Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sling TV
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Sling TV

Jul 18, 2018, 10:33 PM

So, I lost my access to a Direct TV login. Considering going with Sling TV for the football season. Does anyone h e experience with it? Positive or negative stories welcome. Not looking to break the bank just to watch my Tigers play!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sling TV

Jul 18, 2018, 10:37 PM

I used it last season and it ran pretty well except for games that were on ABC. If you get an antenna for the ABC games you shouldn't have an issue, however if you can afford youtube TV @ 40/month I think it's the better option.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sling is great for football season

Jul 18, 2018, 11:07 PM

Good internet and an antenna for ABC is all you need. I suggest making a gray hoverman antenna. Better than any store bought one I tried.

Had to switch to Vue for March Madness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2018, 11:16 PM

I have had the Amazon Fire TV for a few months now with my wife learning all we can get with it, and we are cutting the cable TV cord tomorrow, and the $200 plus bucks we pay monthly. Kinda scary right here at FB season, but we will figure it out hopefully before September 1st, and surely by the 8th!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2018, 11:39 PM

Once you get used to on demand, you'll never go back

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I pay $240 per month to comcast for cable and internet. I

Jul 19, 2018, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV ]

can't wait until I get the nerve to do what you are going to do tomorrow. I figure I will have to keep the internet to stream whatever I decide to use, but that would still be cutting about $200 a month. That is like a $200 a month raise. I am no longer worried about getting my sports. I think I can figure that out, but I am worried about being able to get channels the wife like and others, etc. Kind of like what you described. I think I might try it in the Spring, but this cable bill has definitely got to go. I can't wait to cut the cord. Good luck to you.

Dang...I pay $120 for Internet and cable TV thru spectrum.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:15 AM

40 for Internet
60 for tv
20 for fees..

5 tvs..2 cable boxes. 3 rokus..1 firestick.

Charter's app works pretty good so I'm going to turn in the extra box I have and save $6 a month. Firestick is a POS..but it s on my youngest son's tv, so fork em.

Unless you want to pirate programming, get a roku.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I have to learn all about that. I don't even know what

Jul 19, 2018, 4:31 PM

Roku is, but I have heard of it. Not the age in my screen name, so there's an intimidation factor in cutting the cord and such. Like you, I have 5 tvs with 3 having DVRs and the other 2 with just cable. I'm sure that adds to my bill, but you have 5 tvs also so like I said, I can't wait to take the leap.

Jul 18, 2018, 11:18 PM

I'd highly recommend PlayStation Vue. You can get all the football you'd ever want for about $55/month.

Jul 18, 2018, 11:42 PM

So, I lost my access to a Direct TV login. Considering going with Sling TV for the football season. Does anyone h e experience with it? Positive or negative stories welcome. Not looking to break the bank just to watch my Tigers play!

I had Sling but switched to the $45/month PSVUE. Less buffering at the time and I have been happy with it. As others have said, it's a good idea to use an antenna to get your local abc because the picture for local can't be beat

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 5:31 AM

We've had Sling for close to a year. FB season went very well; we have an antenna also that someone gave me so it was a very cheap transformation. I have two Firesticks that were on sale and one Roku that was free with the Sling purchase for my three TV's, and they all work pretty well. I really don't miss cable. You probably need both Sling Orange AND Sling Blue to make everybody happy. I don't have the extra Sports package they offer, but I get enough of the ESPN's and the Fox Sports channels that I get just about everything I want. For my over-the-air local broadcasts, I ran the gifted antenna through the splitter that served the local provider's cables to my TV's. The picture quality is fine; I get about 40+ channels. The entire situation makes me wonder why I didn't cut the cable a long time ago.

I had it last year for football season and it was fine

Jul 19, 2018, 6:15 AM

I recently switched to YouTubeTV though and I'm going to try that this season.

Jul 19, 2018, 6:29 AM

Go with YouTube tv if you can. I’ve had it since october with no issues.

All locals, every sports channel you can think of, and unlimited dvr

Can any of these

Jul 19, 2018, 7:15 AM

options give you FOX Headline not simply FOX local?

YoutubeTV has ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox

Jul 19, 2018, 8:21 AM

No antenna necessary.

Re: Can any of these

Jul 19, 2018, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Can any of these ]

My play station vue package has Fox News and local news stations

Re: Can any of these

Jul 19, 2018, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Can any of these ]

You also get Fox News and most of the other major network news channels

Jul 19, 2018, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Sling TV ]

How much do you pay for YouTube TV?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2018, 10:03 AM

I found the answer to my question ($40/mo).

Here is a recent article that covers a lot:

https://www.techradar.com/news/youtube-tv-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-tv-streaming-service

You can try YouTube TV for 7 days. I also like the cloud DVR capability.

Jul 19, 2018, 7:29 AM

I've been using it since it launched a few years back, it's come a LONG way - last season, didn't have any real buffering issues. It does get a bit pricey if you need Blue+Orange+Sport Extra, but if you only do it for the football season, still a huge savings.

Regarding the ABC issue, I found that if you switched over to the WatchESPN app and entered your SlingTV credentials, you could watch the ABC game there, no local antenna needed. Might be area-specific, not sure.

Jul 19, 2018, 8:27 AM

Yes this is true too, if the weather is bad and my antennae signal isnt doing good this is exactly what I do too except using the play station vue creditials.

Jul 19, 2018, 8:30 AM

As mentioned a couple times in this thread both Sling and PlaystationVue accounts allow you access to streaming the espn app. That allows you to watch games from your phone, tablet, or if going on a trip bring your Roku, firestick, etc and watch games on whatever tv you have access to as long as there is internet

Jul 19, 2018, 8:32 AM

Hulu Live actually ends up being a better value even though it's 43.99 a month. All local channels are available, and then there's a better library of OnDemand shows and movies.

i had Sling since the beta version

Jul 19, 2018, 8:56 AM

and its good. but you def. need a good internet speed, modem, and router. You need those three for any streaming service in my opinion. I ditched sling bc I like YouTube TV better. Its more expensive but you get the local channels and a few other options. I like that I don't have to switch over to antenna if I want to watch something on ABC, NBC, or CBS.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:08 AM

Sling TV is garbage in my experience. I had it for a couple months and went running back to Direct TV.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:16 AM

I have had both Sling and YouTube. Currently have YouTube. I keep it simply because of the local channels and better sports channels (MLB Network is included). My wife doesn't like it because no HGTV or Food Network. Did like Sling in that I thought it was more user friendly and didn't seam to freeze up as much as Youtube. If Sling had local channels, I would probably go back to them.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:31 AM

I had Sling for most of last season & the buffering drove me nuts. I switched to YoutubeTV going into the post season & couldn't be happier with it. No buffering issues - the World Cup thing kind of sucked, by I got a free week out of that deal. It has frozen up a few (I could count them on one hand) times, but I change the channel & go right back & it works fine. The DVR is an added bonus too.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:28 AM

I live in Aiken (SC) and it says YoutubeTV is not available here when I try to sign up. I wonder how long it will take for it to become available in the smaller cities.

Jul 19, 2018, 9:33 AM

Before it was available in my area, I signed up while in Atlanta & it worked perfectly. I had local Atl. channels, but once my area was added, I called & they switched me right over & even kept my at my older price level.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:40 AM

The service itself is fine. I have had it for over 2 years with no issues... but it is only as good as your internet connection. If you can run it using a hard wired connection, it is better.. but if you go wifi, make sure you dont go on the cheap for your router. You want a good router and you want to be on the 5Ghz band.

Jul 19, 2018, 10:43 AM

My personal recommendation is Hulu TV. You get all of the ESPN channels (either in the Hulu app or the ESPN app, the former of which sometimes runs better during more popular college football games). After you add the sports package to Sling and all of that, Hulu is only slightly more expensive, but you get:

- Arguably better streaming since I think Sling passes through ESPN's streaming whereas Hulu does their own
- 2 devices at once instead of 1
- For a little bit more, you get access to Hulu's entire on-demand library as well

No matter what you go with, however, I highly recommend switching from standard cable to streaming cable if your Internet is good enough. No hookups are needed, you literally get your cable THAT DAY as soon as your payment goes through, you can watch cable while not at home, and usually it's just cheaper overall anyway. The only real downsides are that you need decent Internet for it to work (nowadays, not a problem for most) and that some services don't include local channels (which isn't a problem because you can get those for free with an antenna and converter box anyway).

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic