Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense

Jan 23, 2020, 3:12 PM

Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense

Taking a look back at the 2019 campaign for the Clemson offense with analysis and grades on the standout performances and the issues that kept the group from reaching its potential. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All grades sounded pretty good & fair to me..

Jan 23, 2020, 3:21 PM

even if padded a - or a +.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think of all the players we lost after last season

Jan 23, 2020, 3:48 PM

we missed Hunter Renfrow the most. We just weren't as good all season on third downs without him out there.

And it really bit us in the national championship game. We couldn't get it done on 3rd down.

Re: I think of all the players we lost after last season

Jan 23, 2020, 8:32 PM

Biggest difference on the offense. When we needed a first down, he was sorely missed.

While talked about a lot, his ability to gain separation was the most underrated aspect of the 2015-2018 offense.

Re: TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense

Jan 23, 2020, 6:33 PM

Not sure how you give TE a B... that position was basically irrelevant until Galloway came back.

Jan 23, 2020, 7:53 PM

I think you have to include blocking help for that grade. I feel that's Chalk's strength, and Price, a converted LB, definitely had some key blocks through the year, even lining up at a pseudo-fullback some.

Jan 23, 2020, 8:31 PM

Still a C at best. TE has disappeared from the team as a positive position

Jan 24, 2020, 6:25 AM

You may be correct with a C. Just saying maybe the justification for the B included blocking. The criteria for the grade was not very detailed in that regard.

Jan 23, 2020, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense ]

That also caught my eye. Didn't think there were a whole lot of contributions from the TEs this year.

Jan 23, 2020, 8:52 PM

My grade for 2019 Tigers is A-

Jan 23, 2020, 11:22 PM

The grades were fair and honest imo. Although, I'd really like to see the grading on the TE position. For example, a further breakdown on missed assignments for blocking. I would also like to know if the routes ran by each receiver including the TE were busts or not.

I remember in the 80's there was grading each week for offense and Defense from the coaches. Maybe that isn't a metric anymore.

Back on TE, to give a grade, how many passes were made vs how many targets. What stood out to me the last two seasons is the lack of targets to TE, why?

Would be nice an assesment and grades for the coaches. The wru seemed to struggle getting separation unless inferior competition. C- vs quality competition for wru. Is that skill or coaching? Idk- y I'm asking.

Defense grade - A++ CBV should get coach of the year for what he did with the talent he had.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2020, 11:33 PM

Yep. I think in post season WRU would get a C and in the regular season I would say A-. Tee was totally dominant in the regular season.

You gotta think Dabo and co. are going to be busy analysing and remedying what occurred with the breakdown in WR performance in the post season. IMO it’s simply some first round DB’s coming out and jamming them and being very physical, and they weren’t ready. But it’s interesting that we had 2 weeks after the Fiesta Bowl when the OSU DB’s gave them a real whoopin’ and we sort of did the same thing. Gotta look at that and find out why and get that remedied. Cause it certainly wasn’t an issue in 2018.

Jan 24, 2020, 10:03 PM

You got it - look at the great highlights and you see a lot of wide open or poorly contested catches - not what you saw in the playoffs. We need others in the ACC to step up and push us. I know Trevor was very inaccurate but those DB's used us in both games plus in the "natty" last year we caught everything, like OSU did to us this year. This year we caught basically nothing.
Great and historic two-year run so not to be taken for granted but in the end we left a lot out on the field.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2020, 12:19 AM

What a joke!

Quarterback A- ... Please!

Our QB Trevor Lawrence sat on the sideline while North Carolina almost beat us with a 2 pt conversion. Under pressure in the only two games against elite defenses, he was only around 50% (above OSU, below LSU) comp%

Trevor sat on the sideline with the game on the line and OSU throwing a pick to end it in the Clemson end zone

Trevor and offense was slaughtered 35-8 in the Natty closing after jumping to a 17-7 lead!

QUARTERBACK ... C+ ... Mark this!

I simply refused to read the rest of that nonsense and give the Units these grades!

QB ... C+ ... 46% Completions against LSU
Point: Trevor needs 60%+ comps under press in the big games in 2020 (ND, NC, OSU, AL) to win another Natty before going pro ...
RB ... B ... Best grade on the team
OL ... B- ... Allowed too much pressure in
TE ... B- ... a Kind score
WR ... B- ... Too many dropped balls

Defense Grades:
DL ... C+ ... Missing that 2018 line
LBs ... B+ ... Isaiah (A+) almost makes it an A
CB ... T ... T is for Toast ... We need to recruit much much better at CB ... On a true grade here, I give them a C+ along with Safeties and that’s being kind.

Scoring defense was #3 in country

Jan 24, 2020, 4:03 AM

and you give them these grades? Are you basing your grades on last year's defense? If so, I doubt any future defenses will ever get an A.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Truth!***

Jan 24, 2020, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2020, 6:45 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense ]

Maybe in your scenario it's development in CB's because as far as star power, we're getting star power. We helped Joe Brady and burrow look better because we had to play an unusual D because of busts on the DLINE recruiting. Had belk been the next big dex as touted and x k lived up to his billing. It'd been different a different outcome. AJ was put one on one with perhaps the best wr this cycle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2020, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense ]

Did you want Trevor to play defense in the UNC and OSU games?

I'm pretty sure scoring the go ahead TD and then letting the defense finish the victory is Trevor's job.

In both games the defense made a play on the very last defensive play to win the game.

Then Trevor took a knee to end each game.

So again, what did you want him to do different in those two games?

LSU is the only real leg you have to stand on if you are trying to attempt to bring him down.

Jan 26, 2020, 8:29 PM

100% agree! I’d say the UNC game was pretty bad for TL, but I attribute that to trying to live up to someone else’s expectation with all that Heisman talk. The LSU game was the one that just turned into a pillar of crap for TL. Credit them for playing well. I wouldn’t trade what we have for anything anybody else has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2020, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Season in review: Grading the 2019 Clemson offense ]

You're being a bit harsh, but T-Law definitely had some accuracy issues all season long. The natty was not a good showing from him. Give the kid a break though. He had some fine moments this season, and there's no way we win the OSU game without him. I'm excited to see how he comes out next season. You know that natty has to be weighing heavy on him. Also, the WRs with the exception of Tee Higgins AT TIMES weren't nearly as sharp this season. Justyn Ross didn't look at all like the kid who torched Bama last season.

Only thing I disagree with is special teams

Jan 24, 2020, 9:23 AM

Let's grade Potter on a kicker's three jobs:

Kickoffs: A+
PAT's: A+
FG's: D

His kickoffs are a weapon; he's special there. PAT's are nice but hitting them all isn't exactly the greatest accomplishment in the world. For the 40-odd guys that didn't miss one, there were probably 40 more that only missed one or two due to blocks. It's not the NFL; they're still chip shots in college.

Field goals are a kicker's most important job. If your offense can't quite seal the deal, you HAVE to be able to come away with three to keep pressure on the other team. It didn't cost us a game but he DID miss his 40-yd attempt against UNC. Going 10-18 inside the 50 is simply inexcusable. I honestly think the only reason Potter kept his FG job is because we didn't have a better option. The three 50 yarders are nice but you get the same three points for those as you do the short ones. You HAVE to make more than 56% of your short ones.

That being said, I have hope for Potter. I don't think skill is necessarily his problem; mainly consistency. Really hopes he works hard during the offseason to get that percentage up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic