Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties

Jan 13, 2021, 8:01 AM

Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties

Clemson had turnover at safety this season and had another All-American honoree. Big plays surrendered went up as well in a mixed season for the group. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties

Jan 13, 2021, 9:30 AM

I've seen a lot said about how slow Turner is, but he outgraded the rest of the safeties by a wide margin. He also outgraded almost all of the rest of the defense. I think Myles Murphy may be the only player who graded better.

It's almost like a handful of bad plays

Jan 13, 2021, 9:36 AM

doesn't define an entire season.

??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 9:42 AM

Do we really plan on playing Barrett Carter at safety? He is listed as a LB on recruiting sites, but he’s also supposed to be an athletic freak, so I guess I can see safety to add some depth and to get him on the field early (LB groups will all be really deep next year). That was just a surprise to me. I think I assumed he would slide into Isaiah Simmons old position. Having both Barrett Carter at Safety and Trenton Simpson at SAM on the field at the same time will be a lot of fun to watch.

Go Tigers!

Jan 13, 2021, 9:58 AM

Simpson has to do better. While he did well on sacks and TFL, he graded out the lowest of all linebackers.

He needs more experience, but he has speed and playmaking

Jan 13, 2021, 10:05 AM

ability that we have been sorely lacking at LB.

Jan 13, 2021, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties ]

First of all the PFF grades are mostly trash because they are completely guessing on what players are supposed to do on a given play, but they make for an easy way for those writing the article to have evidence to back up saying that someone did well or did poorly which I understand.

Secondly, much of Simpson's grade is largely affected by the huge number of snaps he played against ND in the first meeting.

It wasn't a shock that he was thrown in the fire for that game and was still trying to figure out what he was supposed to be doing in the defense.

Add that to the fact that he had to go from playing 10 plays per game to playing around 80 and he was likely gassed for the better part of the 2nd half when he was blowing assignments and not getting the job done quite as well as expected.

You can trust that Simpson is a huge asset to our defense regardless of what PFF says about his freshman season.

Jan 13, 2021, 9:55 AM

Looking at this ... Mickey Conn was hired in Jan 2017 ... since his arrival the defensive backfield has progressively gotten worse. This can't all be blamed on less havoc from the defensive line.

Is this something the Coach V and DS look at coming up?

Jan 13, 2021, 12:07 PM

Does this grade take in the fact that most of our safeties seem to struggle at tackling. I am hoping Carter is as good as mentioned and he takes over the strong side by the uga game if not I know who i would pick on in the Ugay game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 12:26 PM

+1. Great point on tackling. Add speed issues. A rough year for safeties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties ]

You can start being upset now because Carter will not be starting in the 1st game of the season next year.

Jan 13, 2021, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties ]

Defensive backs have "progressively gotten worse" is an actual comment following an article stating that only a year ago Clemson had the #4 pass defense in the country (how high were we before #4 to progressively get worse?) and lost 3 safeties to the NFL after that season.

The article (about safeties) didn't mention that Clemson also lost a CB who was drafted in the 1st round as well.

It's almost like we should have expected a little drop off after losing 4 guys on the back end who were 2-3 year starters and NFL talents (2 first rounders).

We also lost 2 games this season and had a starting safety missing at least for a half of each of those games.

Jan 13, 2021, 1:32 PM

Well said, we knew going into the season there would be some drop off on the back end. We lost some good players with a lot of experience.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2021, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Final grades: Mixed bag for Tigers after roles shift with safeties ]

The same can be said for Hall as well. Not impressed with either coach’s ability to develop talent. Both coaches were spoonfed ready made players development wise with Reed (safeties prior time Conn’s hire) and Hobby/Bates (prior to Hall’s hire).

D+/C-***

Jan 13, 2021, 1:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D+/C-***

Jan 13, 2021, 4:34 PM

Agreed. C+ really feels like an inflated grade.

Jan 13, 2021, 6:27 PM

Might be time to cut short the "Friends & Family Plan" when it comes to recruiting Safeties.

Jan 13, 2021, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: D+/C-*** ]

Might be time to cut short the "Friends & Family Plan" when it comes to recruiting Safeties.

Jan 14, 2021, 8:55 AM

Pressure is the key to BV defense. If the QB must throw fast, the routes are short or perimeter. Must have sure tackling. If D ends go too wide/deep and middle is not collapsed, good QB steps up, has 2 more seconds. Vs zone this means a completion.

Corners must stay inside (leverage) and tight. Must disrupt at line then stay with their man. Safeties must not bite early. Must be willing to take a penalty rather than give up a completion.

If each player does his job, it works. If someone gets fooled, a good QB (ND, BC, OSU) will have a good day.

It all starts with up front pressure and disrupting QB/Receiver timing.

Elite receivers will make contested catches. Not much we can do about that.

The good news is back 7 will be deeper, experienced, angry in 2021 and D line will have another year to get bigger and faster. I don’t see a drop off anywhere.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic