Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Lincoln Zephyr and Cord Automobiles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,478

The Lincoln Zephyr and Cord Automobiles

Jan 19, 2021, 11:34 AM

I doubt there are many on this board that were around during the days of the Lincoln Zephyr and Cord automobiles. They were the luxury cars of the late 1930's and the beginning of "streamlining". The Lincoln Zephyr had a V-12 engine. One of my neighbors bought one soon after they came out in 1936. The owner had a side business growing tomato, pepper and other plants at a farm he owned about 25 miles from my home town. In early spring, his two sons, myself and another friend worked each Saturday at the farm for one dollar. He drove us to the farm in the Lincoln Zephyr.

One Saturday when we were driving down to the farm, I knew we were going pretty fast. I was sitting in the front seat, glanced at the speedometer and noticed we were going almost 100 MPH. There were some people at a house as we passed by and I blurted out, "I bet those people said 'look at that Lincoln Zephyr. They must be doing 100 MPH'". Well, Mr. "D" didn't realize he was going that fast. He said o me, "thanks for letting me know I had a heavy foot on the pedal".

The Cord was more expensive than the Lincoln Zephyr. A large scale farmer in the area had a Cord. He also had a trucking business that was his main source of income. The main thing about the Cord that intrigued most of us teenagers was the covered headlights. We must have asked the owner hundreds of times to turn on the headlights so we could see the "eyelids" open and close. Our constant request never seemed to bother him.

During those years, one could buy a pickup real cheap, much cheaper than a sedan. They were considered a necessity on a farm. Today one can buy a sedan for much less than the cost of a pickup. Times do change.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Dad has had a 1930s Lincoln Zephyr for at least the last 30 years

Jan 19, 2021, 11:47 AM

He has slowly been working on restoring it. Currently, it is in parts but he is definitely closer to putting it back together since almost all the pieces have been restored, refinished, or rebuilt. The frame is the last big dollar item to complete.

I pray I get to see him driving it down the road.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Lincoln Zephyr and Cord Automobiles

Jan 19, 2021, 11:49 AM

I had a Mercury Zephyr Joe, and I regretted ever buying it. There were 3 transmission put in that junk within 3 years. Those little C-4 transmissions back there junk....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the memories. I used to buy my son the small metal replica cars at Christmas and his birthday. I made him a shelf to show them off in. One of my favorites was the Zephyr. Its nice to hear from someone who actually road in one at high speed!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 19, 2021, 12:02 PM

Joe, I also saw an episode of American Pickers last night where they were restoring a Zephyr to running condition. Coincidence...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 19, 2021, 12:13 PM

Oh, boy, do I remember the Zephyr. I've driven Lincolns most of my adult life, and I'm driving a 2017 Continental today. Unfortunately, Lincoln has decided to stop making them after 4 years. Young people don't care for luxury or big cars.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2021, 12:16 PM

Oh, boy, do I remember the Zephyr. I've driven Lincolns most of my adult life, and I'm driving a 2017 Continental today. Unfortunately, Lincoln has decided to stop making them (agin) after 4 years. Young people don't care for luxury or big cars.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,478
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic