Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are people’s opinions on Clemson going to an A-turf or field turf at the valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

What are people’s opinions on Clemson going to an A-turf or field turf at the valley

Dec 13, 2020, 9:00 PM

Instead of grass? Gotta be honest, the field hasn’t looked great the last couple of seasons and watching the Bills game tonight on their “A Turf Titan” field looks pretty sweet.

I know a lot of fans around the area have the “this is how we’ve always done it” mindset and won’t be changed. Just throwing it out there. I know something like this won’t happen before the chrome helmets come out. Just wanting to see if people are ok with our field looking “not so great”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are people’s opinions on Clemson going to an A-turf or field turf at the valley

Dec 13, 2020, 9:04 PM

Clemson Agricultural and Mechanical College don't need no stinkin A-turf field.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand that part of it, but it certainly appears

Dec 13, 2020, 9:07 PM

that the students that they have accepted are less than exemplary based on how the field has looked recently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I understand that part of it, but it certainly appears

Dec 13, 2020, 9:10 PM

You mean running on the field after a win?

Hold on! You might accidentally be onto something.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:13 PM

The average american’s body mass has increased greatly. Therefore, allowing those extra masses on the field after games with their individual gravitational pulls might have, over time, destroyed our once beautiful field.

100% for it and orange theater type chairs stadium wide....

Dec 13, 2020, 9:09 PM

...would be great in person and great looking on da toob....

I am absolutely not opposed...

Dec 14, 2020, 8:43 AM

to removing the aluminum bleachers and replacing them with theater type stadium seats.

However, doing so, assuming those type seats would even fit in the space available, would certainly reduce seating capacity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I will be disappointed if we ever make that decision.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:14 PM

Someone will tell me it’s cheaper in the long haul and I can’t argue that . . . but we are an Agricultural School with a fantastic Turf Division . . . We need to play on natural turf.

Just my opinion . . . I am a minor IPTAY Donor with absolutely no “say” in the matter . . . you asked for my opinion.

Is Mike Echols still the Supervisor of our Athletic Grounds? Shoot him an email and voice your concerns. I’m sure he (or whoever is in charge) can be located in a Clemson Directory.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I will be disappointed if we ever make that decision.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:18 PM

You make an excellent point but here’s what I think is a more compelling reason to do it. When you run the style of offense we run field turf is better to play on and it would give us an advantage because of the speed of our skill players.

A lot of people think it leads to more injuries, but there have been a lot of studies that show there doesn’t appear to be a statistical correlation between turf and injuries.

No way I would’ve gone for Astroturf years ago like that crap the gamecocks had in the 70s and 80s. But this modern field turf is a whole different animal.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:23 PM

It could hurt recruiting.

"Today, 13 NFL fields out of 30 are artificial. NFL players overwhelmingly prefer natural grass over synthetic surfaces, according to a league survey conducted in 2010. When asked, "Which surface do you think is more likely to shorten your career?", 90% responded artificial turf."

Dec 14, 2020, 6:38 AM

^^This is why I'm against it--safety over pretty turf any day.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 14, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: I will be disappointed if we ever make that decision. ]

I believe the USWNT has complained about this before, because they were seeing a major difference in injuries. There’s also been a study from HS football that showed this to be the case.

https://www.uhhospitals.org/for-clinicians/articles-and-news/articles/2019/08/artificial-turf-versus-natural-grass

Dec 13, 2020, 9:49 PM [ in reply to I will be disappointed if we ever make that decision. ]

Football was made to be plated on grass. And the player's bodies appreciate it too.

Huh? Field is always pristine!

Dec 13, 2020, 9:16 PM

We don't need fake grass .... Ever!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Field has looked much less than pristine..

Dec 13, 2020, 9:33 PM

..the last couple of years. OP has a valid point. Brown (bare) patches are obvious.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Field has looked much less than pristine..

Dec 13, 2020, 10:05 PM

And we no longer have planes flying "Plant Pennington Penkoted Seed" banners over the stadium. Coincidence?

Re: What are people’s opinions on Clemson going to an A-turf or field turf at the valley

Dec 13, 2020, 9:29 PM

In my opinion, I'm ditching the rye.

I get it looks good on t.v. , and bermuda will not recover after about mid September(depending on soil temperature each year), however not overseeding each fall will reduce slippage you see in night games. Bermuda is still able to hold a cut made by a player in November, however if he rips up a section of bermuda it's going to remain bear until next summer. You could resod a small section, down side is it just doesn't root good this time of year

I have no problem with green Bermuda in September/October and brown in late November. Heck this year, Clemson didn't get a solid frost till after the last home game.

Having said that, I love rye in my yard but I do not play football on it either.

Dec 13, 2020, 9:32 PM

Don't some stadiums spray their grass green before games?

Dec 13, 2020, 10:59 PM

Zoysia and paint it or go to field turf. The field looks awful every year

Dec 13, 2020, 9:37 PM

Before we discuss going to A-turf let's put the crown back in the field.

+1 for your sarcasm . . .

Dec 13, 2020, 9:40 PM

Made me shake my head and smile.

Re: +1 for your sarcasm . . .

Dec 13, 2020, 10:11 PM

I doubt there is a field in use today with a crown as severe as the one we had.

For those that don't remember, it was a sirius crown

Dec 13, 2020, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: What are people’s opinions on Clemson going to an A-turf or field turf at the valley ]

Elevation difference of 18" from crown to sideline??

Natural.***

Dec 13, 2020, 9:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Dec 13, 2020, 9:40 PM

my understanding is that you can take grass from a donor area to fill in the bald spots. It would be our own naturally growing grass. I am surprised nobody has thought about this until just now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 7:00 AM

Sounds just like the field at Boswell University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Dec 13, 2020, 9:43 PM

It does look really great

Dec 13, 2020, 9:46 PM

One of the things that is really tough on the grass is the logos painted on the field. I had never really noticed it until I got a job where I’m responsible for maintaining athletic fields (high school level). In order for those logos to look crisp on camera they are repainted all season long and it doesn’t help the perennial ryegrass seed at all.

The supplier I buy from also supplies for Clemson. They purchase pallets of rye and are constantly reseeding throughout the season to maintain the turf. The temperatures will determine how successful this will be, and also the amount(if any) rain you receive. One good day of rain is better than a week of irrigation in my experience.

I’m biased in that I prefer the natural grass, because it’s all I’ve ever dealt with. I worked on a golf course for the years I was a student at Clemson as well as taking care of athletic fields presently. I have researched turf fields because we have had parents wanting us to change over some of our fields. They always say that they would be maintenance free, but that just isn’t true. They have to be maintained or they will flatten out and get worn spots just like grass. They also have to be treated to prevent bacteria build up in the fibers of the turf. Instead of top dressing with sand you top dress with rubber pellets and there have been Heath issues associated with these pellets. They may be new developments to alleviate some of the problems now, but that was some of the reasons I had found about turf fields a few years ago.

Nope

Dec 13, 2020, 9:49 PM

One of the best memories I have and can bring to mind instantly is the smell of the grass on the playing field in Death Valley.

Note: This is different from the smell of grass that's usually in the tailgating area. I think it smells funny when it's smoked.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High quality natural beats fake any day!

Dec 13, 2020, 10:24 PM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are we still talking grass, or all things in general***

Dec 14, 2020, 1:00 AM

I think the axiom is applicable to lots of different things,

Dec 14, 2020, 7:58 AM

including turf!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2020, 11:04 PM

So Tigernetters want an artificial turf with a healthy Justyn Ross on the sideline. Thumbs downs away

Dec 13, 2020, 11:08 PM

This is expected due to the rapidly moving North Pole. The growing season at Death Valley is being pushed earlier in the calendar.

https://www.weatherboy.com/magnetic-poles-shifting/

Dec 13, 2020, 11:10 PM

Artificial turf used to cause more injuries. Not sure about today's artificial turf.

Dec 13, 2020, 11:44 PM

BAd BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be really bummed if we went that route. I hope it

Dec 13, 2020, 11:48 PM

doesn't happen. I wouldn't mind seeing orange seat-backs added to the entire stadium.

I love Death Valley, I just can't imagine it with plastic turf.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

But we have a turf grass management degree?

Dec 13, 2020, 11:51 PM

What would Dabo say? He seems like a natural grass guy

Message was edited by: TigerDominance®

Re: But we have a turf grass management degree?

Dec 14, 2020, 4:37 AM

Are you the same tiger dominance that thinks he has to call in all 4 Wccp roar radio shows? I have a bet every day with them who will call in first, you or Delvin! Lol

Dec 14, 2020, 12:09 AM

It would be interesting to do some research and see if there is any correlation between those who are pro artificial turf / pro natural turf vs pro artificial boobies / natural boobies. I would say one could go hand and hand with the other. Maybe you could create a poll?

Dec 14, 2020, 12:23 AM

I am “off the charts” opposed to artificial turf. If I ran the world i would ban it forever.

Dec 14, 2020, 12:28 AM

You don't play football on color. You play on healthy grass and healthy grass is not always the greenest color. A few posters know what they are talking about. I have planted, both sodded and sprigged thousands of acres of Bermudagrass in the last 40 years and it makes an excellent playing surface. When it starts to go dormant in the Fall and starts to lose its color, that does not mean it is still not a good surface. However, because of the TV cameras and the perception of what constitutes a "good" playing surface, maintenance crews either overseed the Bermudagrass with Perennial Ryegrass (not annual) or spray the dormant Bermuda with green dye. The dye used today looks much better than in past years when it looked very artificial. When you overseed, it has to be done at the right time and it is not going to germinate and become established in a weeks time, so the perfect scenario is doing it when you have two consecutive road games ....... which doesn't always happen on schedule. The Ryegrass is not going to greatly improve footing when chunks of Bermuda are created by cleats.

Mike Echols does a great job and I have never heard any complaints of our field by anyone that really counts, and that is the football players and coaches. I don't dismiss our fans that complain about the looks, but quite frankly, that's just eye candy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TLinks - Thanks for chiming in!

Dec 14, 2020, 12:54 AM

How often do we re-sod our athletic fields? I’m assuming it’s on an “as needed” basis, but how long should a football surface last?

Seems like we last re-sodded DV in 2014. (Or that’s the last time I remember.) I think we worked on our drainage system at that time also.

Mike is always talked about highly in the Turf Grass Industry!!! We are fortunate to have him!!!

Re: TLinks - Thanks for chiming in!

Dec 14, 2020, 4:12 AM

The whole problem is dabo and team practice and scrimmage more in Death Valley than they used to! Wear and tear on the field is too demanding ! This is from a reliable source !

Dec 14, 2020, 5:57 AM [ in reply to TLinks - Thanks for chiming in! ]

Mike is my neighbor and he is one of the best in the business. The field looks great. One problem is that people see artificial turf on tv with zero blemishes , then turn the channel and see turf grass with a few imperfections as the season wears on. They see a few blemishes during the fall transition to rye grass surface. You might see a few “scars” on tv but that playing surface is top shelf.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:07 AM

I think the issue is people see UGA's field and other schools on tv and it looks perfect every game. I'm not a turf guy.

Dec 14, 2020, 6:42 AM

The best looking field on TV yesterday was in Las Vegas, natural grass.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:12 AM

I actually am a turf guy. Someone mentioned that the teams practices often in Death Valley. If that’s true, and the poster says he knows, then that will definitely make it more challenging for the turf manager.

it’s a slap in the face to Ag Dept and we will see more injuries

Dec 14, 2020, 7:17 AM

Let grass grow in the Valley!! Tradition!!

Dec 14, 2020, 7:31 AM

Green spray paint in a can. Let dry for 63 minutes ,and 17 seconds.. Sure worked on an old stool I painted orange.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:51 AM

I hear you. Turf paint can be used but I hate it worse than artificial turf.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:50 AM

I’m all in with natural. I have Zoro Zoysia in my yard. I keep it at 3 inches (just like the first cut of rough on a golf course) and cut with a rotary push mower. The very large mowers have rollers that allow for cuts to 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I cut weekly and twice a week from June thru August. They can practice in my yard, the only problem is that I have moles as big as ETN. I’m thinking about buying uniforms for them and starting my own team. There is a 5 star mole out of Ringgold, Georgia that I’ve been recruiting and he is going to make a decision in the next few days.

Boise has a blue field, Western Kentucky has a red field and the other night I watched a smaller school playing on a gray field. It actually looked good. Made me think, what if we had a purple field? Orange unis on all that purple.....wow!
Maybe alternate each 5 yard strip orange and purple, that would be different! Those chrome helmets not sounding too bad now, huh?

No and Never

Dec 14, 2020, 8:01 AM

Football is a game that's made to be played on real grass.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This field

Dec 14, 2020, 8:13 AM

“This field, this game, it’s a part of our past Ray. It reminds us of what was good and could be again. Oh, people will come Ray. People will most definitely come”.
Imagine if he had said that standing on artificial turf?? Shoeless Joe would have punched him.

Turf grass management majors ain't gonna like this....***

Dec 14, 2020, 8:27 AM

It has been an ongoing discussion for the last few years...

Dec 14, 2020, 8:40 AM

and is something the BOT is considering.

The initial cost is pretty steep but it tends to pay for itself over time due to reduced maintenance costs.

The biggest obstacle seems to be that Clemson has one of the top turfgrass programs in the nation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It has been an ongoing discussion for the last few years...

Dec 14, 2020, 8:53 AM

You know that would be an odd thing. Turf science program but play on artificial. Weird.

I may be wrong about this but...

Dec 14, 2020, 8:57 AM

I believe the focus of the turfgrass program is largely centered around golf courses.

Ok now I’m curious??

Dec 14, 2020, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: It has been an ongoing discussion for the last few years... ]

Any other schools with turf science majors have artificial turf? NC State, Auburn, Kentucky ,etc? I honestly don’t know.

Penn State, Ohio State, NC State...

Dec 14, 2020, 9:29 AM

Michigan State, Georgia, Purdue, Texas A&M, Maryland and Nebraska all have good turfgrass degree programs.

About half of those schools play on artificial turf.

You can add Rutgers, Florida, Minnesota and Tennessee...

Dec 14, 2020, 9:32 AM

to that list.

Re: You can add Rutgers, Florida, Minnesota and Tennessee...

Dec 14, 2020, 9:38 AM

Wow! I guess they offer “Sweep and Vacuum 101” in those programs.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic