Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The DJ Uiagalelei QB & Trevor TE plays/series
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

The DJ Uiagalelei QB & Trevor TE plays/series

Oct 14, 2020, 12:55 PM

What did you think about this package?

Will we see it again? Have we been working on many plays out of this?

I was shocked but I love the concept of stretching the defense to pick its poison. They have to guard Trevors arm/running abilities and TE catching a pass but also worry about 245 lbs running the ball.

What say you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: The DJ Uiagalelei QB & Trevor TE plays/series

Oct 14, 2020, 1:00 PM

We probably will. They've used that package a few times with Deshaun and KB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 1:00 PM

Mostly I think they're finding creative ways to inject DJU into a game in pressure situations - as they do with a boatload of our young guys, even in tight games. There's a variety of reasons for that but the big reason is the more you play a guy, the more he gets over the young-player yips and is psychologically and mentally ready to play when actually called upon to step into his predecessor's shoes.

Injuries happen. COVID could easily happen. We could easily find ourselves without Trevor for any number of reasons...and we'll definitely be without Trevor next year. Which means it's not just about achieving a result for today but about getting a replacement ready for tomorrow.

Dabo does that as well as any coach in the game, which is why Clemson has sustained so much success and consistency year-to-year.

I agree, see my post below.***

Oct 14, 2020, 1:41 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU for the "yips" reference...

Oct 15, 2020, 5:16 AM [ in reply to Re: The DJ Uiagalelei QB & Trevor TE plays/series ]

Shows your deep understanding of the game...LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2020, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The DJ Uiagalelei QB & Trevor TE plays/series ]

Dabo normally does a great job with that, but not with DJ. Through 4 games he’s only thrown 16 passes. When he’s gotten in the games that were blowouts, he hasn’t gotten to run the normal offense. Also he’s been splitting way too many reps with TP when clearly he’s the qb of the future. There was no reason he shouldn’t have gotten the final drive against Miami when he’s the backup. Against The Citadel they alternated series and the coaches took the air out of the ball. That does nothing to help his development. I’d love to see him get a few series a game before it’s a blowout, like DW4 and TL in the past.

Frankly...

Oct 14, 2020, 1:11 PM

I thought it was stupid, gimmicky, and totally unnecessary.

Clemson didn't need to rely on any kind of trickeration to beat Miami, so why get cute.

Just run the regular offense. It was clear Miami couldn't stop it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Frankly...

Oct 14, 2020, 1:13 PM

The 2 plays called in that formation Saturday night were QB run and QB pass.

Nothing tricky or gimmicky about those options.

Trevor standing out there just made the defense think it was going to be a trick play.

Elliott even said the bad snap play was supposed to be DJ throwing the ball to Ladson initially and was not an adjustment on the fly by DJ.

It was stupid, gimmicky, and totally unnecessary.

Oct 14, 2020, 1:28 PM

Absolutely no need to get cute.

Just run the regular offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they were just trying to get DJ in the game.

Oct 14, 2020, 1:40 PM

Waiting until late in the 4th quarter doesn't help DJ prepare to be ready if Trevor, God forbid, gets hurt.

Dude, breath.***

Oct 15, 2020, 12:36 AM [ in reply to It was stupid, gimmicky, and totally unnecessary. ]

LOL...that's hilarious...

Oct 15, 2020, 11:03 AM

considering that I'm probably one of the most laid back and relaxed people you'll ever meet.

Re: It was stupid, gimmicky, and totally unnecessary.

Oct 15, 2020, 10:22 AM [ in reply to It was stupid, gimmicky, and totally unnecessary. ]

I don't understand your logic on QB power and QB pass being gimmicky, but I'm guessing you aren't going to change your mind.

It was to cause ND’s DC to have more to worry about.

Oct 15, 2020, 7:19 PM [ in reply to It was stupid, gimmicky, and totally unnecessary. ]

Because, by golly, one of these times DJU is gonna toss it back to TL16. You just know it. Maybe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Gives teams something to think about down the road and

Oct 14, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Frankly... ]

may be used later on as a trick play. I didn't have a problem with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Oct 14, 2020, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Frankly... ]

Of all the things we want or need #16 to do for us, lining up as a WR is not one of them. I do like the idea of getting DJU in the game with the ones. If we need to try some trickeration, why not run a package with DJU and Derion Kendrick. #1 is a dangerous man with great speed and experience at WR.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geez guy, settle down..

Oct 15, 2020, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Frankly... ]

They were just toying with Miami and having fun. In case you haven't noticed, Dabo likes the team to enjoy the game. Not at all "stupid" or "gimmicky".

I could agree with you...

Oct 15, 2020, 10:12 AM

but then we'd both be wrong.

Um, no. And too...

Oct 15, 2020, 4:38 PM

Do you have anything to counter with other than your oft-used cliche? I just gave you the exact reasons you're wrong. The cliche does nothing for you.

You would argue with someone for weeks if it meant

Oct 15, 2020, 4:48 PM

you got some attention. Wouldn't you?

Sad.

No. Not at all.

Oct 15, 2020, 5:52 PM

Sad? Lol, drama much?

Re: No. Not at all.

Oct 15, 2020, 7:25 PM

Nah, she’s just being très ironic.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: You would argue with someone for weeks if it meant

Oct 15, 2020, 7:00 PM [ in reply to You would argue with someone for weeks if it meant ]

It does, cuz mouth-breather.

You’re getting quite the rep here Courageous, lol!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 1:11 PM

I do not expect to see the ball thrown to Trevor on that play unless he has multiple blockers in front of him trying to give him time to throw it again.

Trevor is not out there to be honored as a real TE. He is simply out there to make people honor the trick play double pass. If a safety or LB cheats toward Trevor, it could mean a big play on the ground or in the air by DJ.

We would have gotten to see that big play through the air Saturday night if not for a bad snap.

Any chance we line up in that formation and DJU actually

Oct 14, 2020, 1:13 PM

throws a pass to TL16?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Any chance we line up in that formation and DJU actually

Oct 14, 2020, 1:18 PM

That would be cool for a TD in the end zone or DJ could throw to Trevor who throws back to ETN across the formation for 2 TD’s.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Saving it for bama

Oct 14, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Any chance we line up in that formation and DJU actually ]

Could you see a corner trying to tackle TL16 solo?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Saving it for bama

Oct 14, 2020, 1:46 PM

That tandem looked good Saturday. However, we will see some QB's transfer. They all will be fighting for that backup slot and when that has been determined, transfer portal happens. However, I do believe we have too many QB's so it won't hurt.

I think that was the plan Sat

Oct 15, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Any chance we line up in that formation and DJU actually ]

If the snap had been better I think DJU was supposed to throw a reverse pass to TL who would find someone open downfield.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So if there are two QBs in on the same play, how are you not

Oct 15, 2020, 4:46 PM

thinking pass? Obviously the gimmick would be a run. So had he reverse to Trevor, i'm pretty sure all WRs would be covered and the only option would be a QB run with DJ. So it was obvious in my opinion of what they were going to run. Basically with Trevor being in there you eliminate an option. Unless you throw his way which would be insane and would put him at risk for being leveled.

Just scrap that one.

Oct 14, 2020, 1:59 PM

I'm not a coaching scholar but I think we will see it again. I think the coaches won't run it too regularly because we don't want to risk losing both of our top two quarterbacks to injuries. My guess is Dabo wants to give opposing coaches some more looks to worry about and prepare for and he will pull it out when they lease expect it.

I was very happy to see DJ come in earlier in the game last

Oct 14, 2020, 8:10 PM

week regardless, especially in the middle of a series like that. I hope they're both not on the field too much at the same time, maybe a bridge to help ease DJ into those conditions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 2:10 PM

If the snap wasn't high it could have been a beautiful TD pass.

I like it because there is a legit threat to throw the ball so defenses cannot load up the line of scrimmage.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:15 PM

Anytime we can have our Freshman QB go run over an opponent’s DB’s, I’m in favor of it. It adds humor to the equation. Laughing is good for the soul.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:41 PM

Seems like wasted plays if the game is in doubt.

I also don't want to see the defense have a chance to hit TL when he isn't the QB.

The defense will be playing run and the pass that the QB chucked up could have been intercepted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody touched Trevor on either of those plays.***

Oct 15, 2020, 12:39 AM

Oct 15, 2020, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: The DJ Uiagalelei QB & Trevor TE plays/series ]

I'm pretty sure DJ gained like 8 yards on his run play so that was hardly a "wasted play".

Also if you want to blame the pass being a wasted play, blame the center who plays the whole game because Ladson was WIDE OPEN for a TD until he had to slow down when the play was held up by a bad snap.

Oct 15, 2020, 11:09 AM

My mistake, he ran for a 1st down on a 1st and 10 play. Gain of 12-15 on the play.

Oct 14, 2020, 2:45 PM

You left out one very important poison. DJ's rocket arm and his ability to throw the ball down field. If they load up on the run they will get exposed, real quick!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2020, 2:50 PM

My take away from that series was...

Clemson respected a top 10 Miami so much, they treated them like a undermanned FCS opponent dowb by 60 in the 4th... in the fist quarter. That whole game was: "what if we try...(insert some random coaching idea)" daU wasn't back, and the weren't feared or respected.

I keep coming back to Uiagalelei and wanting to see him open it up via the air. We got a rushed backfooted big pass but I almost feel that the coaching staff is trying to keep his arm accuracy hidden.

Oct 14, 2020, 6:01 PM

With good protection, a pump fake to TL would draw a lot of defensive attention.

Oct 14, 2020, 8:34 PM

The last thing I want is Trevor having a pass thrown to him and getting his bell rung. I don't mind getting DJ in the game with the first team for a few plays but TL needs to come off the field.

Oct 15, 2020, 10:29 AM

I did not like it. I did not think it was gimmicky.

I just think it is a bad idea to have your best 2 QBs on the field at the same time.

i'm never a fan of "cute" plays

Oct 15, 2020, 10:45 AM

unless you've got a decent lead like we had in that game. And even then i think they're generally a bad idea. Especially when you're screwing around with your QB. Last thing you want is Trevor being targeted as a blocker by some half crazed linebacker smelling blood.

Never been much of a fan of pulling the QB out to a WR and running the wildcat either. They're never going to to throw him the ball so you're basically playing minus one player. And if they do throw it to him then the defense is going to use that opportunity to hit him dirty.

The worst i saw of this was in the NFL this year. Drew Brees is driving to get in field goal range for the win or possible TD for the win. Under two minutes in the game. He gets them to the 50 in two plays. Its first down and they're going tempo, they pull him for that Taysom HIll guy to play wildcat and you guessed it..he runs it on read option because he's supposedly a "QB" as well and what happens? Fumble on the exchange bc he obviously wants the ball and the saints end up losing the game b/c the other team victory formations the next 3 downs. IF i was Brees i would be cussing every coach on that team out and making a scene. You got one of the best QBs in NFL history who's in a rhythm and pull him out for some stupid gimmick play and in turn cough the game up. If that was peyton or brady, or marino they would be going crazy on some coaches in that moment.

So in conclusion.. im not of fan of dumb gimmicks when youre good. When you suck like we used to with Bowden..then i'm good with it bc...what do you have to lose really....will proctor gets knocked out then its probably a blessing in disguise.

Re: i'm never a fan of "cute" plays

Oct 15, 2020, 11:09 AM

What the Saints did was dumb.

What the Clemson coaches did was completely different.

We got the ball inside our own 15 on that drive.

First 2 plays of the drive netted 1 yard. Then we screen to ETN for a nice gain.

We hand to Dixon for a nice run to get another 1st down around mid-field.

I think being close to mid-field is key because it gives you room to work but doesn't remove Trevor on a redzone play in a close game.

Then we ran DJ for about 12-15 yards and another 1st down. Across the 50 now. DJ may have come out if that play didn't work, but we will never know.

Then we tried to let DJ throw 1 pass on a play that was set up. Snap was bad and the ball was incomplete.

Trevor returned to the game.

So it's not like Trevor was in a rhythm and rolling on the drive. His lone productive completion was a screen pass.

i should have added in their "on a side note"

Oct 15, 2020, 11:24 AM

i wasn't comparing the Saints play to our play. I was just relating them in terms of gimmick plays (in general.) The Saints play was an extreme example and was just the straw that broke the camels back for me in terms gimmicks. They usually disrupt the offense (most of the time theres a false start bc the cadence changes with a new QB) and never really nets anything positive.

In that Miami game, who cares..we were up and doing pretty much whatever we wanted (offensively and defensively) so i'll give some leeway there. But i hope we never try something like that in a big/tight game like the Saints coaches did. Those plays are hardly ever executed properly and we have the best QB in the league. He obviously should never be used as a decoy bc you will not do any better than what he will do for you.

So my general take on the play was, meh..... i usually am never too excited about the prospects of gimmick plays.

You guys don’t get it at all

Oct 15, 2020, 12:20 PM

The primary reason for showing the DJ/TL package is to force our opponents to account for it in their practices. With limited practice time - now ND and others have to deal with a new look from the Tigers.

It was not about “being cute”. It is a coaching strategy to make your opponent focus on additional schemes.

I'm glad you're here to fix everything.***

Oct 15, 2020, 4:47 PM

Oct 15, 2020, 1:50 PM

D now has to prepare for all versions of trickery with that package. Pass to TL16 and then he throws downfield.

TL16 in motion or coming around to take a pitch with DJU blocking and then TL16 throws it downfield. Run or pass by DJU. Normal running play.

I believe we will see it more... just to make sure that opponents have to devote practice time to it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic