Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Herbstreet just said he prefers the BCS to the CFP.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Herbstreet just said he prefers the BCS to the CFP.

Dec 19, 2020, 10:20 AM

Well, the BCS had the most ridiculous formula, that pretty much had a good shot for both teams being from the SEC.

I disagree with Herbstreet. Unless you were Bama or LSU, most everyone else hated the BCS. The playoff at least gives four teams a shot at the CFP title. The teams are usually conference champions with the four teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Herbstreet just said he prefers the BCS to the CFP.

Dec 19, 2020, 10:34 AM

BCS put too much value on the polls. Great for $EC, not great for others.

Do we really want Greg Doyell and John Wilmer deciding our postseason? Or the coaches (read, grad student intern film assistants) rating us in the Coaches poll?

No thanks.

I'm actually fine with an 8-team playoff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

both systems are nebulous and subjective

Dec 19, 2020, 10:34 AM

The only sport where teams are determined by people instead of performance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Four conference champions are not nebulous. The BCS

Dec 19, 2020, 10:43 AM

was a terrible path to a National Champion, and only two teams were able to participate in the title process.

Re: both systems are nebulous and subjective

Dec 19, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to both systems are nebulous and subjective ]

Except Gymnastics, Diving, Boxing, etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 teams is just an incredible compromise. The goal

Dec 19, 2020, 10:39 AM

is to find the #1 team. And 4 teams is plenty to determine the #1 team. 2 teams (like the BCS) is generally enough most years, but there are a few years where 2 is not enough.

8 teams would be incredible TV, but that would not be any better in determining a champion. I would love 8 teams, don't get me wrong, it would be just awesome to watch. It would also allow for some massive regular season games.

But, if you're looking for the best formula... You generally only need 2 or 3 teams, but 4 teams is plenty.

I prefer the current 4 team CFP. I posted yesterday that a

Dec 19, 2020, 10:47 AM

6 team CFP, with the #1 and #2 seeds getting a first round bye, and the #3 through #6 would play for the #3 and #4 spots in the four team CFP.

Expanded playoff would make for awesome TV. But 4 teams is

Dec 19, 2020, 10:49 AM

plenty to determine a champion.

Just depends on what the goal is. If entertainment is the goal, then 8 teams would be awesome.

Re: No 1st Round Byes To Use As An Excuse To Be Flat ---

Dec 19, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to I prefer the current 4 team CFP. I posted yesterday that a ]

1 and 2....get your ARSSES out there and play.

I would like to see them add a clause in the next CFP

Dec 19, 2020, 10:39 AM

contract that says only one team per conference gets in, period. Then, all this SEC constant carping about them deserving two teams in the playoff because their conference is "so tough" can be thrown in the trash where it belongs. You play a regular season to determine your conference champion. That team is your representative for playoff consideration. Period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feel like we barely ever get 4 worthy teams. The CFP still

Dec 19, 2020, 10:46 AM

gets the 2 best, at least, usually 3, and more often than not, one team that doesn't belong. In an expanded playoff, #5-8 would probably just be a play-in to get beat by an unworthy #4. It gets silly after a while...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feel like we barely ever get 4 worthy teams. The CFP still

Dec 19, 2020, 10:57 AM

True. In a lot of years we see a big drop off after the top 4.

I like the idea of major conf Champs getting in plus allowing for teams like Cincinnati or Coastal from this year.

I heard on the radio (I think it was Packer) saying schools will likely agree to expand CFP due to the payday after the hit they've all taken this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2020, 10:48 AM

Dabo has said, and I agree, the goal is to find the best team in college football. To that end, the current system has been a success. I will add that CU was the better tea, but Bama beat us in first match so since that’s the measuring stick we use, they were crowned champs. Still, the two best teams were in that final game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2020, 10:59 AM

He prolly prefers "smoke signals" over cell phones too.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2020, 11:15 AM

Everyone agrees with the 4 team format until one day Clemson becomes a 5 or 6 team... And the perceived 4 team is deemed not worthy or had a bad loss.

I vote 8. Had this been a normal season, good chance you end up with 4 conference champions, we'd have been one and then an undefeated non conference team ND that beat us. Easily could have ended up with a loss to ND would have knocked us out.

There would be biatching non stop on tnet to expand playoff.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 Conference Champions And 3 At Large Slots ---

Dec 19, 2020, 11:20 AM

Now you have the play-off 8.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic