Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One of the worst years with WRs in dabo era
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

One of the worst years with WRs in dabo era

Nov 2, 2020, 12:14 AM

Cornell Powell leading WR saturday? He's been mop up duty for almost 5 years now. He did really good dont get me wrong, we needed Powell to make 5th year SR type plays and he definitely made 5th year SR type plays Saturday but when you have him as our leading WR something IS wrong. Huge concern going forward. Dont think its lack of coaching but lack of development/trust by individual players (Ngata, Ladson). Ngata has been ghosted by the coaching staff after rave reviews from dabo last year. Ladson has been given many chances but lost trust from coaches after so many drops and was passed by true FR EJ wlliams this past Saturday on the depth chart. This is the first year since 2009 That we havent had a legitimate over the top WR that would catch 50/50 passes (2010-16 Nuk, SW, Allen(TE), Bryant, Williams. 2017-19 Higgins, Ross, Leggett(TE), Cain.) Amari is great but not going to Mike Williams DBs in the national championship, just doesnt have the size. Maybe Ngata or Ajou will emerge towards the championship phase of the season but it is a concern going forward.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of the worst years with WRs in dabo era

Nov 2, 2020, 12:19 AM

On the other hand, it's certainly nice to have Etienne catching the ball well.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 2, 2020, 12:51 AM

Agree. That catch by ETN on sideline was a WRU type catch. He has significantly improved since FR year. Remember when he would drop all of those easy screen plays or easy drop off passes out of the backfield? Very frustrating at the time (especially when KB was the QB) but paid off now as he was 2nd leading WR saturday.

Nov 2, 2020, 12:21 AM

Our talent at the position is elite . Just give it a little time . Remember , not every kid who comes heralded gets to this level and explodes .
Ngata , Williams , Rodgers , Powell , Ladson and Ajou are all legitimate and we will see that as this season progresses .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

So, what I get from Tigernet is that

Nov 2, 2020, 12:22 AM

our wide receivers and offensive line blow. With that combination, we shouldn't be able to score more than 10 points per game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, what I get from Tigernet is that

Nov 2, 2020, 12:32 AM

Its bad right now and im not sure how many can disagree. At least not like what we're use to seeing. If you were Trevor/DJ who would you trust to throw a 50/50 ball to right now? Amari is #1 but behind him? Galloway maybe? very questionable. Like i said in the original post, someone may emerge as the championship phase begins but its concerning right now.

No, it’s not bad right now. Not even close to bad.

Nov 2, 2020, 9:01 AM

Get some perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 2, 2020, 12:24 AM

Worst wideout group since 2010. Not even close. Ngata and Ladson need to prove something soon. Get healthy and prove something. We need it to have a great season

Nov 2, 2020, 1:39 AM

These guys will get better and there’s too much talent for one not to emerge ... perfect example is Justin Ross his freshman year... he was very mediocre at best and blew up the last few games including title
Game ... one will step up , ppl are forgetting besides amari it’s a fairly new group , even Galloway ... with 4 new starters on the line, this offense will gel when it matters most we see it every year . I’ve been pleased with the run blocking of the o line but we def need to improve in the run blocking... ETN seems like he never has much room and makes things happen on his own

Nov 2, 2020, 4:37 AM

Our 5* LT was bullrushed into the QB by a man 70 lbs lighter, wasn't juked or faked, he just loafed on the play (we were in the process of getting our ##### kicked when he took his nap)

Somebody has to burst out

Nov 2, 2020, 2:18 AM

Gotta hope one or two of Ngata, Ladson, EJ Williams goes next level very soon.

Posts like the OP drives me nuts...

Nov 2, 2020, 5:52 AM

Has the OP not been keeping up with the injuries we have had at receiver?

The reason Ladson did not play against BC is that he got a hip pointer injury at practice this past week and could not go Saturday. Dabo said he expects Ladson to be ready for ND. So Ladson was not benched for dropping balls or anything else. Ladson has dropped a few but he has also made some clutch catches as well so lay off the kid - he is special.

As for Ngata - he has had a nagging abdominal injury that caused him to miss the first 4 games of the season. He is still getting back into "game shape" while continuing to fight through the remnants of that injury.

So no, we don't have major problems at WR from a trust and development perspective. The ONLY issue we do have at WR is injuries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Posts like the OP drives me nuts...

Nov 2, 2020, 8:27 AM

I'm convinced we have the worst fans in college football reading the Tigernet forums. Posts like the OP are pretty common here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

topic could have been worded differently, but we are missing

Nov 2, 2020, 9:16 AM

a Tee Higgins, Mike Williams type receiver. Perhaps Ngata is it, but we don't know yet. We have been super spoiled, but it is a legitimate concern if your goal is winning a title. Need that 50/50 ball deep field threat, corner of end zone or sideline guy. Hopefully they get healthy and confident.

Re: Posts like the OP drives me nuts...

Nov 2, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Posts like the OP drives me nuts... ]

Last year we averaged 288 passing yards per game. This year we are averaging 341 passing yards per game. People see what they want to see sometimes

Nov 2, 2020, 6:03 AM

I suggest we sneak Higgins and Williams in this week as walk-ons. And for good measure Big Dex for the D!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry- but this is a ridiculous complaint.

Nov 2, 2020, 7:39 AM

I think our top 4 WR this season should have been Ross, Rodgers, Ngata, and Ladson.

Three of those four were out last week (the best one is out for the year). Rodgers, the one who played, was great as usual.

Nothing wrong at all with a senior (Powell) blossoming. If you follow this program, you’ve seen it before.

So we’ve had to count on a lot of guys to really step up, and are 7-0 and #1 in the country.

Enjoy it, folks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Ajou will develop into a great talent.***

Nov 2, 2020, 7:48 AM

Nov 2, 2020, 8:21 AM

To be fair, most of our WR haven't really balled out until their Jr. years - with the exception of Ross, who would doing that thius year if not for his neck problem.

Our young guys will come around as the year progresses. In the meantime, we are finding open areas underneath for ETN, the TEs, and Amari & Powell. We are doing fine.

I agree, that by the playoffs we need someone who can help spread the field more. We'll get there.

Nov 2, 2020, 8:41 AM

Spoiled.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:20 AM

THIS ***

Should be POTD

Nov 2, 2020, 8:51 AM

I disagree completely!
2020: Passing is 67% completion at 15.4ypc and 341ypg
2019: Passing was 64%, 12.7ypc and 288ypg
2018: Passing was 64%, 12.0ypc and 278ypg

We are BETTER! Now, some of that is TL's improvement which tracks basically identically but that means that the WR has stayed consistent. Actually you might point to ETNs yac as a big reason for the spike but that is still WRU at work. Still, ETN is not accounting for a nearly 70ypg jump in passing yards (or is he).

I do think that not having Ross hurts... as that kinda hurts our other WRs. That Ross/Tee combo only works when you have two lethal options because no team has two corners to cover both of that (and then we stilled has other options too. But we now have MORE options deeper. Name another school that would be down their #1 target and then expect to see a boon in passing stats.

Our WR (outside of the Ross circus catches) have been stout workmen get-thejob-done-better-with-less-flash. A few awesome catches just I think TLs improved accuracy limits the highlight reel

Nov 2, 2020, 8:55 AM

We have great talent in WR group. We only played 5 I think against BC. I believe the plan is only to play the most reliable and experienced with DJ at QB

I’m In the minority but I’m liking our passing options

Nov 2, 2020, 9:05 AM

I’m not going to argue that we aren’t quite as good at WR as previous years. That list of receivers over the past decade is just ridiculous. It’s just unfortunate that Ross is injured this year. And as mentioned above, you are picking a game that had both Ngata and Ladson banged up.

Having a senior step up (Powell) is not something to be negative about. It was awesome to see. Rodgers is playing great. We have a great TE receiving threat in Galloway and even Allen has shown he can catch. ETN’s receiving skills are off the chart this year. I just think our receiving options are better this year even if WR is not quite as strong.

Add to all that that a true freshman was running the offense so I’m sure he’s not using the whole offense. I was happy with what I saw. Next week we should have Ngata and Ladson back and we will be near full strength on offense for DJ to use.

null

Nov 2, 2020, 10:17 AM

In one game alone, 18 players caught a pass. 18 !!!

How many teams have 18 players catch a pass in a season?

FALSE. TRUTH: Our WRs caught everything thrown at them

Nov 2, 2020, 10:27 AM

Saturday and were a huge part of the success of both DJ and our team overall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Nov 2, 2020, 11:05 AM

Who could imagine that with 3 of the top 5 WRs on our roster missing the game Saturday we would be able to put up around 200 yards through the air to just the WRs?

We had 3 5-star WR out from the game with injury and the guys on the field were still lights out!

How are you concerned based on that performance?

Nov 2, 2020, 12:13 PM

Last year Clemson's top 3 wide receivers averaged 164 yards per game. This year they are averaging 160 yards per game so far.

EYE Test on Receivers... and ETN as pass catcher.

Nov 2, 2020, 2:57 PM

First, it does feel that the receivers aren’t doing as well as perceived (eye test) but stats show otherwise and we are ahead in YPC.

Second, ETN is getting ridiculous (as against Buckeyes) in his taking a pass and taking it to the house..as he did Saturday.

AND, that 20+ yard catch by ETN on sideline near Clemson bench was a beauty to behold especially since the two Dbacks were closing fast..and DJU gets credit too for placing it perfectly.

We are in good shape!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic