Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why can't pro teams run?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Why can't pro teams run?

Dec 27, 2020, 6:43 PM

Wow where have the Jim Browns and John Riggins and offensive linemen of the past gone? Just watched the Rams fail on 3 straight plays from inside the 2. Sad football for us old timers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why can't pro teams run?

Dec 27, 2020, 6:55 PM

Those teams went away when more and more very talented QB'S started filling the ranks of college FB. And it started with more HS teams going to the passing game replacing the old option teams with air raid teams, and the QB talent from HS has grown into multi million dollar$$$$ NFL QB'S right out of college, and most of them are going to the NFL right after their junior year of college!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 7:15 PM

You don't watch the Ravens? Tied for second place with 38 consecutive games with over 100 yrds. Today, broke 200 again, have done that many times.

Dec 27, 2020, 7:22 PM

Don’t forget about Derrick Henry with the Titans. He can definitely tote the loaf .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Why can't pro teams run? ]

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-run-game-looks-unstoppable

Dec 27, 2020, 8:01 PM

In support of your question, look at the Steelers rushing stats from today. Mind blowing in a sad way! Totally one dimensional.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 8:09 PM

They’ve given up on it (the majority of them) and have devalued the RB position. That being said, there are still some decent running teams out there, and some have been mentioned. The Niners are a pretty good running team as well.

Dec 27, 2020, 8:15 PM

It’s the blocking styles. They all stand straight up and hold their arms out and push up high. Run blocking is done between the knees and the hips and they don’t want D lineman getting their knees ruined because they need them to rush the QBs who want to throw 2 out of 3 downs because the rules favor them.

Dec 27, 2020, 9:21 PM

No . . it's all the protection they give the QB now. Don't know how old you are . .but QBs from when I was a kid . was a football player. They hit, got hit, etc. Now, you can't breath on them. With the protection you give the QB, the hits you can't make to a defenseless receiver . .they set the game up for throwing. That's why so many teams throw.

Dec 27, 2020, 9:46 PM

I get all that and I am in my late 60's and remember Bart, Johnny U, Sonny, YA, Roger, Fran etc. The problem I see is when teams get to the 1 or 2 and the field is small, the defense is at an advantage in the passing game. A QB like the Deshauns, Lamar Jacksons and Murrays of the world make a huge difference. Football is cat and mouse and sometimes the mice win.

Dec 27, 2020, 9:41 PM

It’s no different from college. Some teams run the ball well, and others don’t.

Dec 27, 2020, 9:41 PM

It’s no different from college. Some teams run the ball well, and others don’t.

They can run better idividually!

Dec 27, 2020, 9:57 PM

But teams don't line up the "I" formation. Players don't run a single RB 35x per game. They spread the game among 3 RBs nowadays. Also, the WRs are on a much better level, there are many more Rice type players in the NFL.

Back in the day, the DL was 265-275, the DEs were 245, and the LBs were 220-240lbs. The RBs are the same size today and actually have got lighter. On average they are faster, more versatile, catch many more passes, and they don't bust up the middle with lead blocks.

Why to you think they had more WR studs? Because there was only one per team, rest players were blocking for run.

Just saying, its a different game!

Re: They can run better idividually!

Dec 28, 2020, 3:30 AM

Different rules. The rules set up the game to run. You can't hit anyone anymore.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic