Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My updated speculation on SC coaching search.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

My updated speculation on SC coaching search.

Nov 19, 2020, 8:40 PM

In order:

1. Hugh Freeze. I think there is internal discussion about him. On field Resume-wise he is clearly the best candidate. But, his off the field baggage (personal problems mainly, but also NCAA recruiting violations) have some folks balking at hiring him. If the "hire him anyway" crowd wins out, he'll get the job. If they don't then they will move to #2. But, there is one caveat. His agent is Jimmy Sexton. Sexton knows which jobs will come open in December. He knows if a better job is out there for Freeze. And, he knows if that school is interested in Freeze. As we all know, Sexton is a master at pitting two schools against each other and into a bidding war. So, if there is another school interested, Freeze may not want the job.

2. Billy Napier. He seems like the logical choice for those in the "Never Freeze" camp. His resume makes him as qualified as anybody else they could get. (Sorry, Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops ain't coming.) So, if they don't go with Freeze, the job is Napier's. Caveat. His agent is Jimmy Sexton. Everything I said above holds for Napier as well.

3. Shane Beamer. He may be the "best guy who will take the job" guy. I would find it hard to believe that he could get a better job than this one. And, for some reason (his ties to SC, his experience in the SEC) SC seems to have him higher on their list than all the other candidates. If he truly is #3 on their list, I don't' think they will have to go to #4.

I've heard several other names mentioned. I would list all of them as somewhere below these 3.
Jamey Chadwell, Steve Sarkesian, Neal Brown, Bill O'Brien, Brian Johnson, Bill Clark and a few more I don't remember right now.

Just my guess tonight. Subject to change as fast as Travis Etienne can change directions this Saturday.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My updated speculation on SC coaching search.

Nov 19, 2020, 9:00 PM

We’ve had so much luck with our interim coach, they should just go ahead and promote Bobo! ??

I’m really hoping Joe Brady hates recruiting and is happy in the NFL.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2020, 9:04 PM

They really are at a disadvantage, though. Your rival is guaranteed to beat you your first couple years as a head coach. Your state produces minimal D1 prospects, you’re surrounded by teams better and more appealing than you out of state (UNC, UT, UGA), and your mascot is not a word you want your small children yelling in public. Oh yeah, and USuCk. Maybe someone sees it as a launching pad to become Dabo’s next high-profile assistant if TE leaves in a couple years?

Go Tigers!

Seeing some traffic that the SEC Commissioner could

Nov 19, 2020, 9:07 PM

complicate things for any SEC school trying to bring Freeze back into the SEC as a coach. Apparently the SEC bylaws allow for some oversight of any prospective hire that has “engaged in unethical conduct as defined under NCAA Bylaws or who has participated in activity that resulted, or may result, in a Level I, Level II or major infraction.” Considering Freeze met all those categories during his tenure at Ole Miss, USuC may be facing considerable push back from the SEC head office if they go to hire him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2020, 10:30 PM

I'd love to see them get OBrien. That would fix them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2020, 10:46 PM

Seems like they’ve talked themselves into Beamer because of the Spurrier nostalgia and the fact that he’s drooling over the job... and why wouldn’t he be? He has no other HC prospects, kind of like Muschamp years back.

Nov 19, 2020, 10:52 PM

Bret, I don’t think a coot ever said never with any intelligence. History backs all this up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their interest in Beamer is a little surprising...

Nov 20, 2020, 8:50 AM

considering he has no head coaching experience or experience as an offensive/defensive coordinator.

Yes...he was the Assistant Head Coach at VT (under his father) and currently serves in that same capacity at Oklahoma, but the position is largely administrative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Their interest in Beamer is a little surprising...

Nov 20, 2020, 9:00 AM

I just discovered this: Jimmy Sexton is also Shane Beamer's agent.

So, whomever they choose - Freeze, Napier or Beamer - look for the guy to have a contract in the similar price range as Muschamp had, probably even higher.

Nobody in their right mind...

Nov 20, 2020, 9:15 AM

is going to pay Freeze, Beamer or Napier upwards of $4 million annually which is precisely why uof6c would likely do it.

Freeze currently makes about $2 million annually, Napier is in the $900,000 range, and Beamer's annual salary is $270,000.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nobody in their right mind...

Nov 20, 2020, 9:21 AM

Yeah, I was being just a little sarcastic. But, I assure you, whichever one of those guys gets the job will get a HUGE pay raise. I'll bet it is something the the 5 year, $15M range - fully guaranteed. If they decide they want Freeze, probably higher.

The fact that Freeze is even on their list...

Nov 20, 2020, 9:28 AM

speaks volumes. They are so desperate for football success, they will knowingly, willingly and gladly compromise what little is left of the character and integrity of their university, administrators and student-athletes for the sake a winning a few more games. Freeze is a scumbag who will have them in trouble with the NCAA and on probation within three years. He couldn't win at Ole Miss without cheating and the same holds true at uof6c. Sounds like a match made in Heaven.

Nov 20, 2020, 10:55 AM

Honest question:

Does Freeze's time at Ole Miss make him want the scar job because he already knows you can make a dumpster fire a respectable team if you are willing to cheat in the SEC, or does he not want to fight that battle again because he realizes that some programs are so far down that even with blatant cheating there is a fixed ceiling on the program?

Both, but...

Nov 20, 2020, 11:23 AM

he would be monitored more closely than an inmate on suicide watch.

I think Jamey Chadwell at Coastal is going to be high on

Nov 20, 2020, 11:10 AM

their list, along with Napier and possibly Fickell at Cincinnati. We may have seen the last of coaching retreads at SCar. They see the success Dabo has had and they're going to want a similar situation if they can get it.

If they remove the interim tag from Bobo, who is 28-35 as a HC, they will go down in history as the stupidest collection of decision makers in the history of college athletics. And to even consider Freeze defies any sort of logic and decency.

But, we ARE talking about the coots, here, aren't we?

I can envision a scenario or two where they keep Bobo...

Nov 20, 2020, 12:34 PM

Let's say he wins two of the last three (or all three) and agrees to take the job for a low salary that is not only more affordable for them, but there is no buyout. Also, their 5* QB commit has a very good relationship with Bobo and Shaw.

Ultimately, I think keeping him would pi$$-off the masses because they are ready to rid themselves of everything even remotely associated with CussChamp.

No way.. just watch espn

Nov 20, 2020, 11:38 AM

Neushesel and jim Mora know everything

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic