Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Playoff Idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,576

New Playoff Idea

Oct 25, 2018, 3:37 PM

Just watched an interesting video on the playoff, here's the link:
https://youtu.be/wATftYT0R84

For the most part I like the current playoff but I agree with what is said in the video, it should be the most deserving teams not the "best" teams. It's turned into a competition of who's better on paper, and everyone says it doesn't matter who's better on paper you gotta go play the game, which is why I think it should be the most deserving teams (earn it on the field) as opposed to "best" (earning it in paper).

Here's my idea, a 6 team playoff: each power 5 conference champion and then a wild card or non power 5 team. 2 teams get a bye in the first round based on their resume. This would incentivise teams to play good non conference games. Because as is stated in the video above, if conference champions automatically get in then there's no incentive for good out of conference games. I don't agree with the current playoff completely but I don't think there's a huge need for a new system. Just an idea I had that I thought would make a good discussion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, my idea to fix the CFP is this...

Oct 25, 2018, 3:41 PM

Keep it at 4 teams and invite the 4 best teams in the country to participate, and have a playoff committee seed them 1 through 4. In the semi finals, the 1 seed would play the 4 seed and the 2 seed would play the 3 seed. The winner of each game would meet in the finals to be crowned national champions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Good post, my idea to fix the CFP is this...

Oct 25, 2018, 3:55 PM

Or just keep it as 4 and make winning your conference championship a prerequisite. That would solve your deserved it spot.

It leaves too much to chance in a conference

Oct 25, 2018, 4:07 PM

championship game.

In my opinion, there has not been a CFP where one of the best 4 teams got left out. It has worked every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: It leaves too much to chance in a conference

Oct 25, 2018, 4:26 PM

I get it, but having it a prerequisite would make the conference championship games important again. 4 best leaves to much to "eye test" it needs to be determined by play on the field especially when it comes to winning your conference. How can you honestly be the best in the nation when your not the best in your conference.

i say keep it the way it is....

Oct 25, 2018, 4:40 PM

i DO NOT like the idea of all P5 champs get in because that opens the door for a 3-4 loss team making the playoffs and I don't care that they won that one championship game..........a 3-4 loss team is NOT deserving of playing for a national title. Unless if by chance all we have are a bunch of 2-3 loss teams and the bar has to be lowered.

Re: i say keep it the way it is....

Oct 25, 2018, 5:04 PM

I feel the same way about a team who wasn't good enough to win its own conference.

In the history of the playoffs, how many teams have made the

Oct 25, 2018, 5:13 PM

playoffs without winning their conference? Bama last year, and who else?

Bama was the best team in the country all last year. They were the best team in the SEC.

Re: New Playoff Idea

Oct 25, 2018, 4:49 PM

8 conferences with 16 teams. I think there may be more than 128 teams that one other team has to get relegated back to FCS. build your schedules how you will. Conference championship week is your first round of the playoffs.

This isn't perfect but all teams start week one with a chance to make it. No at-large bids therefore no committee junk other than to figure out the seeding when down to 4.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Playoff Idea

Oct 25, 2018, 5:15 PM

If you're going to add an extra weekend, such as you suggest with 2 teams getting a bye, it would be better to make it 8 teams, 6 conference champions and 2 at large.

As it stands I don't like that some teams get the conference championship weekend off, kind of like bama did last year. I would submit that the committee pick two teams that are still in the hunt and not in a conference championship to play each other. Last year bama should have played Miami that weekend, at the stadium of whomever was ranked higher, would've been bama. At least they wouldn't have had the extra time to rest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,576
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic