Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This wont be popular but about the SC opening
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

This wont be popular but about the SC opening

Nov 17, 2020, 7:51 PM

I think its a great opportunity fo the right guy. I know everyone here doesnt like SC. Me either. But i dont hate them. Thats silly. And it is a great oppurtunity for the right coach. Personally, id hire a younger, hungrier coach. Not somebody approaching retirement, regardless of their resume.

Spurrier did a great job honestly but i felt he was too old to stay very long there and he didn't. Napier and freeze? Id pass on both of them.

Honestly, id hate to see him go but Tony Elliot woud be terrific there. I dont worry about him leaving however because the brain trust at SC is too stupid.
They will hire another coach like muschamp who most people knew wasnt gonna do squat there. And surprise, he didnt.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This wont be popular but about the SC opening

Nov 17, 2020, 7:56 PM

Don’t know if there is a “right guy” for uSC. They single handedly destroyed the legacies of Holtz and Spurrier...

Nov 17, 2020, 8:23 PM

Dieter, Carlen, chicken Foster, this list is long.

Nov 17, 2020, 8:24 PM

Dietzel not the autospell version. LOL

Nov 17, 2020, 9:11 PM

The only coach that ever had a decent record at Sc was superior.If you look at all their previous coaches none have a stellar record.Im not hating on them it’s just facts.Whoever they get and if he helps them to get to be winners he is a jewel. They hate Clemson so bad they would consider it a winner if they beat Clemson every once in a while.I heard one of their boosters said we don’t want to be like Clemson and by gosh they have succeeded in that wish

Nov 17, 2020, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Re: This wont be popular but about the SC opening ]

The only coach that ever had a decent record at Sc was superior.If you look at all their previous coaches none have a stellar record.Im not hating on them it’s just facts.Whoever they get and if he helps them to get to be winners he is a jewel. They hate Clemson so bad they would consider it a winner if they beat Clemson every once in a while.I heard one of their boosters said we don’t want to be like Clemson and by gosh they have succeeded in that wish

Napier is only 41 years old? That's plenty young to get a

Nov 17, 2020, 7:58 PM

good program established there and enjoy the benefits for a long time?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Napier is only 41 years old? That's plenty young to get a

Nov 18, 2020, 10:58 AM

Except that by age 45 you might not sniff another power 5 program again. That is a big long-time risk.

To get a good program established, you have to get a program that is capable of being "good".

Don’t worry. I hate them enough for both of us.***

Nov 17, 2020, 8:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Don’t worry. I hate them enough for both of us.***

Nov 17, 2020, 9:37 PM

Lol, my thought exactly!

Nov 17, 2020, 8:10 PM

Cornflakes you Ned to look at your expiration date. I think you are getting stale

Nov 17, 2020, 8:25 PM

To figure out the next coach, we need to look at who will be their 4th or 5th choice.

UofSC is not the problem. Their trashy fans are.***

Nov 17, 2020, 8:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 17, 2020, 8:42 PM

I can't stand them enough for us both as well!

The unrealistic expectations at SC and the delusional fan base are enough to deter anyone who "has options" away from there.

They get Burch and they get Pickens! They got Joyner. They got the QB-Hillinski. They got the 5 star DB from Georgia that ended up transferring to Georgia State. They have recruited some decent talent over there.
Where they mess up in my opinion is: "they think they are something they aren't"! They are not a plug and play school. They "do not get enough big time players" to not develop the 3 stars they get.
Unless they get a coach who is a grinder about developing kids into 4 and 5 star players they will never be successful.

During Spurrier's run you have to realize he had a nice coaching staff! Namely Shawn Elliott. Who was the DC then as well?
Spurrier was/is a good offensive mind and the SEC still hadn't during his time at SC fully adopted the forward pass like they have now. It was mostly defenses geared on stopping powerful run games! The pass was to keep defenses honest. When they were good they got some good talent - but they also had coaches who developed some 3 star players and made them into draftable to high production college players. They do not do that now!
A football team needs the back ups to be good so they can push the starters in practice! SC does not have that. They get a few big name recruits and that player never really develops his skills beyond what he came in with. Because - they don't have to in order to start there.

Get another coach who can only win if he has more talent(Muschamp couldn't with more talent of course he couldn't at Florida either) and they achieve nothing!
Get someone like Clauson from Wake at SC and you have a program that will win games in 2 years. Why HRT? Because, Clauson is used to having to take 2 and 3 star players and compete with Clemson, FSU, N. Carolina, Miami who annually finishes high nationally. On occasion his teams will compete well and beat or nearly those teams! At SC he wouldn't have to work as hard!
They do attract some 4 and 5 star talent there. They do typically get the higher rated 3 star player(grades that are just outside of being 4 star range).

The reason as a Clemson fan I feel confident SC won't be posing a threat anytime soon is - they won't make the right decision. Which is ultimately another one of the reasons of many to not like that outfit.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU, enjoyed the post and agree with much of it

Nov 18, 2020, 10:47 AM

As for the OP, I also don't carry the disdain for USuc most do. Im 42, grew up in Chas to a family with no allegiance. My older sis went in the early 80s, so I always cheered for Clemson over them, but im mostly indifferent to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 17, 2020, 9:33 PM

In all of the Gamecocks over 125 "glory years", I'm not aware of any coach being lured away by another school. Granted, Spurrier did have winning seasons and several other coaches had winning records but, overall, their all time record is near .500. South Carolina is known as the graveyard for coaches. Morrison appeared to have them on the right track but his untimely death led to coaches who were not successful. Maybe, just maybe, the chicken curse is alive and well.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 10:00 AM

Beyond that, 680TheFan in ATL shared this factoid yesterday.

In their 125yrs of existence, no South Carolina head football coach had ever been poached by another team for a higher or more prestigious position, EVER!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 10:08 AM

ddraines® said:

Beyond that, 680TheFan in ATL shared this factoid yesterday.

In their 125yrs of existence, no South Carolina head football coach had ever been poached by another team for a higher or more prestigious position, EVER!

You know the chickens will turn that around right?
In their unrealistic little worm eating world it means - they had a top notch destination and paid well! SMH! They just don't get it = and why they will continue to struggle!

Nov 17, 2020, 9:41 PM

"Personally I'd hire a younger, hungrier coach "

Muschamps belly grew significantly during his time in Columbia, I think he had the hungry thing covered

Nov 18, 2020, 5:58 AM

I think “great opportunity” may be a stretch. However, much as most here would hate to admit, it is a job that could have some appeal. I look at it somewhat like FSU when Bowden took over. The SEC, along with a decent fan base, provides a revenue stream that will be needed. The SEC also provides much needed exposure. The location, though South Carolina itself is small and limited, is in the middle of prime recruiting territory.

The most obvious negative many have pointed out is their history. It is undeniably true. However, that has its pluses. The expectations, though likely unrealistic for them, are not what they would be at a blue blood school. Also, it would give a coach the opportunity to put their name on the Mt Rushmore of the school. The negative I see that would most concern me as a prospective coach is Muschamp’s buyout. That is a lot of totally dead money in a lean COVID environment where budgets are already strained. Will they be able to hire a quality staff? Will they be able to keep them? Will they have the money to invest in facilities and recruiting? The other major concern I have is commitment. Making a winner out of a school like UofSC will take patience and commitment. If the new staff does not show results in the short term, will they stick with the plan? What about Tanner? He likely is on the hot seat as well. If he hires the right guy, but it is taking time to see results and is fired, will the next guy/girl stay the course?

Correction, it's an opportunity, not a "great" opportunity

Nov 18, 2020, 8:27 AM

there is a chance that better jobs will open up this year...Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, etc. This is not an ideal job for an "up and comer" compared to those. The UofSuCk is not a stepping stone school for young coaches but a graveyard for old has beens.

That being said they have to hire someone but who? Mustcramps was like their 5th choice. Anyway hope them the worst!

Nov 18, 2020, 8:57 AM

I hate to disagree with you Cornflakes but I don’t think there is a football coach that could do much better with SC. First their history speaks for itself, then they have had successful HC’s like Spurrier and Holtz did little to change SC football history. Spurrier had 7.5 average seasons out of 10.5 seasons. IMO Some schools you just cannot consistently win at. SC is one of those average schools. They are unable to recruit nationally. Now they cannot even compete with Clemson when it comes to recruiting. It now even tougher for SC recruiting with the success of NC, Florida, UGA, Coastal Carolina and improvements with VT’s program as well as success at FBS school Liberty. Most of SC recruits come from within the same areas many of these school successfully recruit.

Georgia Tech, Georgia State, App State. . . . . .

Nov 18, 2020, 9:50 AM

GT, GState and App St. will all be great places for the 3 star who thinks they were over shadowed or under valued. Who wants to go to Columbia?

App St. - consistently wins at a high level as is no stranger to being ranked at all. They also are no stranger to beating ACC schools or South Carolina. If you think your a top tier talent that's been overlooked you go here or Coastal not S. Carolina. To illustrate - there was a 4 star WR from Dorman H.S. named Jacoby Pinckney that went to App St. instead of U of SoC.

Georgia Tech - Geoff Collins will eventually turn GT around. Of all the schools that are making moves to change things I am most concerned with the Bees. Why? Because they are located in the middle of Atlanta. No matter what you think of the area; they have some good talent from that area all over the college football landscape. You watch MAC games, Pac 12 even Mountain West games and you see players from greater Atlanta. Let alone how they replenish the SEC and ACC(Clemson, FSU) with talent. If Collins can keep some those kids home it means a program like SC will have to use an even smaller strainer to get talent from that area.

Georgia State - Same deal with Shawn Elliott. Located in Atlanta and not the armpit of the SEC. Elliott is a good coach and can have kids believing. If Clemson, Bama, GT or some other more desirable school don't get them Georgia State will.

As a South Carolina H.S. football fan I think people have under-valued the talent in this state. The problem with South Carolina is "having enough eligible kids who can play college ball"! You see it every year if you watch it and keep tabs on it. LB. for LB. South Carolina is not bad as far as FBS talent or players in the NFL. You have to do it on scale and not volume of course. S. Carolina is a state of a bit over 5 million where as Florida is over 20 million for example so comparing wouldn't be fair. Louisiana is a better comparison and S. Carolina holds it's own! What does all that have to do with S. Carolina's football team? It makes the pool they have to choose from small!
Even with all that said - they get the Gilmore's, Clowney's, Hollomans, Swearingers, Burch's, Pinckney's, Edwards, Lattimore's, etc. But, they proceed to do what with them? Nothing - because of their main problem - "not being realistic"! Recognize and realize you are a developmental program and not one who just reloads and they may have more success! It will never happen because of their fanbase! They are funny in that they want it to happen - but actually help contribute to the problem with their mindset toward their football team! Whoever they hire had better have some "footBALLS" enough and mental toughness enough to tell the AD and Fanbase to watch how he builds the foundation first. So, no instant success! If and they will(or won't rather) have enough patience someone could maybe build something! They won't do it because they just don't have any realistic expectations going on in Columbia! They aren't Alabama or Michigan or Ohio State or Notre Dame or Southern Cal - a.k.a historically good schools who may go through bad points in time but is just waiting for the next leader(HC) to take them back to their perch on top of CFB. SC does not have that - they will have to build a foundation first you see. The impatience and unrealistic expectations there will never allow the cement to cure on a solid foundation in which to build on if they do not win immediately.

Until Tanner is gone, they will have trouble getting a good

Nov 18, 2020, 9:58 AM

coach. Heck, until he's gone, they will have trouble selecting the right coach!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2020, 10:17 AM

SC has become a place where coach’s go to never coach again afterwards.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic