Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What does being a Power 5 school even mean?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

What does being a Power 5 school even mean?

Oct 9, 2019, 9:03 PM

Boise State is 13-4 vs the Pac-12 since 2006 & is better than at least 3/4 of the teams in the conference & at least 3/4 of the schools in the other Power 5 conferences combined, Power 5 is just an elitist title to keep other programs down. I still remember Boise going to Virginia & routing them 56-14, or defeating Georgia in the Georgia Dome, beating Virginia Tech, going 3-0 in the Fiesta Bowl, they are one of the top 20 programs in the country over the past 20 years, Power 5 or not.

Message was edited by: Watkins Hopkins®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being a Power 5 school means...

Oct 9, 2019, 9:09 PM

You are a school who is a member of one of the following conferences, known as the Power 5...

1) ACC
2) Big Ten
3) Big XII
4) PAC 12
5) SEC

*Not to be confused with the Group of 5, or the Independents.

Hope that helps. Have a good night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Are you an elitist?

Oct 9, 2019, 9:48 PM

You sound like an elitist.

Shirley you jest.

Oct 10, 2019, 9:57 AM

I can't even hardly put the words "Francis Marion" and "elitist" in the same sentence with a straight face. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being a Power 5 school means...

Oct 10, 2019, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Being a Power 5 school means... ]

What about The Jackson 5?

Nope, just the ones mentioned above.***

Oct 10, 2019, 12:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

And Notre Damne

Oct 10, 2019, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Being a Power 5 school means... ]

If you don't include Notre ### when discussing power five, college football will implode

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Is that in order of Power?***

Oct 10, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Being a Power 5 school means... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What does being a Power 5 school even mean?

Oct 9, 2019, 10:30 PM

Show Ignored User Posts (2)-Yeah I don't think so, what's the point? Obviously they are bridge trolls if I hit the ignore buttons on them.

so maybe Boise St should join a P5 conference

Oct 9, 2019, 10:51 PM

Otherwise what's your point?

Re: so maybe Boise St should join a P5 conference

Oct 9, 2019, 11:02 PM

Exactly if they received an offer they would join, but the clowns running the non relevant Pac 12 & the mediocre Big 12 have their domes shoved up where the sun don't shine & because of the unfair Power 5 structure it hamstrings schools like Boise & it's hard for them to find Power 5 schools who will schedule them in non-conference games

Message was edited by: Watkins Hopkins®

That is one really long sentence.

Oct 10, 2019, 10:35 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Oct 10, 2019, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: so maybe Boise St should join a P5 conference ]

The problem inherent in saying a Group of 5 team should join a Power 5 conference is this: what is a Group of 5 or even Power 5 team? The NCAA does not use nor recognize those terms. So its the media. Which then filtered into the CFP committee verbiage. Which is endorsed and sanctioned by the NCAA.

My point being you spend millions to move to a P5 this year - who is to say next year or the next they decide the conference you joined is less competitive than say AAC so the definition changes. You joined a once-Power 5 conference now relegated to Group of 5. Or maybe it becomes Power 4 and Group of 6. There is no set definition in NCAA so its a moving target.

Oct 10, 2019, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: so maybe Boise St should join a P5 conference ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Boise-State-has-the-athletic-part-at-least-football-but-26118098

Oct 9, 2019, 11:33 PM

It means you actually have a chance to play in the cfp

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2019, 11:44 PM

Exactly even if you suck like at least a third of the Power 5 schools do, not just suck, absolute trash, getting butt whoopings weekly. There are some really good schools in the American & Mountain West conferences, but they have to fight over scraps, with no shot at the playoffs ever

It means they play a weak schedule and I couldn’t

Oct 9, 2019, 11:45 PM

care less about them. Hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: It means they play a weak schedule and I couldn’t

Oct 10, 2019, 6:42 AM

You sound like an SEC turd.

No personal attacks.***

Oct 10, 2019, 6:59 AM

So does your face***

Oct 10, 2019, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: It means they play a weak schedule and I couldn’t ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

my biggest question wood be...

Oct 9, 2019, 11:59 PM

how do you not know this nostradumass?

and yes, i would like to add the apple pie to my order

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I have long suspected that eventually there

Oct 10, 2019, 6:01 AM

will be a major realignment within the conferences to produce super-conferences of at least 20 teams.

That will be when other programs like Boise State and Central Florida will have their chances to join.

Under the current alignments even though a team like Boise State msy have had some great wins over Power 5 teams, their typical schedules are considered on a lower tier than the Power 5's, and, hence, why they have a hard time being seriously considered in the CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have long suspected that eventually there

Oct 10, 2019, 10:51 AM

It'll never happen. The revenue would be split up to many ways and scheduling would be a nightmare.

Oct 10, 2019, 6:42 AM

I agree it’s stupid. Labeling these conferences gives schools a recruiting advantage and decreases parity.

If they would lose the power 5 and group of 5 label and just send all conference or better yet division champs to a legitimate playoff you’d see the smaller schools be able to recruit better and eventually compete with the “power 5”.

You’d also stop seeing the same handful of programs dominate.

I’m ok with the teams currently dominating

Oct 10, 2019, 6:58 AM

to continue doing so

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of that sounds really good until...

Oct 10, 2019, 7:03 AM [ in reply to Re: What does being a Power 5 school even mean? ]

an undefeated Boise State gets into the playoff over a one loss Clemson. Then you’d be singing a different tune, unless you’re not really a Clemson fan?

Re: All of that sounds really good until...

Oct 10, 2019, 12:22 PM

I mean, you can want a system that's more fair while ALSO wanting Clemson to do well. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

GO TIGERS

Boise State has the athletic part, at least football, but...

Oct 10, 2019, 1:18 PM

they fall well short in academics. Boise is #293 - #381, the lowest ranked PAC 12 school is tied for #140. “Fair” has nothing to do with it, but academics certainly do.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/boise-state-university-1616

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/slideshows/where-the-pac-12-colleges-rank-among-the-2017-us-news-best-colleges?slide=14

Oct 10, 2019, 7:09 AM

Oct 10, 2019, 10:07 AM

It means the ESPN pundits have something to opine about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 11:40 AM

For starters, it means being a graduate of a school where you are able to write sentences which contain the necessary elements of the English language.

https://www.dummies.com/education/language-arts/grammar/elements-of-a-complete-english-sentence/

HTH

Screw Calford.

Oct 10, 2019, 11:43 AM

Fagg

Oct 10, 2019, 11:47 AM

Watkins Hopkins® is now following Fagg

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

That you have a LOT more TV revenue money than teams like

Oct 10, 2019, 12:36 PM

Boise State.

Usually, but not always, a team with a larger athletic/recruiting budget will beat a team with a smaller athletic/recruiting budget.

How bout women's lacross?

Oct 10, 2019, 12:57 PM

Isn't the pac12 a women's lacross conference?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: How bout women's lacross?

Oct 10, 2019, 1:15 PM

No ladies volleyball, they don't really play lacrosse on the left coast

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic