Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

TNET: As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever

Sep 23, 2020, 8:01 AM

As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever

The age of COVID is changing the way many college head coaches go about their business, and a lot of them are finding out or will find out that Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney’s is the best way. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever

Sep 23, 2020, 8:14 AM

So, let me get this straight...... if a team doesn’t have any depth, all they need to do is “postpone” their game? Gotcha.

Re: TNET: As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever

Sep 23, 2020, 1:44 PM

That is the way it seems to be thus far in this covid-19 season. But if I was a recruit looking for the best place to play FB, I would look for a school that done the most to look after my well being like it appears that Dabo and Clemson does. I would also look for a place where I could play early so that I would have some game experience after my freshman season when I really expected to play, and a smart recruit should look to see how many freshman gets playing time at every school. I would also know that one school couldn't take but a certain number of new players every season, and unless I was one of the most elite players coming out of HS, and there is only a dozen or less of them every season, I would commit early at a school that played a lot of freshman on average every season, and if they are concerned about early playing time, I think that Clemson should be one of the top schools that they are looking at, bc they can play early at Clemson, and if they work hard enough, they can play a lot as a true freshman at Clemson.

I think that is the reason that Clemson is getting recruits that are coming in from all over the country, they see an opportunity to play early and often. That helps with making Dabo look to be one of the smartest HC's in college FB bc his plan wins games year in and year out, and he's doing it by playing a lot of young players all through the season. Dabo has taken the new NCAA rule with playing players up to 4 games, and he has made that rule work with helping to get players ready with good game experience, and there has been times that it has shown that a freshman is ready to play before pinning a redshirt on a player bc the new rule has allowed him to look at young players throughout the season that can serve the team with depth during the championship season!!! Yes Dabo is one of the smartest HCes in college FB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 8:14 AM

So, let me get this straight...... if a team doesn’t have any depth, all they need to do is “postpone” their game? Gotcha.

Apparently nobody wrote letters to Swinney as suggested

Sep 23, 2020, 8:23 AM

How will CDS ever learn to coach if TNET doesn't write to him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Apparently nobody wrote letters to Swinney as suggested

Sep 23, 2020, 11:41 AM

This man gets it! TigerNet coaches rule!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 12:42 PM

Finally, somebody noticed our coaching is off the charts!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Sep 23, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Apparently nobody wrote letters to Swinney as suggested ]

It would be pretty tough on him I'm guessing ;)!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 8:31 AM

Some of these teams really need to get more serious about playing this season. Seriously, how hard is it to find 53 platers ready to go out of a team with over 100, with 85 being scholarship players? A few years ago I recall Maryland having some roster issues and they didn't cancel or postpone any games, they found a way to play.

Cancelling or postponing only because your best players are unavailable is not trying hard enough! The league needs to force these teams to play or take a forfeit, maybe then we'll see them take it seriously.

Otherwise, this season will be over before the end of October.

Just my two cents.

Go Tigers!!!

Sep 23, 2020, 8:36 AM

All I've heard so far regarding Notre Dame is that the positive tested did not participate in the USF game, so assume, not starters, not stars. However, there were a number of others quarantined due to contact tracing.

The elephant in the room is this; Would ND stand a chance against Wake even with a few starters out? I think they'd still beat them.

Sep 23, 2020, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever ]

ABC Tiger said:

Some of these teams really need to get more serious about playing this season. Seriously, how hard is it to find 53 platers ready to go out of a team with over 100, with 85 being scholarship players? A few years ago I recall Maryland having some roster issues and they didn't cancel or postpone any games, they found a way to play.

Cancelling or postponing only because your best players are unavailable is not trying hard enough! The league needs to force these teams to play or take a forfeit, maybe then we'll see them take it seriously.

Otherwise, this season will be over before the end of October.

Just my two cents.

Go Tigers!!!

Amen to that.

Sep 23, 2020, 1:59 PM

That has been my thoughts all along. Like in racing, you race what you bring, and you win or lose with what you brought to race!!!

College FB has 85 scholarship players, and these teams that are cancelling games, they are cancelling bc their best player/players are out. And it should be the same as an injury, next man up!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

Where is the 53 coming from?

Sep 23, 2020, 8:56 AM

The SEC and Big XII have both announced the requirement to have 53 players (along with 1 QB, 7 OL, & 4DL) though they differ in what they count.

The ACC has not, to my knowledge (and I have definitely looked for it), made any similar policy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't that the number pro teams carry?***

Sep 23, 2020, 3:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 10:05 AM

News flash.....Dabo Swinney has looked like the smartest coach in the country for several years now. This is just one more reason for others to see it.

Yet.. The snowflakes on here get in their feelings..

Sep 23, 2020, 10:19 AM

When 2nd and 3rd stringers get put in the game during a blowout...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 10:38 AM

80% OF GAMES HAVE BEEN PLAYED. MOST OF THE 20% HAVE BEEN RESCHEDULED. IF NOT FOR THIS IDIOTIC CONTACT TRACING ALL WOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYED.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone think that Clemson's non-starters would win ACC?

Sep 23, 2020, 10:43 AM

Take the 24 starters (include kicker/punter) completely out of the equation...

At this point, I believe the odds would be rather high on that- even with the whiney Notre Dame and all of their excuses, the Tigers talent is so far & above the rest of the other teams. I'll take a WAG that at least half of our 2nd string would start on about 12 of the 16 schools.

Re: Anyone think that Clemson's non-starters would win ACC?

Sep 23, 2020, 12:46 PM

We’ve never been as talented overall, right now!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Sep 23, 2020, 1:49 PM

I think that with TL-16 as the starting QB, we could win most of our ACC games with 2nd and 3d string players!!!

Sep 23, 2020, 2:14 PM

Sadly, I think you're exactly right. The league is simply atrociously uncompetitive again this season.

It helps us get to the CFP (especially this year b/c without the PAC12 we control our own destiny to the CFP outright), but it costs us recognition, rankings, and awards like the Heisman itself.

I CRAVE big games, especially because we're so good right now at Clemson; I sincerely believe Clemson is elite.

Sep 24, 2020, 12:46 PM

Absolutely, and the only time we get to see our Clemson Tiger FB team play in a highly competitive game, is when the playoffs come around at season end. I sometimes wonder if the majority of our Tiger fan base realizes how lucky we were that Dabo wasn't the kind of man that could accept mediocrity as long as it was good enough to keep his job because, it do seem that a top 5 HC in the ACC can keep their job indefinitely without their athletic department, and their fan base demanding more from their FB program....

Sep 23, 2020, 1:16 PM

I think that with Dabo's record of wins and losses for at least the past 8 seasons, he do appear to be the smartest HC in all of college FB. I have surely believed that he was the smartest HC for the past 6 seasons, and he hasn't done anything that proves that he's not!!! Go Dabo, Go Tigers!!!!

Sep 23, 2020, 2:08 PM

Last week we universally hated on the B1G for playing fewer games (not me or Dabo, at least), but now ACC games are being dropped left and right, plus our starters are only playing half-games altogether.

How many lost game opportunities or half-games does it take to count? Frankly I think ND & UNC should still be allowed to compete for an ACC title & I don't think champions are afraid of playing anyone, ever.

But again, maybe that's just me and Dabo. Go Tigers!

You gonna feel the same way if OSU only plays 5?

Sep 23, 2020, 2:34 PM

I’m not worried about unc missing a game but there are limits for everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You gonna feel the same way if OSU only plays 5?

Sep 23, 2020, 3:03 PM

So what are those limits? 2 games?

I haven't heard anyone suggest it should have anything to do with competition, just a sheer number value of "full" games, but personally is it just the one or is two too many? Sincere question, promise.

Sep 23, 2020, 3:04 PM

And no, I don't think so.

Then again, if we only play 5 games here at CU & none of them are ranked opponents & one of them is FCS Citadel, maybe?

Still, that didn't stop everyone but Dabo from the same claim last week is all, know what I mean?

Sep 24, 2020, 10:39 AM

A study just came out saying that 50% - 100% of all the current test positives are false.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2020, 12:55 PM [ in reply to You gonna feel the same way if OSU only plays 5? ]

There are limits on how many FB scholarships a FB program can give out, and as long as a team has players that can play from those 85 scholarships, they must play the game regardless of how good those players are. They are on a FB scholarship, spot the ball, line them up and play them!!!

Sep 24, 2020, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: As postponements mount, building depth the Swinney way more important than ever ]

This season is reminding me of the NFL replacement teams that year they had the strike.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic