Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What (from a music perspective) was the most
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

What (from a music perspective) was the most

Jan 23, 2021, 1:22 PM

surprisingly good, and surprisingly bad concerts you have attended?

For me, they came literally back to back weekends, several years ago.

Good: Saw The Who at what was then called Blockbuster Pavilion in Concord, NC. They played Quadrophenia in its entirety, and then several of their greatest hits. The musicianship was amazingly good, maybe because I wasn't really expecting it to be.

Bad: If I umember correctly, this was the very next weekend, saw the Rolling Stones at Eriksson (Bank of America) stadium in Charlotte. This was the "Bridges to Babylon" tour, I think. They were downright awful. So loud it literally hurt the ears, and you could tell they were just phoning it in. Very disappointing, I had always heard how great they were live.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While at Clemson, Chicago played at DKS.

Jan 23, 2021, 1:43 PM

It was just beyond terrible due to the acoustics, especially with the horns. An off key mismash of sound. We left very early.

As far as best concerts, I saw Driving N Crying at the Pickens fairgrounds around the same time. The energy and sound was amazing. Maybe it was the perfect fall weather or the people I was with, but that was my most memorable concert.

I saw Poison and Warrant together when they both were at the top of the charts. The concert was good, but the feud was what was interesting. Jamie Lane let it be known that Poison screwed them by making their stage so small and that they should be opening for them instead of the other way around. Weren't I just released Cherry pie and it was at the top of the charts. But poison had just come out with the song every Rose has its Thorn in and it was super popular too. Bret Michaels had words to say to the crowd as well about warrant. very interesting to see a few play out right on stage in the coliseum.

Message was edited by: Tigersense®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

The one with The Beach Boys (1989)

Jan 23, 2021, 1:48 PM

I enjoyed the concert but that was the homecoming loss to GT (we were the catalyst for them that year and the next year they were co-champions of college football with Colorado).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, that was the one. I thought the music was terrible

Jan 23, 2021, 1:58 PM

and was eager to get out of there and head downtown.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

I wish I remembered that concert, but I was

Jan 23, 2021, 5:09 PM [ in reply to The one with The Beach Boys (1989) ]

way too drunk. We were out on the rugby field near DKS with a full keg.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: While at Clemson, Chicago played at DKS.

Jan 23, 2021, 2:48 PM [ in reply to While at Clemson, Chicago played at DKS. ]

Poison is my favorite band and warrant is not far behind! Wish I’d been old enough to see that tour but I’ve now seen poison 9 times and warrant twice. Jani lane was a great songwriter and is greatly missed.

Re: While at Clemson, Chicago played at DKS.

Jan 23, 2021, 2:49 PM [ in reply to While at Clemson, Chicago played at DKS. ]

Poison is my favorite band and warrant is not far behind! Wish I’d been old enough to see that tour but I’ve now seen poison 9 times and warrant twice. Jani lane was a great songwriter and is greatly missed.

Re: What (from a music perspective) was the most

Jan 23, 2021, 1:45 PM

Most of you don't know this group because you are too young but I saw "The Association" in Charleston and they all changed instruments every couple of songs except the drummer. Most talented group I ever saw. Saw "The Carpenters" and they sounded exactly like their records. Worst I ever saw was "Sly and The Family Stone". He was high as a kite the whole show and forgot the words to "Stand". Now I have shown you my age. I was in college then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I play Never My Love on my Uke.

Jan 23, 2021, 1:47 PM

I have grown an appreciation for The Association.

The Association and The Carpenters

Jan 23, 2021, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: What (from a music perspective) was the most ]

GREAT music and musicians

The Association and The Carpenters

Jan 23, 2021, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: What (from a music perspective) was the most ]

GREAT music and musicians

Jan 23, 2021, 1:48 PM

ShineDown concert in 2018 at Simpsonville’s Heritage Park. The Tickets were only about $21. Me my wife and several friends went. They put on a really good show!

Jan 23, 2021, 2:44 PM

I saw that The Who quadrophenia tour as well in Darien Lake, NY. It was my 4th amazing show in 5 days right before I left to start school my freshman year at Clemson. Queensryche, lynard skynard/Bad Company, and Live were the other 3 shows. All great!

Jan 23, 2021, 2:48 PM

I'll really tell my age but the best concert I ever saw was Mary Wells at Newberry College in 1964. It was also the first concert this mill Village boy ever attended. If memory serves me right I asked her to marry me that night. Alcohol may or may not have been involved. It really started my love for music. I've been to well over 100 concerts and have seen Jimmy Buffett over 30 times. Not sure how many more I'll attend but I have Buffett tickets for April!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2021, 3:02 PM

Best was Willie Nelson, Labor Day 1985.
Worst was one I actually missed.1983, I was moving to Wilmington North Carolina in a U-Haul going up Hwy 17 North Myrtle and Roy Orbinson was playing some gig. I couldn't stop.
Never got any where near seeing Roy again. "Crying" remains my all time-favorite song by any artist.
Other than that I have never seen a bad concert because I'm selective in my choices.

Jan 23, 2021, 3:10 PM

The most like the album concert I have seen at Clemson was the fall of 1969 The Association.

The best show I saw was that same semester Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons put on a show that looked like a Vegas show; not just singing but acting up in character.

Jan 23, 2021, 4:14 PM

This will make you all chuckle, but the surprisingly best concert I ever saw was John Denver in Columbia around 1976. I was not a huge fan of his, but the girl I was seeing was, so do the math. Anyway, he played three hours solid without a break but allowed his fellow band members to take a break while he performed some solo numbers. Very engaging with the audience. Very good sound. I was quite taken aback at how much I enjoyed it.

As for surprisingly bad, I was a bit disappointed in the Eagles, around the same time, also in Columbia. It was the Hotel California tour, and they all just seemed listless and uninterested. I was a huge Eagles fan and probably set my expectations too high.

Jan 23, 2021, 4:22 PM

Haven’t been to a bunch of concerts. Just never seemed to have the money when I was that age. However; I did see Drivin ‘n Cryin in Tillman Auditorium around 1992 and it was awesome. Pretty intimate setting and we were all about Mystery Road. Still one of my favorite albums.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back when they were fit...they really rocked

Jan 23, 2021, 5:00 PM

Fly me Courageous, The Innocent, Build a Fire, Straight to Hell, Honeysuckle Blues,etc...

Jan 23, 2021, 5:05 PM

They are a bunch of prima donnas, but The Eagles were awesome in concert! I will get laughed at, but Duran Duran, about 10 years ago, was great, too! I enjoyed the triple concert of REO Speedwagon, Styx, and Journey (without Perry).

The bad one ... Cyndi Lauper at Six Flags for (high school) Senior Night. Also, Frankie Goes To Hollywood was forgettable, even in the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jan 23, 2021, 5:11 PM

76er® said:

surprisingly good, and surprisingly bad concerts you have attended?

For me, they came literally back to back weekends, several years ago.

Good: Saw The Who at what was then called Blockbuster Pavilion in Concord, NC. They played Quadrophenia in its entirety, and then several of their greatest hits. The musicianship was amazingly good, maybe because I wasn't really expecting it to be.

Bad: If I umember correctly, this was the very next weekend, saw the Rolling Stones at Eriksson (Bank of America) stadium in Charlotte. This was the "Bridges to Babylon" tour, I think. They were downright awful. So loud it literally hurt the ears, and you could tell they were just phoning it in. Very disappointing, I had always heard how great they were live.

I’ve seen the Avett Brothers 13 times in the past two years. Needless to say, they’re the best live show I’ve ever seen.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2021, 6:56 PM

I’ve attended a lot of concerts over the years and usually come away from the show feeling good about the experience.

The good shows

The Ratt poison tour mid eighties (86 -87?) at the old Greenville Auditorium. My goodness it was hot in there, but the energy from poison especially and the energy of the crowd was off the chart. Poison opened and stole the show. It was so hot that Brett Michael’s brought out water for the fans up against the stage. C. C. DeVille is one scary looking character up close when he has all that makeup running off his face when he is pouring sweat! ??

Guns & Roses early 90’s in Charlotte. When most of the original band was still together . Use Your Illusion tour. Axle made it through the whole concert and from my seats I could see Slash riding around on a BMX bicycle backstage before the show began.

Eric Clapton Charlotte early nineties. So many hits, played a great show.

The Who with opening band Drivin N Cryin at Blockbuster Pavilion. Bucket list concert!

Paul McCartney at Blockbuster, so many hits and the concert was broadcast live on Fox channel

The bad

David Lee Roth and Cinderella at Littlejohn Coliseum. Not that the show wasn’t good, but that I didn’t get to see much of It. My girlfriend and I were heading into the show and after finding our seats I went to the bathroom. When I got in the bathroom, the Clemson Chief of police, littlejohn head of security and a uniform officer were arresting a guy for public drunkenness and you guessed it I knew him. It was my cousin. I said well there you are, I’ve been looking for you everywhere! The Chief said do you know this guy, I said yes and he said I will give you two choices. You can go enjoy the show,, and we will take him to jail, or you can take possession of him and leave the premises. I explained I was with my girlfriend and she wouldn’t know where I was at. He said no problem we will take him to jail. I said I can’t do that, let me run to tell my girlfriend what’s going on and I will be right back to take possession of my cousin. Well the girlfriend was not happy, but we were there with several friends, so I went and got my cousin. I asked if I could find someone in the dorm to watch him could I get back into the show? Nope, we will carry him to jail! I said ok, and put my cousin’s arm over my shoulder and headed for the door. It was raining like crazy as we headed out, and I was about ten feet into the parking lot when the police chief yelled to me “ you get him to the dorm, find someone to watch him, come back to this door and I will let you back in. It took awhile to get him to the dorm and find someone to watch him. I got back in time to hear Cinderella’s last song of the night. The rest of the show was good, but the girlfriend was still pissed. After the concert we are walking to my dorm and my girlfriend took this opportunity to tell me that we were over , kapoot, done. Yep she waited till after the concert to dump me, and the drama with my cousin had nothing to do with it, she had planned it before the concert.......yep that concert sucked

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic