what was the name of my dormitory? ]

Lived on D3 1962-64. The question is well described and the answer is E.

Jan 29, 2020, 6:32 PM

"E"

Jan 29, 2020, 6:34 PM

When i was there in 68 it was called “new F.” I was on bottom floor. Lots of palmetto bugs. It was air conditioned too.

Message was edited by: lthom022®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Jan 29, 2020, 6:35 PM

My roommate & I lived on the first floor of that dorm from '63 to'67. Our room number was 101. The only name I ever remember calling it was the "Tin cans" It was the hottest place in the summer especially when your room was facing west. We had no A/C, and we had box fans to keep the hot air circulating. When it got to hot to sleep, we went down to the air conditioned lounge at the end of the hall and slept in the chairs.
It brings back many memories!!!

Jan 29, 2020, 6:40 PM

Guys in the lower rooms of Section F by the overpass used to sneak girls into and out of their rooms. I say the females leaving when I went to pick up my newspapers to deliver.

Yes....

Jan 29, 2020, 6:47 PM

I heard of one referred to as the "White Rat" - who was reportedly brought in and out in a foot locker.

I lived on F-5 and there was a drive under below our part

Jan 29, 2020, 7:15 PM

about floors down. This is the part of F-5 that bordered Johnstone D. This part of Faced south, while the other part of F faced west.

Sorry for all the typos. Doing too many things at once. The

Jan 29, 2020, 7:25 PM

drive under was about three floors down from that part of F-5.

I was on F5 fall of 81***

Jan 30, 2020, 10:33 AM [ in reply to I lived on F-5 and there was a drive under below our part ]

Jan 29, 2020, 7:30 PM

Johnstone F Annex.
I lived on level 5 in 83-84.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

If tnet had the gonads to require

Jan 29, 2020, 7:34 PM

Tnetter to list their real names I could probably answer your question. In those days everyone knew everyone!

Was the 6th floor the only one that was in every section?

Jan 29, 2020, 8:30 PM

Was thinking you could walk to any section only on one floor? Can’t remember exactly. Think only 6th but may have been 7th?

Re: Was the 6th floor the only one that was in every section?

Jan 30, 2020, 9:44 PM

Yes, at least from C to D to E to F. Pretty sure that means B & A also were on that level.

Johnstone D-632 was my room in 1981 and the path below D-3 was there.

Go Tigers!!!

Jan 29, 2020, 8:40 PM

The one on the right was Johnson’s E, lived there as a Soph. The one above and to the left was Johnstone D, lived there as a Freshman.

It never ceases to amaze me how many TNetters

Jan 30, 2020, 4:30 AM

close to my age can remember dorms, room numbers, etc.

I can recall living on a top floor in the tin cans my freshman year, 1965-66, and could look out my window to the middle of the quad and loggia with the cafeteria on the left. But I can't recall where I lived my sophomore and junior years and "think" I lived my senior year on the top floor of the cans facing Ft, Hill, which connected to the activity center above the loggia. Among other activities I was a Hall Monitor my junior year and a Hall Supervisor my senior year, and you'd think I should remember where! lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It never ceases to amaze me how many TNetters

Jan 30, 2020, 7:49 AM

B-902 for me. I thought it was B-901 for a long time, but after finding my old Rat Hat, it clearly said B-902.

:) Never forget. LOL

Jan 30, 2020, 8:10 AM

F403 . You could drive under it. I will not mention the toilet paper wars on Thursday Nights.

Dang thought I partied big time but always remembered dorm.

Jan 30, 2020, 9:57 AM

Albeit sometimes the morning after.

SO - in SUMMARY of the above - your dorm was UNQUESTIONNABLY

Jan 30, 2020, 10:08 AM

known as:

Johnstone DEF-AnnexFTinCan

Glad we could all help - why we all love TNet and the Clemson Family ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

It is amazing that such highly educated

Jan 30, 2020, 4:01 PM

people can read the same question and come up with this many differing answers- most of which were completely wrong. Put the only dining hall that existed in the mid- 60’s on your right as you walk across the quad guys

Jan 30, 2020, 3:24 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you walked out of the Post Office, you were facing E3 at

Jan 30, 2020, 5:31 PM

ground level parallel to the road to your left. You could walk down stairs to the right of E and get to a small parking lot (just a handfull of spaces) with a drive through under F. If you walked down the road along and and made a right, you went under another part of Johnstone, which I believe was D. This is probably the drive under you are referencing. The dorm on your right here is Johnstone E-section.

Re: Historical pictures

Jan 30, 2020, 6:11 PM

Some nice historical pics here:
The construction ones are interesting.

https://digitalcollections.clemson.edu/search-results/?k=subjecttopic%3A%22johnstone%20hall%20%22&pagetokens=xapian-YToxOntpOjA7YTo1OntzOjM6ImNvcCI7TjtzOjI6Im9wIjtOO3M6NToidmFsdWUiO3M6MTU6ImpvaG5zdG9uZSBoYWxsICI7czo0OiJ0eXBlIjtzOjI6IkxTIjtzOjU6ImZpZWxkIjtzOjEyOiJzdWJqZWN0dG9waWMiO319%7EczowOiIiOw%3D%3D%7EYToxOntpOjA7czo1OiJmYWNldCI7fQ%3D%3D%7EYToxOntpOjA7czoxOiIqIjt9%7EYTowOnt9%7E100%7Edate%7E100

Boomer house***

Jan 30, 2020, 9:43 PM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic